Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Rossetti
United States
Ontario
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's all the hotness about? I remember this game from my childhood. I played it a few times and thought it stunk. It could not hold a candle to Heroquest. They only thing I remember being great about it were the cool minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Augerot
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was linked from /r/boardgames on reddit. 39 upvotes. Kind of puts perspective on this website's readership.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Zimmerman
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This popped up in r/boardgames on reddit so it's probably getting hits from that post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hotness is just a site traffic indicator, not a good game indicator.

That's why it is loaded with so much over-hyped crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Pirard
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game.

I remember Dorn being in the hotness too and many people asked why, beause it was an unknown game.

Thanks to the spot in the hotness, I discovered Dorn.
Turns out that Dorn is one of the best games I ever played.

Perhaps this way other people will discover it and perhaps like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I miss my copy of Dark World. It wasn't a great game, but it had immense "toy value".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was younger I cannibalized the village set into Warhammer terrain.

Pretty spendy buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's a weird thing: I just today found a sealed copy of this game while cleaning out our laundry room!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Thorpe
United Kingdom
Birkenhead
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Cosmic Encounter fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fan - cultist of the Great CthulhuMicrobadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook
I throw my copy in the bin about 6 months back. It was crap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Wolf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
Ok, here's a weird thing: I just today found a sealed copy of this game while cleaning out our laundry room!
Dlthorpe wrote:
Wormhole?
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A good old (if a bit obscure game) to be sure.

Simpler than Heroquest, so re-playability suffers a bit. But had some really neat-o, gee-wow toy factors like the Placing of specific weapons in chests. Secret passages. Innovative turn order randomizer in the form of a plastic sword. When you died, you "respawned" back in the start zone. And it had this coop/competitive game play aspect. Tons of minis, cool cardboard dungeon and plastic bad guy dias.

Game had two extremely hard to find and ridiculously priced expansions that added a ton more plastic and thematic areas to travel to.

I've got two copies of the base set. Too bad I never knew about the expansions till a year ago. (Village of Fear and Dragons Gate).

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
Microbadge: BattleTech fanMicrobadge: I am amongst the dangerous elite!Microbadge: Tough Mudder FinisherMicrobadge: Sword ownerMicrobadge: LEGO fan
Gaston2010 wrote:
I remember Dorn being in the hotness too and many people asked why, beause it was an unknown game.

Thanks to the spot in the hotness, I discovered Dorn.
I read that as "Doom" being an unknown game.

Damned console gamers don't appreciate how it all started!

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mb
The Hotness is also somewhat self-reinforcing. Once an unusual or new item hits the list, BGG users will click on in to see what the heck it is, which raises it higher, which causes more clicks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this game was fairly bad, not a patch on heroquest. but the scenery came in handy for warhammer games back when i was a child
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:

A good old (if a bit obscure game) to be sure.

Simpler than Heroquest, so re-playability suffers a bit. But had some really neat-o, gee-wow toy factors like the Placing of specific weapons in chests. Secret passages. Innovative turn order randomizer in the form of a plastic sword. When you died, you "respawned" back in the start zone. And it had this coop/competitive game play aspect. Tons of minis, cool cardboard dungeon and plastic bad guy dias.

Game had two extremely hard to find and ridiculously priced expansions that added a ton more plastic and thematic areas to travel to.

I've got two copies of the base set. Too bad I never knew about the expansions till a year ago. (Village of Fear and Dragons Gate).

~Will

I have a complete set of all three games (the expansions were also stand-alone games with different rules). They look awesome set up (and linked together to form the entire "world"), and they have a geeky charm. They are not great games, but I love them for what they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KidDetective wrote:
It was linked from /r/boardgames on reddit. 39 upvotes. Kind of puts perspective on this website's readership.
I'm a mod of /r/boardgames. Someone over there made essentially the same comment in this thread

I think your analysis, which seems to be "A post with just a few upvotes had a huge influence on The Hotness, therefore the total readership of BGG is small" is faulty.

I will repeat here, to save you all a click, what I wrote there:

timotab on reddit wrote:
I think you're underestimating the readership of reddit. Remember that only a very small proportion of people reading reddit actually make accounts, a small proportion of those make the effort to vote, and that a tinier proportion still actually post. So trying to estimate readership of, say, /r/boardgames, from the number of people who post and comment here is hard.

Our traffic stats (linked in the sidebar) show that we get typically anywhere between 6,000 and 9,000 unique visitors per day in this subreddit. We're also currently getting around 110,000 - 120,000 unique visitors per month. That number demonstrates that we get some, but not a great deal of overlap. So over the 2 days (covering 3-day-periods that the stats cover) there could have been maybe as many as 10,000-15,000 visitors to the sub. That number of uniques per month is far in excess of our subscribers, which shows that people visit here without being subscribed, even though it's not a default subreddit.

So there were likely several thousand people who saw that post and took a look to see what the poster was talking about. Note that because the poster didn't mention the game name in the post, you at least had to look to see what the URL was in order to determine what he was talking about, and more than likely people clicked. Only after that (most likely) would they have voted.

So, I think that reddit had such an influence, not because BGG is viewed by so few people, but because reddit is more influential than you realised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to follow up, bgg is the 5600th-ish most visited site in the world which is pretty good. reddit is 90th which is REALLY big. its just a matter of scale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
CJWF wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
Dlthorpe wrote:
Wormhole?
rare for a comment to make me laugh out loud like that...thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Probst
Germany
Waghäusel
of the Art
flag msg tools
K I S S
badge
Tennessee Titans
Microbadge: Houston Oilers fanMicrobadge: Houston Oilers Warren Moon fanMicrobadge: Tennessee Oilers Steve 'Air' McNair fanMicrobadge: Tennessee Titans Vince Young fanMicrobadge: Tennessee Titans fan
gamerhusband wrote:
What's all the hotness about? I remember this game from my childhood. I played it a few times and thought it stunk. It could not hold a candle to Heroquest. They only thing I remember being great about it were the cool minis.
You have plastic Heroes and plastic Orcs and a 3D Board, remember it's 1992 and this is one of the first Adventure Game in "German langue" (due to this time more than "rare")!
A must-have due to this time, but yes, there is no value or replayability like Heroquest, and you get only the full-flavor-game-experience if you have all three games of this set on the table! The expansions is a must-have if you want to play this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I loved about how the three games (I don't think they should be called expansions) worked together is the running story... You start out in the wilderness, and you need to get through the gates to the village by defeating a dragon. If you get past the dragon, you move through the village to the entrance of the castle, where you fight the level 2 boss. Then you enter the castle for the final challenge, where you have another two bosses to fight. It's delightfully computer-gamey, and it works logically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember this having any expansions/add on games. That picture above looks awesome though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer-attack wrote:
I don't remember this having any expansions/add on games. That picture above looks awesome though.
Yup - Darkworld: Village of Fear was the second game, and Darkworld: Dragon's Gate was the third (and smallest). Unusually, when you played all the games together, you played the third game first, and the first game last...

I really need to get up reviews for all three. I've been meaning to do it for ages, but setting up all the games for photos and stuff takes a bit of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CJWF wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
Dlthorpe wrote:
Wormhole?
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, what the heck - I reviewed it today here. Should also pop up on BGG later on, if it passes the mods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erzengel wrote:

This is an absolute beauty on the table! Thank you for posting these!

The game is simple enough to easily add rules/complexity to make it
more interesting. It was so straight forward you could almost call it
a sandbox game.

And as someone else stated... very computer gamey.

~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |