Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
In addition to being a game designer, I’m also a writer, so the urge to include thematic bits in my games was always too hard to resist. When growing up, I loved the richly detailed and beautifully illustrated game behemoths coming from America and later came to appreciate the simple elegance and ingenuity of design of European-style games. In my own designs I stride, above all else, to marry those two sometimes very distant philosophies. End of Atlantis came from that desire to create a highly thematic, immersive “euro” game.

I was always fascinated with the myths of Atlantis. A techno-ancient utopia that disappeared beneath the waves sounded like something that might make a great backdrop for a game. So that’s where I started: with the concepts of the Atlantean Senate and Assembly, the warring factions, from the engineers and tinkers to the esoteric oracles, the shapeshifter spies, telepathic agents and the almighty power source that is the orichalcum. I imagined a clash of classical Greek designs with a futuristic look, and Jakub Jabłoński realized that vision with flair. Then came the story: noble houses fighting over the last few evacuation ships and the impending doom.

So you might be wondering: how does it play? Well, EoA will require you to manage a limited pool of resources and try to predict the moves of your opponents (so you can foil them or take advantage of them). You will try to place as many of your refugees on board of the evacuation ships and then send those ships to safety. You will do that by any means necessary: bribery, assassinations and sabotage, everything’s on the table.

You will never be able to complete all the actions you’ve planned, so you’ll have to choose carefully, which ones you want to scrap and which are essential. Finally, you will have to be mindful of the changing events on Atlantis itself: some will benefit you, some may hinder you; also, the passage of time will bring new classes of ships into commission.

And that’s EoA in a nutshell. Stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.