Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 7th Sea RPG fanMicrobadge: Fantasy Flight Games fanMicrobadge: Gaming since 1973Microbadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fan
I'm sure you read the subject and thought "We have! There's the TOS Enterprise and the IKS Gr'oth". Let me challenge that notion.

So far, we have only seen ships that appear in The Motion Picture or later, nothing from the 1966-1969 Original Series. Both the "no bloody A" Enterprise and the D7/Gr'oth as in Attack Wing aren't just from the Original Series. They're from the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations". Why is the Enterprise card not that classic shot of the TOS Enterprise from the series credits, but a fan-made interpretation that's just...odd? Other shots (photon torpedoes) that supposedly have the 1701 in them are from the Refit Constitution Class/Enterprise-A, not the TOS Enterprise. Do any of the pictures say 1701? I can't remember it. Clearly the model doesn't, but none of the models do so they can easily represent generic ships.

The Gr'oth is the original D7 model from the 60's, loaned to the Smithsonian, then returned to Paramount & repainted for use in The Motion Picture (and later use in The Undiscovered Country).

Where are the ships that only appeared in TOS? Where's the original Romulan Bird-of-Prey? Where's a Tholian ship? (Wouldn't a ship that got special abilities/attacks when 2-3 ships are touching be fun?) Where's the Doomsday Machine scenario? Where's Deep Space Station K-7? Where's the Botany Bay? We never see a Gorn ship in TOS, but one was included in the remastered/CGI version of TOS. Yet the Gorn aren't a playable race. Why not?

We do get close. We see the wings of the Bird-of-prey behind a plamsa torpedo (a classic image). We see the Fesarius (Balok's ship) in "The Corbomite Maneuver" picture. Are there other ships from TOS we have glimpses of that I'm forgetting?

Does anyone know why we haven't seen these classic series ships? Will we ever? I've heard some theories but I'd love to see what other people think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fallout fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Fleet Captains fanMicrobadge: Talisman fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: MST3K fan
First off... the Romulan TOS BoP is coming:
http://www.universaldist.com/p-129359-star-trek-attack-wing-...

secondly, you make some really good points and I am wondering whether there are some issues in licensing with Paramount and CBS and Wizkids that is preventing imagery of the actual TOS Enterprise as seen in the original broadcasts, from being used? I have wondered since I bought the Enterprise for STAW if there wasn't some legal folderol going on that required using a completely different image of the Enterprise rather than a much easier to acquire screencap from the show.

Andrew? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star fanMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Arcadia Quest fanMicrobadge: Gaslands: I follow The Rule of Carnage!
I still stand by something that I posted in another thread. There were only 3 seasons of the TOS show to draw upon for ships, there were a combined 21 seasons of DS9, TNG, and Voyager to pull things from. You are going to see a lot more ships from those shows because frankly there are a lot more to choose from. I also think that on the whole, there are more fans of those shows than the original (at least those who are playing the game). The TOS fans may be more vocal, but they are the minority when compared to Trekkie fans as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star fanMicrobadge: Firefly: The Game fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Ascendancy fanMicrobadge: Arcadia Quest fanMicrobadge: Gaslands: I follow The Rule of Carnage!
double post, but the Original Romulan BoP is coming in wave 3 (february). The Botany Bay is a special object token that comes with Gen Khan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Dust Tactics fan - I play AxisMicrobadge: Dust Tactics fan - I play the AlliesMicrobadge: Dust Tactics fan - I play SSUMicrobadge: Level 07 BGG poster
How about the "Doomsday Machine"?

External image

Could be a fun scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: 2017 Secret Santa participant Microbadge: 7th Sea RPG fanMicrobadge: Fantasy Flight Games fanMicrobadge: Gaming since 1973Microbadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fan
hockeyjedi wrote:
First off... the Romulan TOS BoP is coming:
http://www.universaldist.com/p-129359-star-trek-attack-wing-...
That image definitely looks like the TOS-era BoP, but do we have actual images of the expansion pack yet? A quick search of Memory Alpha tells me that the Romulan BoP appeared on a computer display in the Voyager episode "Drone", so that may be getting around that ship.

Yeah, I've heard it's a licensing thing and Wizkids only has a license for ships that appeared from TMP onward, which is how they've gotten any TOS ships so far. Looks like the Romulan BoP might fall into that category too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fan
I wouldn't mind a white Klingon D-7 as it was in the original series...and with the command tower put on properly.

External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ender02 wrote:
double post, but the Original Romulan BoP is coming in wave 3 (february). The Botany Bay is a special object token that comes with Gen Khan.
Where's the original post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Caputo
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Arcane Legions Giveaway Contest participantMicrobadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
I wouldn't mind a white Klingon D-7 as it was in the original series...and with the command tower put on properly.:p

External image
Micro Machine...I have one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fallout fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Fleet Captains fanMicrobadge: Talisman fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: MST3K fan
Ender02 wrote:
I still stand by something that I posted in another thread. There were only 3 seasons of the TOS show to draw upon for ships, there were a combined 21 seasons of DS9, TNG, and Voyager to pull things from. You are going to see a lot more ships from those shows because frankly there are a lot more to choose from. I also think that on the whole, there are more fans of those shows than the original (at least those who are playing the game). The TOS fans may be more vocal, but they are the minority when compared to Trekkie fans as a whole.
I saw that thread and I agree with you. My point was more along the lines of, if they are using the TOS Enterprise, why is the card for the Enterprise using an image that is not from the show, while the generic Constitution is a TMP-era refit and the actual TOS Enterprise is on the photon torpedo card, but, doesn' specifically show the registry info? Its just a weird omission/substitution and makes me wonder if there isn't some legal mumbo-jumbo preventing WK from using actual TOS images of the Enterprise and calling it the Enterprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Military History buffMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: CaptainMicrobadge: Famous WWII units - 99th Infantry Division "Battle Babies/Checkerboard Division" (US)
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
I wouldn't mind a white Klingon D-7 as it was in the original series...and with the command tower put on properly.

External image
Indeed, we need one of these.

And, as apparently is going to happen, one of these:
External image

...and a properly sized one of these:
External image

...and of course, D-7's in Romulan service:
External image

...and let's not forget the Tholians...
External image

..and there are others as well (Klingon frigate, Orion raider, Botany Bay, various space stations, all from TOS).

Hopefully this game will run long enough for all of these to come to pass, and that all licensing issues are successfully dealt with.

Oh, and let's not forget...
we must have...LINCOLN!
External image

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Level 08 BGG posterMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner fan - ShapersMicrobadge: L5R Lion ClanMicrobadge: KeyForge fan - Sanctum
There are a number of reasons for a lack of TOS content.

1. Lack of available content. TOS comprises 3 seasons, out of 29 seasons and 12 movies. This means that, if we're not counting the TOS movies, there just isn't very much screen time from TOS.

2. Lack of usable content. Every Star Trek series after TOS had a higher production budget, allowing the creation of more ship models, more characters, and generally more content than TOS. This translates to more attention to later series elements.

3. Lack of recognizable content. Even among Star Trek fans, most people haven't watched a significant amount of TOS since the turn of the millennium. TNG, DS9, and even *shudder* Voyager are all more recognizable than TOS. And EVEN within TOS fans, most enjoy the movies more than the series, since, let's face it, the series was objectively horrible by modern standards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Military History buffMicrobadge: Wargamer of 40+ yearsMicrobadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: CaptainMicrobadge: Famous WWII units - 99th Infantry Division "Battle Babies/Checkerboard Division" (US)
Novacat wrote:

1. Lack of available content. TOS comprises 3 seasons, out of 29 seasons and 12 movies. This means that, if we're not counting the TOS movies, there just isn't very much screen time from TOS.

2. Lack of usable content. Every Star Trek series after TOS had a higher production budget, allowing the creation of more ship models, more characters, and generally more content than TOS. This translates to more attention to later series elements.

3. Lack of recognizable content. Even among Star Trek fans, most people haven't watched a significant amount of TOS since the turn of the millennium. TNG, DS9, and even *shudder* Voyager are all more recognizable than TOS. And EVEN within TOS fans, most enjoy the movies more than the series, since, let's face it, the series was objectively horrible by modern standards.

Also, it should be noted that 1960's TV seasons contained a lot more episodes than series in the 90's and later. TOS only lasted three seasons but saw 79 episodes produced. TNG, DS9, and Voyager each lasted seven seasons but each saw only around 170 episodes produced, so the disparity is not as great as it might have seemed.

Also - this has already been discussed I'm guessing, but any talk about ships based on Star Trek The Animated Series?

External image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Chargers

Janesville
Wisconsin
msg tools
Microbadge: German Panzer Tiger TankMicrobadge: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game fanMicrobadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: Tomb Raider fanMicrobadge: Steve Jackson Games “Car Wars Classic” Contest participant
MaximumDT wrote:
How about the "Doomsday Machine"?

External image

Could be a fun scenario.
That's awesome! Please send me one Doomday Machine figure with stat cards and scenario rules. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
From gallery of JustinKase

I imagine the move template would be 1 straight, and 1 soft left/right, Captain Skill 0.

Also, I guess the Squad Points would be 36 with the current model

For the Scenario, place the planet on one side of the table, the Doomsday Machine on the other. Each turn it will move closer. When it is in range 3 it can start to place tokens on the planet. Stop it before it blows up the planet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Agatha Raisin TV series, adapted from stories by MC BeatonMicrobadge: Fan of Volition GamesMicrobadge: PescatarianMicrobadge: Starsiege and Starsiege: Tribes FanMicrobadge: Fan of Ms Fisher's Modern Murder Mysteries
What you say?!

Board Game: Federation Commander: Klingon Border

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
desertfox2004 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

Also, it should be noted that 1960's TV seasons contained a lot more episodes than series in the 90's and later. TOS only lasted three seasons but saw 79 episodes produced. TNG, DS9, and Voyager each lasted seven seasons but each saw only around 170 episodes produced, so the disparity is not as great as it might have seemed.

Also - this has already been discussed I'm guessing, but any talk about ships based on Star Trek The Animated Series?

External image
Well, the Projected Stasis Field card uses an Image from the animated series... Does that count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Wargamer of 25+ yearsMicrobadge: VirginiaMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Cigar smokerMicrobadge: Miniatures Gamer
desertfox2004 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

External image
Excellent post! The episode count and the clamor for Animated Series content are words right out of my mouth, but I would not have thought to bring in the Dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
Novacat wrote:

3. Lack of recognizable content. Even among Star Trek fans, most people haven't watched a significant amount of TOS since the turn of the millennium. TNG, DS9, and even *shudder* Voyager are all more recognizable than TOS. .
External image

Dude.... my MOM knows the crew of TOS on sight. She wouldn't know Sisko or Janeway from Jay-Z or Kim Kardashian (well, its Trek, so Kim Cardassian I guess?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sci Fi Games fanMicrobadge: Doctor Who Solitaire Story Game Second Edition fanMicrobadge: Space Exploration fanMicrobadge: Member of the VGG community since day 1Microbadge: VGG: 4x Strategy genre fan
XanderF wrote:
What you say?!

Those models are available from ADB, including the Planet Killer which fortunately is not to scale. You'd need a BIG table for that battle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Trek: Attack Wing fanMicrobadge: Dungeons & Dragons fanMicrobadge: I'm a TableTop fanMicrobadge: 2013 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
desertfox2004 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

External image

Bring on the K'Zinti
...with Slaver weapons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls