Summoner Wars: Master Set» Forums » General

Subject: What's the best way to get a second mat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was all ready to play 4-players, but then realized the box only came with enough board for 2 players angry

What's the best thing to purchase that comes with another board? Or should I just make my own out of graph paper, so 2 players will have a nice board, and 2 players will have a welfare board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a board they are available separately: http://www.plaidhatgames.com/store/17 (or I'm sure your FLGS could probably order you one).

If you don't mind a paper mat, they come with Summoner Wars: Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs and Summoner Wars: Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perfect, I suppose I'll pick one of these up.

Do you think this game is possible 6-players with 6 mats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:

I do not recommend playing multiplayer on the same boards. If you have 4 (or 6) players, do multiple 2-player games, maybe in a round-robin tournament fashion. Despite the marketing, this is a 2 player game (and quite a good one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:

I assume you meant 6 players on 3 mats?

There's nothing official, but I see no reason why you couldn't expand it in the same manner as you do with 4 players. I have no idea what that would be like, but it's an interesting idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an extra board -- if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andy.rice@att.net wrote:

Thanks for the offer, but I'll probably take Dave's advice and purchase the two sets that come with boards (as they will also come with new summoner decks).

Thanks again all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once asked Colby about 6-player games, and he said there is way too much downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo what others said: it's playable with 4 as a 2v2 and can be fun, but you're much better off to split into 2 1v1 games. We played a lot of 2v2s when I first got the game, but once we started playing the 2P game as intended the games got shorter, cleaner, and more fun.

Also, several of the other players thought you still got to warp around the side of the board in a 2P, so be warned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barliman wrote:
I once asked Colby about 6-player games, and he said there is way too much downtime.

What about simultaneous play amongst teams?

aka all three players from team 1 play first,

then all three players from team 2,

etc..

In MTG (two-headed giant) this method works out very well for team matches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noble Knave
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine it'd be easy to pretty much eliminate a player's entire board state before they go again. I think that's why the 4 Player is ABAB.

I would recommend having people learn how to play the 2 player game really well, and then if you want to go with some 4 or 6 player variants have at it. I think people will get discouraged if they're knocked out by a 2 or 3 sided attack before they can respond. Plus downtime should drop once people are familiar with the rules and the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Esser
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming from years of experience in Warhammer 40k, I can vouch for the "too much downtime" theory of why SW would not be a great 6 player game. Not only do you get bored in that situation if you aren't being directly interacted with in everyone's turn, the gameplay of SW doesn't lend itself as well to having multiple "armies" swooping around one another to maneuver on the battlefield. Even with 4 players it gets a bit boggy.

I have 2 mats & we generally play each game in roughly the same amount of time, so with 6 players, we just play some other filler game on the side for anyone not playing SW at the moment. My group & I have tossed the idea of a custom multiplayer mat to balance things out, but still prefer to just play multiple 1v1 matchups.

If you find a smooth & entertaining way to make #v# or 6player all out battles fun & efficient, by all means share...I'd like to give it a try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
andy.rice@att.net wrote:

Thanks for the offer, but I'll probably take Dave's advice and purchase the two sets that come with boards (as they will also come with new summoner decks).

Thanks again all

Just to be clear, they are mats, not boards. I'd hate to have you buy them expecting boards. blush

Both are totally worth buying just for the sets alone, however, so definitely get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.