United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG.CON 2012 was where I first played Artemis, the multiplayer starship bridge simulator. I was floored. It was one of the highlights of the con.

Now that I have much more bridge experience under my belt, I'd love to know if there will be another dedicated Artemis room for BGG.CON 2013! A search on the forums revealed that Jeff was planning for a larger Artemis room that could hold two crews, but that was back in March.

I'd love to try a multi-ship bridge, but truth be told, I'd be happy with the same room as last year, just as long as it's there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Artemis will be running during the entire convention in the Wildcatters room - a larger room and some pretty awesome equipment upgrades (sounds, lights). It can hold 2 crews on opposite sides of the room, but I'm not sure exactly how it's all being laid out by:
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

and
Lincoln Damerst
United States
California
flag msg tools
GameNight!
badge
GameNight!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! That would put us a step above Red Dwarf...

"Switch to red alert!"
"Are you sure, sir? That does mean changing the bulb."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tunison
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Get your finger out of my face!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the chance to try Artemis this past weekend as a local con here in Tucson. It sounded interesting so we gave it a go and I agree that it ended up being a highlight. It certainly helped that we had a group of friends who all knew each other -- the banter between stations is a good amount of the fun. We got a few good laughs out of the Captain and Helm arguing with each other. I certainly recommend jumping in on it with some friends if you get the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, do two crews imply bridge vs. bridge combat is possible? Or cooperative team-up missions? I don't know much about the new version of Artemis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Shipp
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will iOS devices be supported? Do the Artemis veterans recommend them?

Randy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rshipp wrote:

Randy...
Randy, you don't need to provide your own device - the setup last year was full & complete with a big projector screen for the captain to see and computers/laptops for every other station. I presume this year will be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexDespres wrote:
Hey, do two crews imply bridge vs. bridge combat is possible? Or cooperative team-up missions? I don't know much about the new version of Artemis.
As I understand it, either is possible, depending on the scenario you pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Est. 2005
badge
_____BGG.CON_____ BGG@SEA BGG.Spring
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
rshipp wrote:

Randy...
Randy, you don't need to provide your own device - the setup last year was full & complete with a big projector screen for the captain to see and computers/laptops for every other station. I presume this year will be the same.
I know we have enough equipment for one bridge, but I think the second bridge will need to be "bring-your-own-device" - from a client perspective anyway. As I understand it iOS devices will be able to connect to the existing server and network.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I'd point out that iOS/Android doesn't work with the new version of Artemis. If 2.0 is the plan, people will have to bring laptops if they want to play.

If 1.7 is the plan, then iOS and Android are possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nodecam wrote:
I thought I'd point out that iOS/Android doesn't work with the new version of Artemis. If 2.0 is the plan, people will have to bring laptops if they want to play.

What are the differences? Do you happen to know if the iOS will be updated?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
The biggest difference is that 2.0 supports a limited Z-axis, so you can now climb and dive. It's still pretty much a 2D game, kind of like how Doom was a 2D game with some extra funny business that made it seem 3D (damn I'm old).

Here's a review of a development version from earlier this year...

According to Artemis' latest Facebook update, they're working on the mobile version of 2.0 right now, but there's no expected release date just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
2.0 added distinct PVP ship battles, up to 8 bridges (48 players), better AI pathing (so you can't just get the AI ships to fly into asteroids and blow themselves up)

In my opinion, the biggest addition is making the play space 3D (I think it's a discrete number of levels, so not true 3D, but still a big step up over the 1.7 2D)

More complete changelog here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
Nodecam wrote:

At this point, it is my understanding that we will be going with 2.0 for the first bridge due to the improvements in the game and something that I am currently finishing up for the convention to really give it a kick (shhhh... It's a secret).

With 2.0, multi-bridge play is properly incorporated, including a bridge versus bridge (v. b v. b v. b v. b v. b v. b [yes, 8 bridges]) mode that allows for teams or free for all. Additionally, new races, new problems and scenarios to "deal" with, and a "3D" mode with submarine like climb and dive in the Solo campaign (previously known as Invasion mode).

At the time of this post, 2.0 is only compatible with 2.0 and only available for Windows based PCs. There is some limited success in getting it to work for Mac and Linux using Wine, but even more current versions of Wine do not allow it to run. The versions available on Android and iOS are 1.703/1.702 respectively and incompatible. There is a rough, and not guaranteed, release date for the the updates of "October/November". As Aretmis is developed by one man in his spare time, Thom Robertson, and the fact that Thom is a full time school teacher, the November date could slip.

It could be possible to additionally set up a 1.702 install on the primary bridge and switch to that version if everyone during that session wished to play multi-bridge cooperative using their own tablets and laptops for the additional bridges, but some of the new features, including the specifically designed multi-bridge versus mode, will be lost. This is something that I will discuss with Lincoln and Jeff about.

I am really looking forward to Artemis this year at the con and I hope that I can help make it even more awesome than last year, for as many people as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know that 2.0 had problems running on Wine. That's a bummer!

ETA: I'll probably be bringing my MacBook that runs 1.7 without issue on Wine (PlayOnMac). I'll bring it whether or not I can play Artemis, because there's stuff I want to do on the flights there and back, but if you're looking for information about what people will have on-hand, there's my vote!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mitchell
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Do I have overtext?
badge
Yes I do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Me neither. It installed clean for me, and launched ok, I just haven't had an opportunity to actually play it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IngredientX wrote:
I didn't know that 2.0 had problems running on Wine. That's a bummer!

ETA: I'll probably be bringing my MacBook that runs 1.7 without issue on Wine (PlayOnMac). I'll bring it whether or not I can play Artemis, because there's stuff I want to do on the flights there and back, but if you're looking for information about what people will have on-hand, there's my vote!
The problems with 2.0 are only on later versions of Wine. There is a compete discussion on which versions of Wine it works on over on the Artemis forums for those so inclined to install 2.0 on this Mac/Linux rigs.

http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/search?searchid=27789892
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hennesy
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Baseball Card fanMicrobadge: Low and slow, that is the tempo!Microbadge: Android boardgamerMicrobadge: Fallout fanMicrobadge: Marvel Comics fan
My wife and I are coming to BGGCon for the first time this year (we'll be there in just a few hours!), and this sounds like exactly the kind of game to jump in to. Although, neither of us have ever played before.

Would that be too much of an issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls