Hide
10 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: So I started to paint my minis... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Raynor
msg tools
I got several cheap minis at my local store to practice on first. Everything looked great so i started with gandalf. Gave him a good priming and now its four days later and hes still sticky. The other minis dried within 15 mins, what did i do wrong? And what should I do now? Just paint over it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthbored wrote:
I got several cheap minis at my local store to practice on first. Everything looked great so i started with gandalf. Gave him a good priming and now its four days later and hes still sticky. The other minis dried within 15 mins, what did i do wrong? And what should I do now? Just paint over it?

Cheap primer would be my guess. I assume you did not use something form Citadel or Privateer Press? I've tried using cheap automotive primer from Walmart. I tried all kinds and like you, got results that wound up being sticky for a week.

From now on, I just pay the $10-$15 for the primer offered by Citadel or PP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Raynor
msg tools
Why would it work so well with other minis but not gandalf? Just a differentplastic? I did use colorplace walmart brand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just paint over it, I had the same issue using a good primer. As far as I can tell it's just some reaction between the plastic and primer but it doesn't seem to affect anything once the paint is applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David, by "good" primer, do you mean Citadel brand or similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Duplicolor Sandable Black. It may sound like it's not a "premium" brand (you can get it from auto stores), but it's a common recommendation from a lot of top competition painters. A lot of people on the Warmachine forums use it over the Privateer Press P3 brand and it's significantly cheaper. In fact, it was one of PP's in-house pro painters that first popularized it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you wash the gandalf figure?
I've had this happen when I forgot to wash the mini before priming.
That and if the humidity it to high when you primer it, it could keep it from setting properly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Raynor
msg tools
I did paint over it but the results werent ideal. Ill definitely wash from now on but for the ones ive primed should i wash them with alcohol and reprime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Before proceeding further, consult the Bible of WOTR mini-painting.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/37355/so-you-want-to-paint-y...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you pinned the flagpoles? My minis are really rubbery and I don't think I could paint the flags at all unless I use a pin in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.