Outrider» Forums » Rules

Subject: Player turns vs vehicle turns. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
tim popelier
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
As the rules are written it appears most rules assume each player has only one vehicle but by the looks of most scenario’s and play reports most people play with two or more cars.
Some of the loss of control effects mention a players turn ends there, which would suggest he can’t use any other vehicles that “turn”
It gets even more interesting when using damage cards and not so passive aggressive. As some of those cards last until the end of a players turn or need to be checked for at the end of each players turn. Should this happen at the end of each vehicles activation or when a actual player activates his last car? Or just when all vehicles have been activated? In a larger game where say 3 players each have 3 cars this makes a whole lot of difference if the fastest car drops smoke for instance depending on the option used this could last until all 9 cars have been activated or might go away when a car at the other end of the table has acted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an intersting concept.

I may need to go back and clarify, sense there are many scenarios that have a team of multiple vehicles.

The rule as Intended in these situations will apply to ACTIVE VEHICLE. So if a vehicle looses control and skids to a stop, the turn ends for THAT VEHICLE. if a single player controls other vehicles. they may still perform their action(s) for that turn.

Does that help?

-G, DFG

Sordorel wrote:
As the rules are written it appears most rules assume each player has only one vehicle but by the looks of most scenario’s and play reports most people play with two or more cars.
Some of the loss of control effects mention a players turn ends there, which would suggest he can’t use any other vehicles that “turn”
It gets even more interesting when using damage cards and not so passive aggressive. As some of those cards last until the end of a players turn or need to be checked for at the end of each players turn. Should this happen at the end of each vehicles activation or when a actual player activates his last car? Or just when all vehicles have been activated? In a larger game where say 3 players each have 3 cars this makes a whole lot of difference if the fastest car drops smoke for instance depending on the option used this could last until all 9 cars have been activated or might go away when a car at the other end of the table has acted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Going back and rereading rulebook and Expansion rules, becuase I don't want to create a paradox.

Because you are correct to assume that some effects (like smoke) do in fact last until ALL players have gone. You don't check for smoke dissipation until the end phase.

Perhaps I should refer to the individual vehicle 'turns' as 'phases/etc.' because rolling initiative signifies the start of a new 'Turn', so everything (including all the individual vehicle 'turns' happen within a single game 'turn'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim popelier
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Aha, ok that means everything works the way I thought it should work.
Terminology suggestions for Vehicles turns; Shift, drive, rev (as in revolution of a engine) All three fit thematically funnily enough. Bout and go could also work.
I would suggest keeping it a two word thing, "player turn" and "car/vehicle shift" should prevent players from mixing the two similar terms up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'm a simple guy. How about 'During a player turn he can activate all his vehicles' and 'When X happens to the active vehicle, that vehicle's activation is ended'.

Making up terms tends to just confuse folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Lewis
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll work on it, because as of now, each turn consists of:

1. Initiative Phase
2. Action phase, where each vehicle move and attacks, in intiative order, regardless of who the players are.
3. end phase, where bookeeping is done.

I guess the fault is made by having the rules written, assuming that each vehicle is a separate player, especially when I know that is frequently not the case.

-G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls