Pedro Rama da Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
I still am waiting for the game to arrive in my mail, but i've been checkingvids out and the forums, and everyone is thinking the game is a bit on the easy side,specially for no consequences to failing a scenario.

Well i don't like permadeath, so he are my ideas (i've checked the forums and i haven't seen these anywhere, but i'm sorry if they show up also somewhere else):
- failing a scenario, running out the clock, means you lose all the loot you acquired on that scenario, this means a lot if you got some sweet stuff and have to rely on luck to get it again, since you have to remake randomly the scenario decks.

- getting killed, means you lose the loot of the scenario, and also one random non basic card and lose one feat previously gained. This means you have to go back to the last scenario and complete it to regain that skill.

If playing with more than one character this second part applies only to thecharacter that died. If the others completed the scenario they still get everything.

Things may get tricky when yo earn loot and trade it with other characters before you die. But that long no longer belongs to you, so the survivors getto keep it.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purists will condemn you, but I too don't like losing totally and starting again from scratch.

There are, apparently, resurrection spells/potions coming. So maybe you have one of these, but are then in debt to whatever the amount is... probably that you have to adventure next time and gain nothing, that's payment for being brought back to life.

But if you get killed again... then maybe the Gods are trying to tell you or your character something.

I remember a friend having an eighth level cleric killed off in Dungeons and Dragons with no chance of resurrection (fell into a vat of dragon's fire) missing school for a week and having to have counselling. During this period his pet tortoise died, and he was more upset about his D&D character.

But I digress...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, some folks take games waaaaaay to seriously. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Reigns
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chou4555 wrote:

I remember a friend having an eighth level cleric killed off in Dungeons and Dragons with no chance of resurrection (fell into a vat of dragon's fire) missing school for a week and having to have counselling. During this period his pet tortoise died, and he was more upset about his D&D character.
When we have characters die and the players don't want to play something else, their character's twin brother with the same stats happens to find our party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy-

That's a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keegan
United States
Whitman
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avaniar wrote:
I still am waiting for the game to arrive in my mail, but i've been checkingvids out and the forums, and everyone is thinking the game is a bit on the easy side,specially for no consequences to failing a scenario.
I suggest playing the game before you start to make houserules. All the reading and watching of gameplay doesn't make up for actually playing the game yourself and seeing what you like or don't like and go from there.
I also find it amusing you seem to want to make changes because the game is so easy, but also want to eliminate the most dangerous part of the game! But each their own
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Rama da Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
chainsawash wrote:
Avaniar wrote:
I suggest playing the game before you start to make houserules. All the reading and watching of gameplay doesn't make up for actually playing the game yourself and seeing what you like or don't like and go from there.
I also find it amusing you seem to want to make changes because the game is so easy, but also want to eliminate the most dangerous part of the game! But each their own

thanks for the suggestions... however I don't need to play it to find that some rules, like that, need to be tweaked for me. Just by watching people play it gives me that idea.

And regarding the "most dangerous part"... how can it be "dangerous" if you can just run the deck out and start again, without any serious penalty?

The actual rules give you a mild permadeath, where you can just "run away", especially since the explore is optional, and damage only forces you to discard from your hand. Where is the danger there?

Realistically my options are more dangerous...

But, like you said, to each his own...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Avaniar wrote:
chainsawash wrote:
Avaniar wrote:

thanks for the suggestions... however I don't need to play it to find that some rules, like that, need to be tweaked for me. Just by watching people play it gives me that idea.

And regarding the "most dangerous part"... how can it be "dangerous" if you can just run the deck out and start again, without any serious penalty?

The actual rules give you a mild permadeath, where you can just "run away", especially since the explore is optional, and damage only forces you to discard from your hand. Where is the danger there?

Realistically my options are more dangerous...

But, like you said, to each his own...
Depends on whether you take risks or not. Plus, there are some cards that can cause monsters to be summoned to everyone or damage everyone. You are not totally safe even if you don't explore, because your team mates could trigger something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Autism AcceptanceMicrobadge: Depression and Mental Health AwarenessMicrobadge: Cypher System fanMicrobadge: TransgenderMicrobadge: I play games with pride
Easiest way to discourage fleeing is to lose either 1 or 1/open location random cards from your deck each time (depending on how difficult you want it).

Removing death from the game or restoring back to the "save point" kind of breaks the feel of the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls