Subject: Looking for a game that is comparable to the castles of burgundy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: HorrifiedMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper Geeklister
Castles of Burgundy has this ease of play. Its relaxing, but it is absorbing, and you feel good about yourself when you accomplish little combos within the game. Glen More would be a good example of what I'm look for. Can you think of others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Underwater Cities fanMicrobadge: Mystery Science Theater 3000 fanMicrobadge: "I hate it when Aztecs force themselves into your hotel room and make you try on belts."Microbadge: "If you lived here you'd be depressed by now."Microbadge: "Wow, this movie's really drawing me in… to a deep well of despair."
Bora Bora seems the same fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Microbadge: I like learning games more than winning them!Microbadge: TraderMicrobadge: Type O Negative fanMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many Unplayed GamesMicrobadge: 2-player Games fan
Kingsburg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
Microbadge: LGBTQ allyMicrobadge: GameChat League - Phoenix Division: "Like a phoenix rising from the ashes..."Microbadge: I'm femaleMicrobadge: 2019 Women & Gaming Holiday Card Exchange ParticipantMicrobadge: 2019 Christmas Card Exchange participant
Walnut Grove

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I play with green!Microbadge: Heroscape fanMicrobadge: Water Polo fanMicrobadge: Oingo Boingo fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fan

Alhambra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Putrino
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Battlegrounds Gaming Fan (Norwalk, CT)Microbadge: FishingMicrobadge: New England Patriots fanMicrobadge: Tent CamperMicrobadge: Microbrewery beer lover
Comparable to Castles of Burgundy... Can't believe nobody hAs said Alien Frontiers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Modern Art fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fan
indigopotter wrote:
+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
Thebes and Macao.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: HorrifiedMicrobadge: Geek RegularMicrobadge: Level 08 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper Geeklister
Macao is a little too brain-burning and ruthless. You can't make mistakes. I like how forgiving Castles of Burgundy is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I design games for educationMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: RainbowMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game designMicrobadge: Video Game Developer
Garden Dice is a nice dice/action based strategy game. It's a bit more directly interactive than CoB since players are building on the same board, and a bit less complex since there are far less types of tiles and buying tiles is very much simplified. Anyway, it's an excellent quick game, especially 2-player, that scratches similar itches to CoB or Alien Frontiers (dice rolling, dice manipulation, building, even a little bit of engine/combo building) in a very short timespan. You may enjoy it.

(One note: I don't particularly enjoy the animal tiles in the game and feel the game is plenty interactive without them. Your mileage may vary on that.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I never go anywhere without a Lonely Planet travel guide!Microbadge: RationalistMicrobadge: National Public Radio listenerMicrobadge: Square dancerMicrobadge: I drive an RV
Saint Petersburg
San Juan
Finca (I see that you own this one, but you haven't rated it, so maybe you haven't played it yet)
Pastiche (Hmmm. You rated this one 8, yet you no longer own it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
Saint Pete looks interesting. Finca Ive played once, but it seems a little too light.

Some of the other games that seem to give somewhat of the feel I'm looking for:
Le Havre
Dominion
Carc
Arena Rome
Glen More
Puerto Rico

So far Castles of Burgundy seems the best though: A forgiving but absorbing game, rich in gameplay and options. Some complexity but still has elegance.

I have another Feld game, Trajan, but it feels way too convoluted to me. Everything in the game scores points. If you pick your nose you score a point. The game I'm looking for needs less fiddlyness and less overwrought-ness.

It does feel like I'm missing a certain game though. I need your help to figure out what it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I design games for educationMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: RainbowMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game designMicrobadge: Video Game Developer
*psst* you should really really really look at Garden Dice because despite the perhaps unattractive name and theme (which would imply something very light like Martian Dice or King of Tokyo?) the game actually has quite a lot of what you asked for; there are satisfying combos, strategic tile laying, and the game has a pleasant "build up and tear down" feel to it that is kind of remarkable. I have no doubt that the game being released alongside a flood of very very light "____ Dice" games has resulted in its lack of buzz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
AnEvenWeirderMove wrote:
*psst* you should really really really look at Garden Dice because despite the perhaps unattractive name and theme (which would imply something very light like Martian Dice or King of Tokyo?) the game actually has quite a lot of what you asked for; there are satisfying combos, strategic tile laying, and the game has a pleasant "build up and tear down" feel to it that is kind of remarkable. I have no doubt that the game being released alongside a flood of very very light "____ Dice" games has resulted in its lack of buzz...
So wait..what are you trying to say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge

I have no affiliation with the designer or publisher! I just really like the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Microbadge: Keyflower fanMicrobadge: 2010 Secret Santa participantMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 2018 Secret Santa participant
I never bought Cob Because I had Key Harvest which I really love. I don't actually know how similar they are but they are similar in weight, and KH is pretty laid back too, and they both have little hexes.

Though I did buy it when it was on sale . . . blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Minimalist fanMicrobadge: LudologistMicrobadge: Silver ReviewerMicrobadge: Gaming Missionary - I try to convert everybody I know to gaming!Microbadge: Geek Regular
+1 Garden Dice
+1 Glen More
+1 Finca

Also, try:

Yspahan
Takenoko
Tokaido
Fresco
Rattus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pullen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Seattle Mariners fanMicrobadge: Seattle Seahawks fanMicrobadge: Vegemite loverMicrobadge: Proud member of the 12th Man | Go HAWKS!Microbadge: Castles of Burgundy fan
Troyes uses dice for actions. It instantly felt like CoB to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yspahan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Besides Macao and Glen More, you might want to look at Bruges too. And yes, Tokaido, although it doesn't have the complexity of either of these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Ski Utah! - The Greatest Snow on EarthMicrobadge: Tinners' Trail fanMicrobadge: SaltCon attendeeMicrobadge: Come late, stay really late.Microbadge: Raising Gamers
Troyes is usually the game I recommend for someone who loves CoB. I describe it as CoB on steroids. It's a dice manipulation game that is a step above in complexity.

But...considering you're looking for something with "ease of play" and "relaxing", I don't think it's Troyes you're looking for.

So I'll forget about the mechanics in CoB, and just go with games that are more aligned with your other requests:

Finca (+1) - This game defines relaxing in a game. Top recommendation. The bonus-action tiles give you the satisfying moments of great combo play you requested.

Takenoko - Nice, relaxing, and pretty. Where I personally think it lacks is in the strategy department. I don't particularly "feel good about myself" after any of my turns.

The Manhattan Project - Maybe not the most relaxing of games, considering you're working with bombs and worrying about an attack from your opponents, but the combos this game creates can be really satisfying.

Suburbia - The combos you build are satisfying. And I find it on the relaxing side of gaming too, because you're just trying your best to build up a little city.

Hansa Teutonica - It has those moments where you feel good about your moves. I'm not sure it's relaxing, but it's definitely absorbing. It plays best with 3+. It's similar to CoB in that you have a common area where everyone is competing for certain things, and you often crowd each others' spaces. But you all have a player board that you're trying to improve.

The Princes of Florence - Again, player board with a puzzle element. And you're competing--this time with auctions and turn order--for things from a central play area. Only plays with 3+.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dan Verssen Games fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Solitaire Games on Your Table - Together, we game alone...Microbadge: Copper Reviewer
Suburbia is an excellent suggestion. It looks like it took a few pages out of Glen More's book (and there's an unmistakable Through the Ages influence in there too, though the game is nowhere near as brutal).

I'll throw in a vote for At the Gates of Loyang. While having very different mechanics, they have similar vibes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
Microbadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Perfect Dark fanMicrobadge: Parent of One BoyMicrobadge: The world is yoursMicrobadge: Ghost fan
Possibly Trajan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Dan Verssen Games fanMicrobadge: Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization fanMicrobadge: Solitaire Games on Your Table - Together, we game alone...Microbadge: Copper Reviewer
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Possibly Trajan
Myoman wrote:
I have another Feld game, Trajan, but it feels way too convoluted to me. Everything in the game scores points. If you pick your nose you score a point. The game I'm looking for needs less fiddlyness and less overwrought-ness.
Actually, I feel the same way about CoB after 2 plays, but we'll see if it grows on me. At the very least, my wife likes it which ensures it'll get more plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls