Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The next session of the Orleans Game Group will be held on Thursday October 10, 2013.

Bring your new games, or knock the dust off of some of your old ones!

We usually start just after 6:30 and go 'til about 10:00pm.

The address is: The Canadian Legion, Branch 632 - Orleans, 800 Taylor Creek Road. 

We meet upstairs. There is a bar and snacks and now hot food is also sometimes available so please don't bring in something from outside.

You should also bring $2.00 as a donation for the Legion.

Also, please thumb up this post to move it to the boardgamegeek front page to attract more gamers and tell your friends to come out and play!

Please note that hats are not allowed in the Legion and that one must dress and act respectfully.

You can see our schedule as well as other local gamers nights via the Ottawa Area Gamers Guild's Calendar on BGG - click here -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

We are also listed on the Ottawa Geek Social Club! http://www.meetup.com/ottawa-geek-social-club/events/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You'll all have to put up with me this week too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On a side note, got two more figures painted this weekend for Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game.

Guenhwyvar, which i'm not thrilled with as i hate painting figures black, but...she's a black panther...what are ya gonna do, eh? Well, actually...i painted her dark gray with several washes of black ink. She's almost black, but distinguishable from the base, which actually is black. The ink just didn't define the muscles quite the way i hoped. Anyway...like i said...hate painting black figures, so good enough for now.

Also painted Bruenor. He was pretty labour intensive as i trimmed out his armour in gold. Question for those who are familiar with the character and the physical model...do you think the shield on the model is meant to be wood or metal. My recollection is that it is wood. That and the shield on the model has what appears to be chunks missing out of it, which further implies wood, but since these are fairly cheap models, they never bothered to mold a wood grain texture on it. So...opinion...wood or metal? Also...he appears to have an eye patch over his left eye, which i don't recall from any of the lore. Opinion...is that an eye patch or just more bad molding?

EDIT: A quick search demonstrated that he did lose an eye at one point, but it was subsequently regenerated. Don't know why they'd bother to mold him with an eye patch. Maybe it's relevant to the scenario in the game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Cameron Jones & Board Games for Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario supporterMicrobadge: Game Artisans of Canada memberMicrobadge: I design board games... poorly.
Cam and I will try to make it out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm out for this week, gonna play some magic downtown.

(wait for jason to thumbs up this :p)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
I'm out for this week, gonna play some magic downtown.

(wait for jason to thumbs up this )
LMAO!

You misunderstand me...i enjoy your company, i just don't identify with your more narrow view of what constitutes fun. Makes for interesting conversation, at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I aim to be there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Horton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHAOS i AM wrote:
On a side note, got two more figures painted this weekend for Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game.

Guenhwyvar, which i'm not thrilled with as i hate painting figures black, but...she's a black panther...what are ya gonna do, eh? Well, actually...i painted her dark gray with several washes of black ink. She's almost black, but distinguishable from the base, which actually is black. The ink just didn't define the muscles quite the way i hoped. Anyway...like i said...hate painting black figures, so good enough for now.

Also painted Bruenor. He was pretty labour intensive as i trimmed out his armour in gold. Question for those who are familiar with the character and the physical model...do you think the shield on the model is meant to be wood or metal. My recollection is that it is wood. That and the shield on the model has what appears to be chunks missing out of it, which further implies wood, but since these are fairly cheap models, they never bothered to mold a wood grain texture on it. So...opinion...wood or metal? Also...he appears to have an eye patch over his left eye, which i don't recall from any of the lore. Opinion...is that an eye patch or just more bad molding?

EDIT: A quick search demonstrated that he did lose an eye at one point, but it was subsequently regenerated. Don't know why they'd bother to mold him with an eye patch. Maybe it's relevant to the scenario in the game...
Check out the Forgotten Realms wiki for story and background on the D&D games. They have a picture of Bruenor with metal shield there. I went with a metal shield.
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Type in the search field - Bruenor Battlehammer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Beetham
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
Why why why didn't I set up a RRGSP! (Registered Retired Gamer Saving Plan)
badge
So many games.... so little time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting Jason!

Alas I was called out of town on the last minute and didn't have access to a computer - appreciate you covering for me/us

I should be there this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
electronicdad wrote:
CHAOS i AM wrote:

Check out the Forgotten Realms wiki for story and background on the D&D games. They have a picture of Bruenor with metal shield there. I went with a metal shield.

Yeah. I had seen this. I always look up some reference material first whenever I'm painting a miniature.

I went with a wood shield for Bruenor. I just couldn't get past the idea of a metal shield with a chunk hacked out of it, and I'm sure I remember from the lore that it was wood and hacked up pretty good.

Got most of Wulfgar done tonight. These models are so inconsistent with the level of detail. Wulfgar's furs have really nice detail, but his upper legs are horrible. He's wearing some sort of bands around his thighs that are just a lumpy mess of bumps.

And I got looking at Catti-brie and she is almost completely smooth, there is practically no detail to her model whatsoever. It looks like the sculptor just gave up. LOL

Sigh...I guess that's what you get when you get 40 miniatures and a whole game for $60ish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just bought The Downfall of Pompeii. I played it 2 player this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Hoping to play with 3 or 4 tomorrow night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Horton
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHAOS i AM wrote:
electronicdad wrote:
CHAOS i AM wrote:

Yeah. I had seen this. I always look up some reference material first whenever I'm painting a miniature.

I went with a wood shield for Bruenor. I just couldn't get past the idea of a metal shield with a chunk hacked out of it, and I'm sure I remember from the lore that it was wood and hacked up pretty good.

Got most of Wulfgar done tonight. These models are so inconsistent with the level of detail. Wulfgar's furs have really nice detail, but his upper legs are horrible. He's wearing some sort of bands around his thighs that are just a lumpy mess of bumps.

And I got looking at Catti-brie and she is almost completely smooth, there is practically no detail to her model whatsoever. It looks like the sculptor just gave up. LOL

Sigh...I guess that's what you get when you get 40 miniatures and a whole game for $60ish.
If you want to see how the pro's at WOC painted the D&D miniatures check out the following site (link to Bruenor);
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/125232

The Balor miniature goes for $45, see the following;
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/125348

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
electronicdad wrote:
CHAOS i AM wrote:
electronicdad wrote:
CHAOS i AM wrote:

If you want to see how the pro's at WOC painted the D&D miniatures check out the following site (link to Bruenor);
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/125232

The Balor miniature goes for $45, see the following;
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/125348

I think my Bruenor is much prettier than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was informed this morning that I am attending a baby shower at 5pm tonight soblue

The good news is I am still coming out, but I will be extraordinarily late (read 7:30-8).
Even if I end up only watching a game it'll be worth the jaunt to the Legion - and perhaps I'll bring a solo game or two to show off!

I'm looking forward to it either way.

SIDE NOTE: I recently had the opportunity to play Smash Up (with both expansions included) and I pretty much hated it. I won the game, but it was SO slow and my drafted card combination was lacking. I'd give it another try again, but can't say that I would be super excited about it. Any other opinions out there on this popular dud?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kennigo wrote:
So, I was informed this morning that I am attending a baby shower at 5pm tonight soblue

The good news is I am still coming out, but I will be extraordinarily late (read 7:30-8).
Even if I end up only watching a game it'll be worth the jaunt to the Legion - and perhaps I'll bring a solo game or two to show off!

I'm looking forward to it either way.

SIDE NOTE: I recently had the opportunity to play Smash Up (with both expansions included) and I pretty much hated it. I won the game, but it was SO slow and my drafted card combination was lacking. I'd give it another try again, but can't say that I would be super excited about it. Any other opinions out there on this popular dud?
The first time i played it, i hated it too. There was just too much info to read and keep track of. I swore i'd never play it again. Alas...it came up by popular demand on a night there wasn't too many of us, so i decided to go along for the group. I get to choose lots of games. Instead of trying to keep track of everything i just focused on one base. Wasn't playing to win. Just trying to get through the game. In the end, i did win. That experience didn't change my opinion of the game. I still don't like it. And it seems odd that i pulled off a win playing in the fashion that i did. Anyway, i wouldn't outright refuse to play if that is what the group was playing, but i'll never ask to play either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kennigo wrote:
Also dislike this game for pretty much the same reasons Jason mentioned: too many complicated interactions to keep track of. Oh, that guy just played 7 robots? Now this guy's pirate shows up out of nowhere on someone elses turn? and the bear guy is killing off everything everywhere every turn? The board state is so volatile that strategy is pretty much impossible and it becomes a waste of time to even pay attention to what anyone else is doing (as Jason showed with his second play).

The combination of not needing to pay attention to what anyone else is doing with those same actions radically affecting your board state is a complete failure of mechanics imo. Good games either have a manageable amount of information to process from other players (libertalia, colosseum, ra), or limited impact on your board from what other players do (7 wonders, dominion). Too much information tracking will ruin a game as surely as a void of interaction will. Smash up somehow manages to hit both ends of the spectrum at the same time :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CHAOS i AM wrote:
The first time i played it, i hated it too. There was just too much info to read and keep track of. I swore i'd never play it again. Alas...it came up by popular demand on a night there wasn't too many of us, so i decided to go along for the group. I get to choose lots of games. Instead of trying to keep track of everything i just focused on one base. Wasn't playing to win. Just trying to get through the game. In the end, i did win. That experience didn't change my opinion of the game. I still don't like it. And it seems odd that i pulled off a win playing in the fashion that i did. Anyway, i wouldn't outright refuse to play if that is what the group was playing, but i'll never ask to play either.
aitrus wrote:
Also dislike this game for pretty much the same reasons Jason mentioned: too many complicated interactions to keep track of. Oh, that guy just played 7 robots? Now this guy's pirate shows up out of nowhere on someone elses turn? and the bear guy is killing off everything everywhere every turn? The board state is so volatile that strategy is pretty much impossible and it becomes a waste of time to even pay attention to what anyone else is doing (as Jason showed with his second play).

The combination of not needing to pay attention to what anyone else is doing with those same actions radically affecting your board state is a complete failure of mechanics imo. Good games either have a manageable amount of information to process from other players (libertalia, colosseum, ra), or limited impact on your board from what other players do (7 wonders, dominion). Too much information tracking will ruin a game as surely as a void of interaction will. Smash up somehow manages to hit both ends of the spectrum at the same time :S
Nice.
I am glad to see there are others who think like me. I was stuck in a five player game and everyone else was having fun and doing their thing and I sat quietly waiting (and waiting and waiting) for my next turn. My turn consisted of always playing a dinosaur minion and then a modifier action (+2 +4, etc ...). Everyone else was cycling through their deck (wizards and locals particularly) and spamming the table with riff raff that didn't add up to much. After nearly an hour of this, 4 minutes of which was probably actual gameplay for myself, I placed a minion and broke a base and won. Like Jason, I played with blinders on and was looking only for my own gain and shocked the table with my win. I was SO happy to play that card as the game FINALLY ended. Strategy was zero, as I only played on the base nearest to where I was sitting as jumping into the chaotic mess of piles on other bases seemed hardly worth it.
Lame.
It is worth noting that my second faction was Ghost. After reading some strategy threads I have seen the Dinosaur/Ghost smash up mentioned several times as a weak (read: losing) combination.

I am glad I had a chance to play as my experience has eliminated Smash Up from my want list. It is also kind of good in a way to have my first not-fun board gaming experience since getting into the hobby. I have always found some element of enjoyment out of every game I have played, but really took nothing away from this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Cameron Jones & Board Games for Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario supporterMicrobadge: Game Artisans of Canada memberMicrobadge: I design board games... poorly.
I (and Cam) actually really like Smash Up. It does help to become a bit familiar with the cards though before had. If you quickly read over a few cards before you start, you can often get a good idea of how the cards play together and do quite well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
madhattersneverland wrote:
I (and Cam) actually really like Smash Up. It does help to become a bit familiar with the cards though before had. If you quickly read over a few cards before you start, you can often get a good idea of how the cards play together and do quite well.
For me...i can deal with the fact that my best laid plans are useless by the time it gets back to me, i just dislike how much info there is to keep track of. On the other had, i guess you don't have to keep track as Stephen and i both experienced. Ah well...can't love them all. I could see where the game might be acceptable as a two player experience where there is less to keep track of if you want to try to play out a strategy, and with only one other player you stand a chance of pulling something off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Morning report...

Myself, Justin, Martin, and Rick started off with The Downfall of Pompeii. I didn't do an exact count, but i think we each managed to get between 15-18 people into the city in the first phase. Then Rick managed a win with nine people saved once the lava started flowing in the second phase. This is a fairly tense and ruthless game. I enjoyed it thoroughly! Seriously though, it is a very good game, but you have to be okay with some direct conflict. Other players are going to throw your people in the volcano, and you just can't save everyone.

Next up, Rick bowed out and James joined us for a game of Sunrise City. This was a great game that i would place one step above gateway (ticket to ride, settlers, etc) in terms of difficulty. It involves role selection which determines both player order and your unique ability for the round, zoning out new properties, bidding on said properties and then building your skyscrappers. I was the shining star...pun intended as the victory condition is to collect stars.

Don't know what was played at the other tables...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kieswetter
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben and I both arrived closer to 7, so we decided to start our own table and attack a newly purchased copy of Circus Train (Second edition). Ben played it for the first time earlier this week and had just purchased his own copy. It was still sealed! So he cracked it open and we started punching parts and he began to explain the rules.

Firstly, the artwork is awesome and the overall vibe of a prohibition era travelling circus is really well presented.

The general jist of the game is this: you play cards from your hand that allow you different actions like moving your train to a new city, performing or hiring new talent (clowns, acrobats, elephants etc). As you perform you gain performance points and this allows you to earn money to hire more talent and so on. The game is broken down into several months. Victory points are scored after each month and there is a final scoring period at the end of the game.

It took us all evening to play the game but it was well worth it (that includes all the punching set-up and learning)! I encourage Ben to bring it again and definitely feel our regulars would enjoy it a lot. I'd play it again in a second and feel it would only get better as the strategy becomes more apparent. The balance between managing your talent (who you have to pay wages to), improving your performance rating and keeping an eye on your reputation makes for a deep and multifaceted experience.

Recommended!

SIDE NOTE: I was running errands this morning and bought a copy of Survivor for $3 at Value Village. Question is, who wants to play with me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kennigo wrote:
SIDE NOTE: I was running errands this morning and bought a copy of Survivor for $3 at Value Village. Question is, who wants to play with me?
I read that as "Survive"...as in "Survive: Escape from Atlantis!" ...and was very jealous. Then i realized my mistake, and now i'm not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Hartwick
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kennigo wrote:
travelling circus
kennigo wrote:
definitely feel our regulars would enjoy it a lot.
You mean we can finally put all these clowns together in a circus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Jones
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
CHAOS i AM wrote:

Don't know what was played at the other tables...
Table 2 played cutthroat game of Cutthroat Caverns followed but Takenoko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Chapple
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
aitrus wrote:
kennigo wrote:
travelling circus
kennigo wrote:
definitely feel our regulars would enjoy it a lot.
You mean we can finally put all these clowns together in a circus?
Can't believe I missed the opportunity to make the clown/circus joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |