Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Microbadge: Audiobooks fanMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: Maine
I had the privilege of going to two Plugged-In Tour events over the past weekend. It was a blast. Every single person that I played against was extremely nice and I cannot stress enough how competent every single one of my opponents was. It seemed like every single match I played was like I was playing against someone who would easily top 8.

I ended up coming in first place at the 1st Plugged-In Tour event held in Manchester, NH with a 7-1 record. I played Gabriel and NBN:TWIY*. I posted my decklists below. For those of you who don't know I make a podcast called the Netrunomicon with my buddy Jeremy. He came in second at the Manchester event. I'm sure he will post his decklists here too. We recorded two episodes for our podcast while driving back and forth to the events so make sure to check them out. We even got an amazing interview with Damon Stone! I'll try to get those episodes up as soon as possible.

At the Cambridge, MA event yesterday I came in 4th out of 40 with a 7-3 record and Jeremy came in 9th due to strength of schedule. I decided to play a different runner deck for this event to change things up and I kept my Corp deck the same. I wanted to try out Andromeda because I didn't have much experience running her specifically and I wanted to be able to talk about her on the podcast after testing her in a real competitive environment. Most of my experience is with Gabe so I am not unfamiliar with Criminal. I am not going to post the Andromeda decklist because it is nothing special.

I was amazed at all of the high level play for both days. I really love the level of competition that I experienced. It gave me an even deeper appreciation for the game.

Here is my Gabe deck that went undefeated for the day.

Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (45 cards)
Event (25)
3 Account Siphon
2 Dirty Laundry
3 Emergency Shutdown
3 Forged Activation Orders
3 Indexing ••••• ••••
3 Inside Job
3 Quality Time •••
2 Special Order
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (5)
2 Desperado
3 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (6)
3 Armitage Codebusting
3 Same Old Thing

Icebreaker (6)
1 Corroder ••
3 Crypsis
1 Femme Fatale
1 Yog.0

Program (3)
3 Sneakdoor Beta

This is my interpretation of Good Stuff Gabe. I am a big fan of this deck. I have had an amazing amount of success with it. The general premise is to just run and run and run and never let up on the Corp, keeping them poor in the process. I try to extend the early game as long as possible. It still even amazes me how well this deck works.

Sneakdoor Beta is the all-star card in this deck. I have won games with it alone. I try to focus my early attention against HQ and Archives until I am ready for the Indexing kill shot. I think a lot of people would disagree with inclusion of Indexing especially with how prevalent Jackson Howard has become in almost every Corp deck but in all actuality Indexing shines and can single-handily win a game for me. I originally only had 2 copies of Indexing while play testing but decided at the last minute to drop Gordian Blade for my 3rd copy.

This deck is not without its problems. The longer the game goes on, the harder it is to win. I actually discovered that HB: Next Design is the bane of this deck during play testing, especially if they get 3x ICE at the beginning of the game followed up by a Hedge Fund which skips the early game before I even have a chance to do anything. Luckily I never came across a Next Corp.

-----------------------------------------

This is the Corp deck I ran. I cannot take credit for it. The deck originator is Hollis who posted it here and I only made a few minor tweaks. I went 3-1 and 3-2 with this deck over the two days.

NBN: The World Is Yours* (44 cards)

Agenda (10)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
3 Breaking News
1 Priority Requisition
3 Project Beale

Asset (9)
3 Jackson Howard
3 Marked Accounts
2 Melange Mining Corp
1 PAD Campaign

Upgrade (3)
3 SanSan City Grid

Operation (5)
2 Closed Accounts
3 Hedge Fund

Barrier (6)
2 Bastion
3 Ice Wall •••
1 Wall of Static

Code Gate (4)
2 Pop-up Window
2 Tollbooth

Sentry (7)
1 Archer ••
1 Flare
2 Neural Katana ••••
3 Shadow •••

I really like this deck for a number of reason but the main reason why I love it so much is that it has a bunch of my favorite cards including MMC, SanSan, Neural Katana, Ice Wall, Shadow, Archer, Closed Accounts... I was considering running a Jinteki deck that I had been working on but I didn't have much success with it during play testing and I wasn't very comfortable with Jinteki enough to want to play it yet. I actually decided at the very last minute to switch to this deck and I was very happy I did.

The all-star card in this deck is Astroscript Pilot Program. I will cast my vote for it being the most powerful agenda in the game. The ability to chain these suckers together is incredible and borderline broken. All of my loses for this deck came from not being able to score my first APP. I think if I had been able to score one the tempo of the game would have been dramatically different. Once you have your first one scored you only theoretically need 2 credits to score another. There in lies the rub, if you can't score a APP you are going to have a rough time. SanSan is the back up plan but it can be expensive especially after you have been hit in face with an Account Siphon or two.

Breaking News as another all-star in this deck. Resource economy is everywhere nowadays and this agenda let me kill key economy cards that the Runners were depending on like Professional Contacts which I saw a ton of.

Whizzard is a big problem for this deck. I lost pretty handily to a Whizzard player using Data Leak Reversal, Vamp, and a number of other cards that just crushed me. Whizzard killed my economy and then stomped me hard.

All in all it was a great experience. I am zonked. Make sure to check out the podcast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats and thanks for the writeup. It was nice meeting you in person.

And yes, we do have a strong Meta here in this area. If I do say so myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Yeah, I was surprised to see 3xIndexing in that decklist, but when it works, Indexing is awesome.

How many times did you get to use the Closed Accounts. I'm considering removing this card from my NBN build. Not because it isn't powerful, but it seems the people I play are either:

a) Avoiding tags like the plague, which is GOOD for my NBN deck, since it costs them lots of tempo and credits. Against these players I very very rarely get to play Closed Accounts. Doesn't matter, because I'm likely winning anyway.

b) Floating tags. Usually criminals with an Account Siphon centered strategy. Sure it is nice to get to give them a little payback, but that doesn't change the fact that your still dirt poor yourself and that those criminal decks tends to credit up very fast anyway. And I'm probably losing anyway.

Well, I don't know. I'm considering removing it for more econ, some Cyberdex trials or some upgrades (Bernice Mai, Red Herrings).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Microbadge: Audiobooks fanMicrobadge: Happily marriedMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: Maine
mostman79 wrote:
Congrats and thanks for the writeup. It was nice meeting you in person.
Likewise! I wish we could have had a chance to talk more.

mostman79 wrote:
And yes, we do have a strong Meta here in this area. If I do say so myself
That is an understatement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
badge
BlueSwan wrote:
Congratulations!

Yeah, I was surprised to see 3xIndexing in that decklist, but when it works, Indexing is awesome.
I think the element of surprise has a lot going for it in this deck.

BlueSwan wrote:
How many times did you get to use the Closed Accounts. I'm considering removing this card from my NBN build. Not because it isn't powerful, but it seems the people I play are either:

a) Avoiding tags like the plague, which is GOOD for my NBN deck, since it costs them lots of tempo and credits. Against these players I very very rarely get to play Closed Accounts. Doesn't matter, because I'm likely winning anyway.

b) Floating tags. Usually criminals with an Account Siphon centered strategy. Sure it is nice to get to give them a little payback, but that doesn't change the fact that your still dirt poor yourself and that those criminal decks tends to credit up very fast anyway. And I'm probably losing anyway.

Well, I don't know. I'm considering removing it for more econ, some Cyberdex trials or some upgrades (Bernice Mai, Red Herrings).
Closed Accounts won me the final game in the NH tournament. I was able to stop an Andromeda deck that just Account Siphoned me bringing us both to zero credits. With that said, I didn't play it as often as I would have liked. Cyberdex might be a better meta card right now with the prevalence of Datasuckers but once the AI hate ICE starts to come out I think I will switch back to Closed Accounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ostman
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely sold on Cyberdex yet. I had them in my deck for this event and went up against 3 Atman/Sucker decks. I think I played Cyberdex once. I usually find myself in a situation where even IF I clear the tokens, I'm still in a race condition, trying to quickly get agendas out to score. So time is key, and in most situations, I found better things to do with my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
badge
mostman79 wrote:
I'm not entirely sold on Cyberdex yet. I had them in my deck for this event and went up against 3 Atman/Sucker decks. I think I played Cyberdex once. I usually find myself in a situation where even IF I clear the tokens, I'm still in a race condition, trying to quickly get agendas out to score. So time is key, and in most situations, I found better things to do with my time.
I think it depends on the deck it is being included in. In this NBN2 deck it actually makes a lot of sense because it would allow a turn to score a key agenda. There were a number of games where I had wish I could have done a virus clear and a follow up install action in the same turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done with the indexing. I literally just build a Gabe deck with indexing also thinking it would be a huge surprise card. Grats on your success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
badge
beepers wrote:
I lost 15 creds to your Closed Accounts as Whizzard- the only Closed Accounts I encountered in Mass, luckily. I'm just glad no one was packing Freelancer.
And yet you still ended up smashing me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Phil,
My daughter Rachel and I truly enjoyed meeting you and Jeremy and I could not agree more with your comments on what a great group of people it was to play against. I wish I had the opporunity to run against you both, but hope to catch up with you sometime at Crossroad Games. I am enjoying your podcast as well and looking forward to a new episode soon.

In Guildford Maine, David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Day
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm interested in hearing what the Whizzard deck list was?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
badge
Bodasafa wrote:
Phil,
My daughter Rachel and I truly enjoyed meeting you and Jeremy and I could not agree more with your comments on what a great group of people it was to play against. I wish I had the opporunity to run against you both, but hope to catch up with you sometime at Crossroad Games. I am enjoying your podcast as well and looking forward to a new episode soon.

In Guildford Maine, David
David! It was most excellent to meet you and your daughter! The next time I am in the Bangor area maybe we can meet up for some Netrunner?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip von Doomula
United States
Hermon
ME
flag msg tools
badge
beepers wrote:
I think I'll post a thread tomorrow so that open-minded people can give some cards a second look, especially Data Leak Reversal in combination with Vamp and Joshua B.
I'm excited to see the official list after seeing the deck play out first hand!

beepers wrote:
Also, what are your post-tourney impressions of Jackson Howard? I played him a bit in my deck in lieu of Anonymous Tip, but he just seemed ineffectual or a waste of tempo a lot of the time, so I replaced him pretty quickly. It might just have been my deck (there's nothing in particular I need to recur with the shuffle in effect).
I definitely agree that he is not for every deck. JH worked very well in my deck. He allowed me to draw into my agendas when I desperately needed them and let me hide my only one 5 for 3 when I drew into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reposted here in its own thread

Sorry it has taken me a so long to get my 2nd place decklists out. Major props go to my friend Rob (aka tehflash) for his Yogosaurus/Atman/Datasucker breaker suite build for Kit. You can read my thoughts on these decks and any tips or tricks that I’ve discovered after each list.

Identity:
Rielle "Kit" Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Total Cards: (46)

Event: (12)
Escher (Creation and Control) x2
Infiltration (Core) x2
Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow) x1
Scavenge (Creation and Control) x1
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Tinkering (Core) x3

Hardware: (11)
Clone Chip (Creation and Control) x3
Dinosaurus (Cyber Exodus) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x2
R&D Interface (Future Proof) x3

Program: (13)
Atman (Creation and Control) x1
Datasucker (Core) x3 ■
Deus X (A Study in Static) x1
Parasite (Core) x2 ■■
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control) x3
Yog.0 (Core) x3 ■

Resource: (10)
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow) x3
Personal Workshop (Cyber Exodus) x3
Professional Contacts (Creation and Control) x2
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x2

When Creation & Control first came out, I was most drawn toward Exile and the heap recursion shenanigans. The above deck emerged out of my interest in taking this recursion and tutoring with Self-modifying Code and making it stronger. Rob had an early version built that other than the aforementioned suite, looked a lot like my Exile deck, which I loved but didn't have enough power. This Kit deck also fits well with my tendency as a runner, which is not overly aggressive. This deck favors a single run each turn for the early and mid game. If the game lasts into the late game when the rig is in full swing, things very often go badly for the Corp with more devastating runs.

Here are some tricks that I capitalize on with this deck:
• When I have access to bad publicity funds and my Datasuckers are in play, I will make runs on un(der)protected servers just so that I can spend money from the bad publicity to pay off programs and hardware on my personal workshop while also adding counters to my Datasuckers.
• Credit goes to Rob for point this one out to me: Once I have a couple Datasuckers with a healthy dose of virus counters, a Clone Chip, and Self-modifying Code, I will run on R&D trash Self-modifying Code to install a parasite, which will trash a piece of ICE and then use Clone Chip to get that same parasite back and do it again on another piece of ICE. Generally, this works and is so unexpected that it can be quite devastating for the Corp.
• Having the ability to tutor for Deus X to deal with Snares or bioroid ICE is great and will wipe the smile right off that Corp scum.
• Something I don’t see folks paying attention to when they get hit with a Scorched Earth is only using some of the counters on Plascrete Carapace instead of treating it like a one-time use. You should be able to get at least two uses out of a single copy, which makes it much harder for the Corp to kill you with Scorched Earth.

My biggest issue with this deck is that it can take a bit of time to set up, particularly if my only economy from the outset is Professional Contacts, which is best to put into play after a few turns or mid game. I like to have a solid economy card and either Yog or Dinosaurus in my opening hand. It’s certainly not a slow deck per se, but there are fast Corp decks that can gain speed faster than this Kit build and I have lost games as a result.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Identity:
Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (13)
False Lead (A Study in Static) x2
Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves) x2
Gila Hands Arcology (Creation and Control) x1
Hostile Takeover (Core) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x2
Project Atlas (What Lies Ahead) x3

Asset: (10)
Cerebral Overwriter (Creation and Control) x1 ■■
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) x3 ■
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x3
Snare! (Core) x3 ■■

ICE: (16)
Archer (Core) x2
Bastion (Creation and Control) x3
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) x2
Enigma (Core) x3
Ice Wall (Core) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x1
Shadow (Core) x2

Operation: (10)
Beanstalk Royalties (Core) x3
Hedge Fund (Core) x2
Scorched Earth (Core) x3
SEA Source (Core) x2 ■■

I think of this Weyland deck as pretty standard Weyland at this point; it is an evolutionary product of my first Weyland deck from the core set. I think I do so well with this deck partly because I have just played it so much. If you have listened to me talk on the Netrunomicon podcast, then you probably already know that I LOVE Snare – she (that’s right, feminine) is one of my favorites. I realize at this point that including Snare in Weyland decks is very common, but at one point this wasn’t the case and this deck capitalized on that to the fullest. Now that we have access to Jackson Howard, the ease of capitalizing on Snare has increased by a magnitude. Jackson Howard and Snare are beautiful together – it’s not uncommon now to see Snare four times in a game.

Here are some tricks to how I play as the Corp with this deck:
• If the Runner tries to use Indexing, I use Jackson Howard or even a counter from Project Atlas to mess things up.
• I really like using Jackson Howard mid to late game (if it goes to the late game) to bring back my Snares to R&D because, at this point, my deck is quite a bit thinner and the density with 3 Snares should stop Runners from screwing with my knowledge.
• As noted above, I almost always see Runners use Plascrete Carapaces as one-shot deals, so I will sometimes (depending on the game state) use a Scorched Earth just to encourage them to wipe it out. In the end, I have ways of ultimately getting my Scorched Earths back and it often only takes two at most to kill anyhow, so I have one to spare. My impression has been that once their precious Plascrete Carapace is gone, they will spend clicks going to look for another, which buys me time to do what I need.
• If it looks like I can’t get the Runner with Scorched Earths, then I will use Cerebral Overwriter to scare them from running on everything that I advance. Sometimes I will use my Project Atlas counter to get a Cerebral Overwriter (or even Snare if they keep running my HQ) just to give them pause – you know, scare ‘em a bit.

This deck has only one a few times by scoring agenda points because it often just invites the Runner’s death by meat damage for the win. I did not lose a single match with this build in Manchester.

So, here they are. I hope my notes are useful – I welcome feedback, but I have also already taken these decks apart. I've already moved on to other, more interesting, ideas to test out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls