Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Jones
United Kingdom
Chandlers Ford
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is everyone scoring in this game? We've played a couple of times now and scores are still in the mid-40s with perhaps the leader getting over 50 or so. Do more experienced players score significantly higher?

For 4 players there are 7 rounds so 28 cards played. Hopefully your 5 money would buy you 2 reputation steps , possibly more and if you got a couple of threats each round and used two cards to remove them then there's another 14 points. 5 initial workers makes 5 houses so another 5 points. So only 9 cards left - use 3 to get workers to enable you to build houses with the other 6. That's 2+14+5+6 = 27 points as a minimum (assuming reasonable card colour draws etc).

40 or so points doesn't seem a very good score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olav Fakkeldij
Netherlands
Beverwijk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
40 is a bit low. Winner (and most other players. Often scores are very close) has mostly between 50-60. The highest score I've seen is 72.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why you say there 7 rounds. There are no definite number of rounds in Bruges. Stacks of cards are approximate and you can dig through a stack faster than the other, effectively limitng the number of rounds to be played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2015 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: 2016 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: 2017 10x10 game challenge hardcore award - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: I completed the 2018 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!Microbadge: I completed the 2019 hardcore challenge to play 10 games 10 times each - I came, I saw, I conquered my original list!
We've played a half dozen times, all but one as 2p. Our scores range from 38-74, with the winning scores ranging from 41-74. I'd say our average score is a bit higher than you described.

It sounds like you might be missing something in there, either with gaining money, not leveraging character cards, adding in majority, canal, or statue bonuses? Not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jones
United Kingdom
Chandlers Ford
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was assuming that for 4 players you would use just under 4/5 of the 165 cards which is 132 cards - 7 rounds = 20(initial cards) + 6 rounds of 16 = 116 cards plus a few extra as character action bonuses which seems about right. It might run to 8 rounds if both decks are drawn from equally or could be as few as 4 rounds if everyone drew from just one deck. I assumed if there was a leader trying to end the game quickly by only drawing from one deck the others would stop him by equalising the decks so a 4 round game would be pretty unlikely (unless everyone hated the game and wanted it over asap). So it seems that for 4 players 6-8 rounds is about right with 7 being the most likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this 4 times now, and the winning score tends to be low 50s.

The game will last 6-8 rounds (8 rounds is possible if players re-draw already played cards due to destroyed buildings or other effects). That means around 30 Actions.

If all you do is collect money, build your 10 canals, and pay for the Reputation track each round, you can get to 40 points. This requires about 20 actions to collect the required money and build the 10 canal segments. Assuming you spend your other 10 actions to discard Threats and play 5 buildings (using your starting workers), that's another 10 points. And assuming you can get the Reputation or Canal majority, that's 4 more points.

So without playing any characters at all, it should be possible to reach 50 points as long as nothing crazy happens with the dice. It would be an interesting experiment to play a 4-player game where nobody ever plays a character card.

The only way to break that 50 point barrier is to get a good character engine, which allows you to do something like:
1. Score points every Round via an Artist or some other effect
2. Score lots of end-game points (e.g. 4 Church members for 8 points)
3. Build Canals/Reputation quickly/cheaper than normal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've only played once (4 players) and the winning score was just under 50 points. My opponents suggested that this game had lower than average scores. Nobody at the table was an expert - a few choices were made that were immediately recognized as mistakes, ensuring that higher scores should have been reached in our game. Drawing from one deck mid-turn also brought an intentional end to the game one turn earlier than most were expecting.

My feeling is that winning scores should be comfortably over 50 in almost all cases and that garnering 100 points would require some special circumstances... but that's nothing more than a hunch at this point. Would love to hear from people who have more experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Nealley

Ardmore
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Tammany Hall fanMicrobadge: Ingenious fanMicrobadge: Nexus Ops fanMicrobadge: nestorgames fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Rebellion fan
In the few plays I have (about 5) I haven't seen anything higher than mid-70's, and winner is often between 50-60.

It depends on threat management in part- if someone pushes a lot of threats in a game (one or more colors), then trying to mitigate threat tends to cost actions which would otherwise raise scoring.

If no one takes the offensive, then players are more free to work their point scoring engines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Parent of Three BoysMicrobadge: Parent of Three GirlsMicrobadge: C# programmerMicrobadge: Fred Astaire fanMicrobadge: My favourite Bond is Roger Moore
NewUser wrote:
Drawing from one deck mid-turn also brought an intentional end to the game one turn earlier than most were expecting.
If I'm understanding this quote, then I think that you may have ended the game a round too early. The rules state that if one of the decks is exhausted mid-round (as a result, for example, of a character special action), you should bring the extra deck into play, but you should still play an additional round. See rules on page four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It can vary depending on how much money is available during the game, how much threat is distributed, and how many Underworld persons are recruited. Majorities are more difficult to attain with more players, so that will also have an impact.

Generally, you'll need a score in the 50s to win. My high score has been 68.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
Microbadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking
We've played four games so far, all 2-player:

me 39
wife 40

me 49
wife 52

me 55
wife 42

me 54.2
wife 54.1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Forrest
Australia
Embleton
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the '100 point' tokens point to a planned expansion that will increase scores then, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
i've only played four 4 player games

but the winning scores for all were definitely above 50

highest was 58

lowest was 52

the other two games were 53 or 54
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
Edward J Grug III wrote:
Hopefully the '100 point' tokens point to a planned expansion that will increase scores then, eh?
The 100 point token is a bit like the 180mph max on a car speedo.

If you're using it, you're probably doing something wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
saccenti wrote:
NewUser wrote:
Drawing from one deck mid-turn also brought an intentional end to the game one turn earlier than most were expecting.
If I'm understanding this quote, then I think that you may have ended the game a round too early. The rules state that if one of the decks is exhausted mid-round (as a result, for example, of a character special action), you should bring the extra deck into play, but you should still play an additional round. See rules on page four.
Yes, thank you for the correction. We played this wrong.

Not sure if it affected who won, but might have. A couple of players were counting on one extra turn to score some points. In this case our winner would've been comfortably in the 50-55 point range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Miner
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played 4 last night winner had 67.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three 2-player games with my wife. We both have the mechanics down, but both also feel we do not have the tactics down. Scores:

52-47
58-52
43-27 (winner ended game early by drawing consistently from one deck)

Winner mean = 51
Loser mean = 42
Combined mean = 46.5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Breen
United States
Monroe
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Losing Builds Character
mbmbmbmbmb

A 3 player game - winning score was ~74 (I don't remember exactly, but it was +/- 1 of 74). This may be the highest score I have had. I had the Queen out from the beginning and had the King and many nobles. I ignored building canals almost entirely, and only had majority points for the most people. I had 7 points from influence if I recall correctly.

2nd place finish was in the low 60's and third place was high 40's I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The highest score I've seen is 96, and that was already using the tweaked Engraver card (9 gold, each class is 1 point instead of 2), but more commonly the scores range from the high 40's to the 60's in other games.

There was nothing wrong when my buddy got the 96. He had a great point making engine in-game, had hired 10 personalities which totalled 30 points, had flipped all his bonuses, got 9 points are the reputation track, and had excellent bonus cards..all in all the most perfect game I've seen so far..This was a 3P game and I was next with 62, and the last place was 59. So yeah that was a high scoring game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone see a score in the 150s?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winning scores in our two player games so far have been in the low 50s.

Using the original version of the Engraver, however, could lead to inflated scores of 60+. See for example this thread: Engraver overpowered?. In relation to the weakening of this card in the second printing of Bruges, Jean-François Gagné from Z-Man Games posted the following:

DjihEf wrote:
2- The Engraver. Original: costs 12 and 2 VP per group. New version: costs 9 and 1 VP per group.

There are currently no plans to produce replacements for that particular card as it is only an adjustment and the old version is fine (albeit a little powerful). In a way, you could see it as a variant.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause. As a big Bruges player myself, I'll stick to the old version for now as I'm still attempting to break the 100-point barrier.
Poor play from your opponents could also be a factor in achieving higher scores, e.g. if they easily let you get the majority markers that award 4 points each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Have played 6 games so far (mix of 2, 3, and 4 player games). Won 5 of 6 with the following scores:

71, 61, 53, 50, 50, 45

The games with more "take that" interaction resulted in lower scores. Also scored slightly lower with more players, perhaps because it is more difficult to flip the majority tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls