Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan for this preview was to cover how the new tribes work and then explain a bit about the 5-player rules. The tribes are pretty easy to explain, and there are already some images of them available. The 5-player rules however are going to take me a bit longer to explain, as they are far more involved than just simply adding another player.

Tribes
At the start of the game, when dealing out wealth tiles, each player also receives 2 tribe tiles at random. At the same time as deciding on which wealth tiles to keep, you also choose one of the two tribes. That tribe gives you an ability that affects you (and only you) for the rest of the game – it’s as simple as that.

The CGE marketing imps have already posted details of 4 of the tribes up into the image section, so here are two different ones.

And in fact, I’m not even going to say anything more about them as the text speaks for itself.

5-Player setup & Quick Action rules

A large part of the expansion are the rules for the new Quick actions which must be used if playing with 5-players. However, they are a pretty neat idea, so CGE have also included rules for using them with less players.

The expansion contains a new ‘Quick action board’, which is placed over the top of the existing Starting Player space.

Also included are 13 Quick Action tiles, 7 for Age 1 and 6 for Age 2. The ones for Age 1 are shuffled and then placed in a random order around the outside of the Tzolk’in gear.

Now, I have to say I was horrified when I first heard about these rules, and I strongly objected. Why? Game balance? Too fiddly? Too complex? Nothing like that at all, but if anyone has seen the pictures of my painted gears, what this means is that the many hours that went into painting the different phases of the moon would now be covered up!

The first of the Quick Action tiles is then placed on the new Quick action board. As the game progresses, whenever the arrow points to a tooth corresponding to a new Quick Action tile, remove the old tile from the Quick Action board and replace it with the new one. In this way, the available quick action will change every other round (or sooner, if someone uses the time-speeding privilege).

On a turn in which you place workers, you may also place a worker on a Quick Action Space. Each Quick Action Space has a cost of 1. You may not place workers on more than one Quick Action Space per turn (but you are allowed to place one worker on a Quick Action Space and another on the Starting Player Space). If all Quick Action Spaces are occupied, then you cannot choose the quick action this turn.

Here are some of the Quick Action tiles and what they do

A Quick Action Space is similar to the Starting Player Space in that you get to use the benefits of this space on the same turn as you place a worker. It happens as soon as you are done placing workers, you then perform the quick action. You also do not wait for a pick up turn to get this worker back; the worker returns to you automatically at the end of the round.

The Age 2 quick actions are revealed on the first Food Day after feeding workers. By this time, 4 or 5 Age 1 quick actions have been removed from the Tzolk'in gear. The Age 2 tiles are randomly placed like the Age 1 tiles were.

I hope that explains it enough – that’s a rough overview – there is more detail in the full rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Williams
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh my glob. Now, that is an expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know when the rulebook will be available?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So does the Quick Action space still move start player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
fargus9 wrote:
Oh my glob. Now, that is an expansion!
I hope not until I've finished the previews, otherwise nobody will read them . My previews should tell you everything you need, just not all the finer details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
So does the Quick Action space still move start player?
Going on any of the quick action spaces does not change the start player. Only going on the start player space does that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, so the Quick Action board is in addition to the Start Player space. Okay, that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Oh
United Kingdom
PRESTON
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for Vacub-Caquix ability, do you pay for position X, then put worker on X+1 or do you pay directly for X+1 position, ie 1 corn more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You pay for the position that you place your worker on, so x+1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chooi wrote:
for Vacub-Caquix ability, do you pay for position X, then put worker on X+1 or do you pay directly for X+1 position, ie 1 corn more?
it says to pretend that the space you are skipping was occupied, so you pay for the space you actually put the worker into. In the example pictured, you pay 3 Corn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mb
PaulGrogan wrote:
A Quick Action Space is similar to the Starting Player Space in that you get to use the benefits of this space on the same turn as you place a worker. It happens as soon as you are done placing workers, you then perform the quick action. You also do not wait for a pick up turn to get this worker back; the worker returns to you automatically at the end of the round.
To clarify, you only get the quick action benefit after placing all workers on your turn? Meaning I can't grab 3 corn using the quick action and then immediately start using it?

I only ask because you compare it to the Starting Player Space, but that one gives you the corn on the teeth to use immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sdrewthomson wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:
To clarify, you only get the quick action benefit after placing all workers on your turn? Meaning I can't grab 3 corn using the quick action and then immediately start using it?

I only ask because you compare it to the Starting Player Space, but that one gives you the corn on the teeth to use immediately.
That is incorrect. The instructions specifically say you get the Starting Space corn at the end of the turn and CANNOT use it immediately to keep placing more workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

That is incorrect. The instructions specifically say you get the Starting Space corn at the end of the turn and CANNOT use it immediately to keep placing more workers.
Right, although you can use it towards food day requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
So much want.

Want
Want
Want
Want

Super cool - thanks for the preview!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mb
DoomTurtle wrote:
sdrewthomson wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

Wow, thanks, you're right. I'm glad to have been corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Algimants Petkuns
Latvia
Riga
Latvia
flag msg tools
any chance to get approximte corn-value of second era quick actions ? Like 1st era actions have value of 3 corn ( 1 stone = 3 corn , woon + corn = 3 corn , 3 corn = 3 corn lol ). What second era actions worth of ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Litovec wrote:
any chance to get approximte corn-value of second era quick actions ? Like 1st era actions have value of 3 corn ( 1 stone = 3 corn , woon + corn = 3 corn , 3 corn = 3 corn lol ). What second era actions worth of ?
They are the same in Age 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Algimants Petkuns
Latvia
Riga
Latvia
flag msg tools
PaulGrogan wrote:
Litovec wrote:
They are the same in Age 2
This tiles should be helpfull in first era ... but 2 ccorn worth(3 - pay 1) move in second half of game is a weak one....

And I still can't understand how do 5 player game (a very crowded one I believe) will be played without having extra corn/wood tiles , or some kind of new corn-getting/resource-getting engine ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is extra corn and wood tiles too for 5 players, I just didn't mention it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
There is extra corn and wood tiles too for 5 players, I just didn't mention it
So, are there extra tile slots or are the extra tiles piled on top of the existing tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caibre wrote:
So, are there extra tile slots or are the extra tiles piled on top of the existing tiles?
You just put extra tokens next to the existing ones as if there were 5 spaces for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
...but if anyone has seen the pictures of my painted gears, what this means is that the many hours that went into painting the different phases of the moon would now be covered up!
Links please!

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG arrrh
You made my day cool

Can't wait french translation !!

By the way : my poor painted gear... is there a way to play without covering the main gear ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huracan seems extremely powerful compared to the rest of the tribes that appeared so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pikaraph wrote:
is there a way to play without covering the main gear ?
Sorry, I don't see the problem - if I understand correctly, they are just tokens placed on the gear, no different from putting a pile of corn on the gear.

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |