Subject: What's holding back your potential as a player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I think for me, it's my insistence on decks with some sort of unique "personal flair" to them, something I think nobody else is playing. I don't know why, but I love to build and play these kind of decks.

Also, mistiming my agenda scoring as corp. I tend to let agendas accumulate in hand, even when I could feasibly score them, because they tend to be safer in HQ and I need to build up $ high enough to not bankrupt myself protecting + scoring it.

Finally, as runner, I have to learn that it's ok to take net damage some times. I get too attached to the cards in my grip, the ones typically accumulating moss from just sitting there all game.

I fear many of these weaknesses come from my past experience with competitive ygo. (cardpool so huge you could make off-the-wall decks, knowing not to blow your whole load at once so you have stuff for later (tempo "saving"), and being horrified of forced, random discards)

I'm working on all of this, but old habits die hard.

So what's holding YOU back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mainly just not getting to play much. I probably play one night every two months or so and that's just not enough to keep up with everything and stay in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Villareal
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
dboeren wrote:
Mainly just not getting to play much. I probably play one night every two months or so and that's just not enough to keep up with everything and stay in practice.

No octgn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Mainly just not getting to play much.

Same here, I only play twice a week on average, would love to play every day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Cain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming the Corp is scarier than it is. A fearful runner will lose.
Actually, on the other hand, assuming the runner can get through things early when they can't really hurts too. Facechecking is really important when running since it gets that fear away and can make face down cards seem insignificant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OddCrow19 wrote:
dboeren wrote:

No octgn?

OCTGN only runs on Windows, so no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
OddCrow19 wrote:
dboeren wrote:

No octgn?

I'm in the same boat, and OCTGN doesn't really do it for me. I enjoy the feeling of holding the cards and making small talk with my opponent. Plus the gulf between newbies and pros is even wider on that platform: even when I start games with the title "octgn newbie" and warn my opponents in advance, they still complain about slow play and not using enough shortcuts. All these things make me less interested in jumping through hoops to get it working on my Mac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
My loyalty to Jintki. I make a pretty fierce NBN deck, but I always come back around to Jinteki because I feel like I'm cheating on her.

I play about 3-12 games per day, two days a week being at one of two different local card shops, but I almost always end up bringing my competitive Jinteki deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lysander1 wrote:
My loyalty to Jintki. I make a pretty fierce NBN deck, but I always come back around to Jinteki because I feel like I'm cheating on her.

I play about 3-12 games per day, two days a week being at one of two different local card shops, but I almost always end up bringing my competitive Jinteki deck.

My loyalty for NBN. And my irrational distaste for Scorched Earth-centric Tag & Bag. I feel dirty when I have it in my deck.

Of course, Midseason and Beale helped to elevate my deck despite that crippling combination, so now it's probably something on my Runner deck that's holding me back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me answer this for 98% of the runners...

"I spend too much time building my rig and not running enough."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Schaener
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The runner decks in my meta. It is nigh on impossible (outside of runner making poor choices against jinteki pe) to have any measure of consistently winning via flatline (or agendas outside of FA/rush for that matter) ue to the prevalence of rich criminals here. Because of that, I have a mildly harder time assessing potential game state when playing against people from other metas, leading to sometimes being to cautious when I see weird stuff get rezzed... like Sherlock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Confidence.

So often I'm runner and I look at the table: "Oh man, there's no way I can get in anywhere. I'm so behind."

On the flip side, I'm corp and I look at the table: "It's all a sieve! I can't stop them from doing anything!"

When I don't fall into that mind set and feel confident about my gameplan, I have more brain space for really reading the game versus just being defeatist.

P.S. For gaming in general, I find that feeling defeatist about my position, but still being a solid gamer can be dangerous. My self maligning comments prior to winning a game makes others want to slap me. I have yet to be slapped, but I do gets lots of ribbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Rubin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm out of runner ideas. I have a ton of corp ideas, and I understand how to play them. For runner, I'm just frustrated. Everyone says runner is stronger. Well, at a tournament yesterday I won 1/4 runner games and 3/4 corp games. This was with the Darwin deck that won 4/5 games just a few weeks earlier. That was the only good running game I ever had. Now it's gone. Spoiled cards make it seem even more gone. Now what do I do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Apreche wrote:
I'm out of runner ideas. I have a ton of corp ideas, and I understand how to play them. For runner, I'm just frustrated. Everyone says runner is stronger. Well, at a tournament yesterday I won 1/4 runner games and 3/4 corp games. This was with the Darwin deck that won 4/5 games just a few weeks earlier. That was the only good running game I ever had. Now it's gone. Spoiled cards make it seem even more gone. Now what do I do?

I felt this way as well for my longtime no-Datasucker Shaper deck. Naked Gabe revitalized my game, and improved how I run. I'll be with him for quite a while, at least until more Caissa programs come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OddCrow19 wrote:
I think for me, it's my insistence on decks with some sort of unique "personal flair" to them, something I think nobody else is playing. I don't know why, but I love to build and play these kind of decks.

Interestingly, the thing "holding me back" most in this game is the insistence that there are only certain decks to play. The serious crowd I had played with really only had 5 decks being played (with 2 of them nearly identical). Coming in with the rogue "weido" deck, I'd do okay, but it was annoying to hear about how awful certain cards like Sherlock were. Yes, I know it's not your favorite, but I was going for a theme.

So, what's holding me back? The community group-think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Time. I've done reasonably well in every tournament I've played in, but without more times for games, podcasts, and sleep, I doubt I'll get over the hump into winnerville.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My emotional headspace.

If I lose a game badly, it affects my play in the following games. For example, during the Regionals, I played Round 5 against
Captain Frisk
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
MIND|GAMES
mbmbmbmbmb

From his report:
Captain_Frisk wrote:
I get runner first against New NBN
He mulligans.
Corp Turn 1 - Ice HQ, Ice R&D, something in a remote.
Runner Turn 1.1: Run HQ -> Rez Popup window -> Access -> Steal an agenda
Runner Turn 1.2: Run R&D -> Rez Popup Window -> Access -> Steal an agenda
Runner Turn 1.3: Run R&D -> pay popup window -> Access -> Steal an agenda
Runner Turn 1.4: probably ran R&D again and hit something else.

Turn 2 he doesn't drop midseason, so I'm golden because he'll never be able to again. I win 10-0 a few turns later.

Next round he runs Andromeda and I fast advance away, I didn't write down the final score, but it wasn't a memorable game.

I lost the first game to a bad shuffle (no ice and three agendas top-deck; of course, nowadays that's what Jackson Howard can help with, if you get him), and the second game? I was dead. Distracted, frustrated, replaying the previous game. I need to be able to write the previous game off, no matter how embarrassing the loss, and move forward.

This happened almost the same way in the tournament I played yesterday (a much smaller affair than Regionals). First round, I lost the first game to a few stupid mistakes and some bad luck (playing against Jinteki:RP, I hit a Snare on R&D, then ran a remote that turned out to be a Cerebral Overwriter; I survived with 2 brain damage and no cards in hand, then my opponent drew a Neural EMP). Second game, even worse, he top-decked a bunch of agendas.

I managed somewhat to pull out of that spiral, but I remember that it was bothering me the rest of the day. Something similar happened with the last round; I had managed to claw my way to second place, but after losing the first game to a double-Scorch in what would have been winnable had I realized what was going on (a virtually-no-ice TWIY* Scorch Combo deck), I was too distracted when it was my turn to Corp.

(Of course, some of this definitely is deck tweaking; I ended up putting some more exposure effects in my Runner deck after yesterday, pulling out Bank Job--which I find to be a dead card these days--and also working in some additional card draw with Quality Time. Likewise, I tweaked my Corp to have a third Jackson and changed around my agenda rollout. But if I could learn the lessons without the emotional baggage, I'd appreciate it, brain. Thank you.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have internalized the discussions about Corp/Runner imbalance and it is poison. When I lose as Corp, I should think "What did I do wrong? What can I improve?" but instead I think "Runners are broken.". It makes the prophecy self-fulfilling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Time. I've done reasonably well in every tournament I've played in, but without more times for games, podcasts, and sleep, I doubt I'll get over the hump into winnerville.

Exactly. I spend more of my LCG time being competitive with Call of Cthulhu. Our group also plays several other LCGs and it's just not possible to be competitive with all of them - there isn't sufficient time unless perhaps you have no job and spend all day at the game store. Few of us have that luxury

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
etherial wrote:

Exactly. I spend more of my LCG time being competitive with Call of Cthulhu. Our group also plays several other LCGs and it's just not possible to be competitive with all of them - there isn't sufficient time unless perhaps you have no job and spend all day at the game store. Few of us have that luxury

There is something to be said for that, but it's a matter of making that choice. Part of the reason I decided not to pick up the Star Wars LCG is that I only have so many hours in the day and I'd rather focus on Netrunner. Plus, I didn't really enjoy it when I played it.

(And then there's that I have, you know, a job and a life, and the job is seconding me to a client in Japan for the year of 2014 and the life saw me get married...one LCG is more than enough, thankyouverymuch.)

(By the way, anybody know if there's a Netrunner scene in Japan? Kobe best, Osaka doable, Tokyo...well, maybe for the Chronos Protocol tour.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifantasy wrote:
There is something to be said for that, but it's a matter of making that choice. Part of the reason I decided not to pick up the Star Wars LCG is that I only have so many hours in the day and I'd rather focus on Netrunner.

It's absolutely a choice. Setting work, sleep, and family time aside (for those of us who have wives and/or kids) you have a certain amount of leisure time left and it's up to you to determine how you want to spend it.

Right now I'm collecting three LCGs - Call of Cthulhu, Netrunner, and Star Wars. We also occasionally play Lord of the Rings but I don't typically spend any time outside the actual game session on that one. Someone else makes the decks and I just drive the deck I'm given.

Anyway, by splitting my attention I'm limited to a casual-to-decent player level on Netrunner and Star Wars but probably not higher. I've thought about dropping down to two games in hopes of being relatively competitive at both but haven't really made that decision yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Frank
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
I can be pretty smart when I get a few days with a compiler, and a few nights’ sleep.

According to your badges you work in functional programming--I wonder how often you get either.

(Tail recursion is its own reward.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nish
United States
Marina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a 9 - 5 job and adult responsibilities is what is 'holding me back' in ALL my boardgaming endeavors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In short:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herr Untergeher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... what's holding back my potential?

I can think of a few things... First of all: I have a distaste for super effective one-trick-pony kind of decks... which means that my decks tend to do more things, but aren't as efficient...

When building my runner decks I try to prepared for all kinds of things... and then, because I want to try something new, I throw out my plascrete carapaces - and of course I'm running against some sort of tag&bag...

Another thing: I love Whizzard. And Shapers. Haven't played a lot of Criminals. Haven't wrapped my head around an Andromeda build... even though I'm thinking of a deck since she was released...

It's not that I don't have the time to experiment... it's just that I sometimes try to play Netrunner in a way the game cannot be played competitively - at least at the moment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.