Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PACG has broken the BGG top 100 games of all time! Anyone care to speculate on how far it will go during this "honeymoon period" and where we should expect it to settle in a few years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that this is a gaming phenomenon.

Ever expanding community,
Infinite Expansions and adventures,
Room for many twists and rules,
Fan made scenarios.

I'm guessing it will end inside the top 20!

They sure must speed up the expansion needs for adventuring!!!
Bimonthly, is way too afar from each other!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a fun game. It's rating is based on "cult of the new." I have no idea how high it will make it (top 50?), but I see it settling around top 300-400 in a couple years, once people tire of it (e.g. played through it and realize there are deeper games they'd rather try than running through Pathfinder ACG's rather repetitive scenarios again).

Where did Risk: Legacy end up? Hmmm... still #92. OK, it might take several years for Pathfinder ACG to drop, if ever. I guess some people don't update their ratings (?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think games ever settle anywhere. There's forever new stuff pushing them out. Tigris & Euphrates used to be number 1 and it's down to 24. However, I do agree that PACG and its successors will be highly ranked for a long time to come. My guess is that this game and its successor (the next adventure path) will be in the Top 100 at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
I don't think games ever settle anywhere.

Well, other than Twilight Struggle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
You've been here a long time, you know what we thought about Puerto Rico :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
It's a fun game. It's rating is based on "cult of the new." I have no idea how high it will make it (top 50?), but I see it settling around top 300-400 in a couple years, once people tire of it (e.g. played through it and realize there are deeper games they'd rather try than running through Pathfinder ACG's rather repetitive scenarios again).

Where did Risk: Legacy end up? Hmmm... still #92. OK, it might take several years for Pathfinder ACG to drop, if ever. I guess some people don't update their ratings (?).
Completely agree, although I think it settles in the mid 100s eventually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Louisiana State UniversityMicrobadge: Low Player Count: a podcast about games for 1-2 playersMicrobadge: The Colonists (Die Kolonisten) fanMicrobadge: Musician
My guess is somewhere between 101 and 299, heavily dependent on changes Paizo makes to production quality as well as what happens after the RotR AP is finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
My guess is somewhere between 101 and 299, heavily dependent on changes Paizo makes to production quality as well as what happens after the RotR AP is finished.
I think I agree. I suspect that Mike's team has learned a lot from making (and constantly remaking) this game. I also suspect that the popularity of this game will mean that we can expect a new adventure path in the future (probably with an entirely new base set). So, I think that when the new, shinier, and more refined PACGII arrives, this one will begin to fall on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That is hard to say, the top 100 doesn't seem to be so much about the best games but the most popular at release (with some exceptions). It is very suspicious that 1/3 of the list is less than 3 years old, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Strategicon attendeeMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Picture of the Year - 1st placeMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
At some point I think it will be at 107.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLean
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I find it very interesting that it has cracked the top 100. I'm not at all surprised by its massive popularity - the Pathfinder RPG has been the hottest RPG for a few years now, and Paizo have brought that audience to the card game. The card game delivers a rules-lite RPG experience to those Pathfinder RPG fans in such a way that it takes out all the burden of being a GM. (I'm probably preaching to the choir here.)

What does surprise me is that the PFACG has hit such popularity here. Whilst I do see a bit of crossover between RPG-gamers picking up board games I didn't think there was enough of it to warrant such popularity on BBG.

Huzzah to such a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slacks wrote:
That is hard to say, the top 100 doesn't seem to be so much about the best games but the most popular at release (with some exceptions). It is very suspicious that 1/3 of the list is less than 3 years old, for example.
There's probably a few reasons for that. For one, assuming the player population on BGG is expanding year over year, that means there are more total players ranking games now than in previous years. And the games that are being added now are going to generally be newer games since many older games are either already ranked by older players or are not as easily available to newer players. So newer games get more total reviews than older games in a given year.

Second, I wouldn't be surprised if the BGG ranking system uses a weighting system that progressively gives less weight to older ranking than newer rankings. That's because very few people delete or change their old rankings on games that rated a long time ago and now potentially outdated rankings from people who don't even visit the site any more linger on. So an obvious way to help filter out those obsolete rankings to get a clearer picture of what players CURRENTLY think of a game is to not give old rankings as much total weight in the final total score.

A third reason would be that, as you said, people rate games in the heat of the moment, so most of the time ranking will be generally positive and then slip a bit down the road. Most people probably don't revise their rankings downward as often as they rank new games, so that would keep rankings artificially high a little bit.

And a final reason is that, at least in my opinion, board games overall improve over time. Better production quality, more refined rules, taking lessons from previous games when designing new games, and so on, all contribute to making the general quality of board games (hopefully) improve over the course of time. If you compare board games now to board games from 20 years ago, for instance, you'll find that board games now are generally better than they were back then (obviously there are some exceptions of great, old games, but there are also a TON of bad old games). So even if the other factors I mentioned above weren't present, I would still expect new games to have slightly higher overall ratings than older games on average.

Of course that's all just my speculation, but hopefully it at least sounds logical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't speculate on where it ends up, but it certainly is having a good debut!

I do think that the game will have legs, though, if for no other reason than they are 100% certain to have five expansions in the coming year and probably another box set after that with more expansions. That will pretty much guarantee that the game will continue to generate enough buzz to get more new players who will probably continue to give roughly the same ranks as new players give it now. The game probably wouldn't dip too much until it actually goes out of print. (Just a guess)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote Led Zepplin there's a 'Whole Lotta Love' for this game at the moment, top 20 I would say and top 3 customizable surprise......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Eldritch Horror: Cities in Ruin fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror: Dreamlands fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore fan Microbadge: Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror: Masks of Nyarlathotep fan
kergenramirez wrote:
To quote Led Zepplin there's a 'Whole Lotta Love' for this game at the moment, top 20 I would say and top 3 customizable surprise......
Yes, there's no communication breakdown when it comes to displaying this game's popularity!
After I ordered the game and as the package was going to California, I didn't know what kind of solo experience to expect.
Initially navigating the rulebook left me dazed and confused!
There have been good times and bad times for the heroes playing the scenarios, but that's the way it plays out.
But now with fifty plus games on my turn game table, Pathfinder ACG is getting all my (solitaire) love.
Ten years gone, who knows where it will settle on the list?

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on. It's nobody's fault but mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
kergenramirez wrote:
Yes, there's no communication breakdown when it comes to displaying this game's popularity!
After I ordered the game and as the package was going to California, I didn't know what kind of solo experience to expect.
Initially navigating the rulebook left me dazed and confused!
There have been good times and bad times for the heroes playing the scenarios, but that's the way it plays out.
But now with fifty plus games on my turn game table, Pathfinder ACG is getting all my (solitaire) love.
Ten years gone, who knows where it will settle on the list?

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on. It's nobody's fault but mine.
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Eldritch Horror: Cities in Ruin fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror: Dreamlands fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror: Forsaken Lore fan Microbadge: Eldritch Horror: Mountains of Madness fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror: Masks of Nyarlathotep fan
mike selinker wrote:
No way, sir. Thank you!
It's an amazing game. Stupidly losing Harsk shook me up.
Now I do my homework before attempting any scenario!
I don't own any game I play solitaire that makes me care for my characters and time and effort. Thanks again.

By the way, at 0:30 of the video it sort of looks like Paizo's logo.
Nice ad placement to the video's uploader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls