Subject: Do you pull your chits from an unusual place? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blair
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My birthday present, a gift certificate to Cool Stuff, will soon transmogrify into a copy of Phantom Leader Deluxe. It's a game that involves multiple chit vessels for pulling purposes. In the past, I've used plastic cups or coffee mugs. They get the job done, no doubt. But I was wondering if anyone had found a particularly nifty place to hold their chits and from which to pull them. Two examples that crossed my mind, to give you an idea of what I'm looking for: (1) cups generally have a cylindrical or truncated-cone shape; something with a hemispherical bottom might make mixing easier and more random. (2) if you need multiple chit pools, 6 let's say, then a muffin or popover pan might be nice to keep them all in one unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zhe Leng
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kellvyn wrote:
My birthday present, a gift certificate to Cool Stuff, will soon transmogrify into a copy of Phantom Leader Deluxe. It's a game that involves multiple chit vessels for pulling purposes. In the past, I've used plastic cups or coffee mugs. They get the job done, no doubt. But I was wondering if anyone had found a particularly nifty place to hold their chits and from which to pull them. Two examples that crossed my mind, to give you an idea of what I'm looking for: (1) cups generally have a cylindrical or truncated-cone shape; something with a hemispherical bottom might make mixing easier and more random. (2) if you need multiple chit pools, 6 let's say, then a muffin or popover pan might be nice to keep them all in one unit.
I used a KFC container. A little bit shallow but still works. Seals well when I'm not playing.

Edit: fix the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nothing too unusual -- a coffee cup, the skulls of my vanquished foes, that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
Ritual incense cups I scavenged off a dead swami.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a gravy boat!

Works great, better than a coffee mug!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
Microbadge: US civil war units - Irish Brigade "Fighting Irish" (Union)Microbadge: Civil WargamerMicrobadge: US Civil War Units - Iron BrigadeMicrobadge: The Gamers Civil War Brigade series fanMicrobadge: Union Army, 11th Corps fan
I use an old cup I got from an old guy dressed up as a knight at a Renaissance Faire. He had a whole bunch of them there, and, weirdly, told me to "choose wisely". This one was marked down to $5.99, probably because it wasn't as nice as the others. All the others were crazy expensive. Seemed like a wise choice to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Microbadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: My drinks don't just taste good, they look good doing it.Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: Whiskey drinker
My first response/thought: …yeah, right outta my whistle

I do have a "gaming kit" that I use for both (gasp) Euros and Wargames. But, I have found various silicone baking cups to be handy.

There are small bowls/cups like:

I also have a set of silicone cupcake cups:

The nice parts with silicone cups are that they are durable, I find them being color coded handy, and they are flexible - the sides will move/form when either you are putting your meatsticks in to grab a chit, or you can kind of pinch the sides to make a spout when pouring the chits/tokens back into a bag/tray slot.

The main downside is that the little slivers of cardboard that you get when you punch out (or clip) chits tend to adhere to the insides of them. Fortunately, they wash up quite well.

I got one set at a craft store, and one at the local department store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sluggonics wrote:
I use an old cup I got from an old guy dressed up as a knight at a Renaissance Faire. He had a whole bunch of them there, and, weirdly, told me to "choose wisely".
He was dropping a Last Crusade reference on you, Indy.

I use these: http://www.wargamememories.com/rbm-wargame-memories-collecti...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chanfan wrote:
My first response/thought: …yeah, right outta my whistle

I do have a "gaming kit" that I use for both (gasp) Euros and Wargames. But, I have found various silicone baking cups to be handy.

There are small bowls/cups like:

I also have a set of silicone cupcake cups:

The nice parts with silicone cups are that they are durable, I find them being color coded handy, and they are flexible - the sides will move/form when either you are putting your meatsticks in to grab a chit, or you can kind of pinch the sides to make a spout when pouring the chits/tokens back into a bag/tray slot.

The main downside is that the little slivers of cardboard that you get when you punch out (or clip) chits tend to adhere to the insides of them. Fortunately, they wash up quite well.

I got one set at a craft store, and one at the local department store.

Oh I like those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fielder
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
I use baby feeding pots (with lids) for small chits and a shoe bag (with draw string) for large chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: You're in my zone of control!Microbadge: WargamerMicrobadge: Abe Vigoda - patron saint of wargamer requestsMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Dos vedanya Tovarisch!
I just use mugs.

BUT...

I do have a "millionaire fantasy" that one day I will get one of those antique fortune teller arcade machines with the mechanical dummy, and I will write the random events for games on the tickets, that will be dispensed during the game. I suppose I could also use it for unit activation as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
I just use mugs.
I use my "special" mug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife use to be rather into pottery making - so, I have a variety of pieces I use as needed - mostly the stuff that had flaws - not quite round, a bad glaze, too thick, whatever - I call them "Conscripts" to the war room container Army.

And, I go to Goodwill and Salvation Army looking for other things - like this thick porcelain Chinese tea cup set - no handles = perfect little chit holders.

And coffee cups - generally not used - we don't want a Chit Dunking Disaster - we use coffee cups for, well, uhhmm, coffee!

---------------

BTW, the clear Shot Glasses are for Dead Units.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I use the caps from Edge Shaving Gel containers. There are so many different types (sensitive skin, extra moisturizing, soothing aloe, etc.) each one of which comes with a different coloured cap, which makes them perfect when you're playing a wargame that requires more than one type of chit draw.

Gillette Foamy Shaving Cream containers are somewhat bigger, so depending on how sausage-like your fingers are, you may want the larger size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of dedicated receptacles for chit-pulls. One is an old, beat-up porcelain mug that advertises some rum for the Royal Navy; bought it at a little junk shop in the small town in Ohio where my sister lives. It's old and beat up enough that I don't think I would drink out of it!

I also have a little ceramic handle-less mug that features caricatures of Japan's prime ministers (up to about Koizumi I guess) that's also good for chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a bit careless last week. A small, red, cardboard square bobbed to the top of a frothing column of coke I'd just poured into the offensive cup. It had been the Soviet attrition chit. Fortunately it was redundant as South HQ had already conquered Romania that season. Remember transparent glass = beverage, opaque cup = chits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal cupcake forms. They look just like the silicone ones pictured earlier, but the chits slide out easier than the rubbery feeling silicone.

YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three mugs that I use.

One of them is an SFOR Bosnia 2000 49th Lonestar mug that I bought when I rotated into Bosnia with the 2/3 ACR. I bought that mug as opposed to my own units mug because it was a dollar on clearance vs 6 bucks.

My 1st SGT gave me hell for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mbmbmbmbmb
polate wrote:
I was a bit careless last week. A small, red, cardboard square bobbed to the top of a frothing column of coke I'd just poured into the offensive cup. It had been the Soviet attrition chit. Fortunately it was redundant as South HQ had already conquered Romania that season. Remember transparent glass = beverage, opaque cup = chits.
Long ago, at a friend's house, I left conquistador missionaries in
a coffee mug whilst we took a break from gaming. His grandmother
came in to clean house during the break, and soaked my poor friars.

Other lesson - don't game anywhere were you don't control access.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the title of the thread I don't even wanted to know what "unusual places" I might learn about yuk gulp

I use empty noodle cups from these instant-soups and / or empty sundaes.

The good thing about this is that you have to eat the soup / ice-cream first laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb
I use old yogurt containers. The 6 oz. Chobani containers, once the yogurt is consumed and the vessel cleaned, make very good draw cups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I often use a Crown Royal bag, but opponents always seem to pull them out of their arse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Something you'd buy? Nah, I'd never pay money for a chit cup. I use old yogurt cups. They're a nice depth/diameter, opaque, and they stack nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who after reading this title thought it was a new version of Rihanna's "We found love in a hopeless Place" called "Pulling Chits from the usual Place"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Microbadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: My drinks don't just taste good, they look good doing it.Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: Whiskey drinker
Sluggonics wrote:
I use an old cup I got from an old guy dressed up as a knight at a Renaissance Faire. He had a whole bunch of them there, and, weirdly, told me to "choose wisely". This one was marked down to $5.99, probably because it wasn't as nice as the others. All the others were crazy expensive. Seemed like a wise choice to me.

Hmm. Do the units always deploy full strength after going into the cup, I'm guessing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |