1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Look for 2 player games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hiram Witkop
msg tools
Hello,

My wife and I are looking for some good two player games for us to play. Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out Metalist for 2 Player Games Geeklists (71 lists!).

As for my wife and I we have really enjoyed:

Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Castles of Burgundy (or any Feld for that matter), Race for the Galaxy, Carcassonne, Innovation, Rivals for Catan, Qwirkle, Saint Petersburg, Alhambra, and Guildhall.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from New User Questions to Recommendations.

You'll get better responses here.

My favourite games to play with my lover are:
Carcassonne, Oregon, Fresco and The Downfall of Pompeii. All are around 45mins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the Kosmos two-player series. Their newest that my wife and I are really enjoying right now is...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some good games that I play with my girlfriend:

Race for the Galaxy

Agricola

Castles of Burgundy

---------------------------------

Those seem to be my top three right now. That said, if you think your wife likes a certain type of game, maybe give us hints. If you need a good two-player game, there are hundreds I could recommend. For example, Twilight Struggle is fantastic, but my girlfriend will never play it. I know this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nukesniper wrote:
Here are some good games that I play with my girlfriend:

Race for the Galaxy

Agricola

Castles of Burgundy

---------------------------------

Those seem to be my top three right now. That said, if you think your wife likes a certain type of game, maybe give us hints. If you need a good two-player game, there are hundreds I could recommend. For example, Twilight Struggle is fantastic, but my girlfriend will never play it. I know this.

Great post. Get these games.... all look overwhelming at first but explained well, it proves to not be the case

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kaercher
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you're a fan of Cyclades. In that case I'd suggest Kemet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You really need to give more information. Most important questions:

How long would you like the games to be? 4 hour games or 20 minute games?
Does your wife like fantasy/science fiction themes?
Does your wife like luckless battle of minds games?

Without knowing the answers to any of these, here are my generic recommendations:

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Pandemic / Forbidden Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few games that play with 2 (either strictly a 2-player game or plays good with 2) are Medici vs Strozzi, Plato 3000, Artus, Seasons, Bruges, Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League, Finca and Le Havre.

Please note that this list has a wide range of "weights", so read up on them.

Also, lots of great suggestions so far, and many more to come, I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've enjoyed Memoir '44 best so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn is great. But perhaps too much for the start

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Light/simple:
TaYü

Medium:
Targi

Deep (with conflict):
Antike Duellum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to assume you want any games that play well with 2, not just 2 player only games.

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game (or any of the expansion sets, since they all can be played standalone)
Blue Moon (although you may want to hold out for the reprint, Blue Moon Legends)
Terra Nova
Power Grid (don't let the naysayers persuade you otherwise, this game is amazingly tense in 2-player)
Clans
Claustrophobia
Carcassonne: The Castle

I may edit later if I think of more that stand out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see you own Race for the Galaxy & Carcassone which are probably the top two games I've played with my wife. The rest of our top 5 would probably be Indian Chief, Citadels, Cribbage, but currently we mostly play Race for the Galaxy.

Have you tried any of the games you own with your wife and which did she like/hate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soares
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex
Revolver
Claustrophobia
Warhammer: Invasion
Ascension
Summoner Wars
Village
Ninjato

These are just some great 2 player games to start you off. Of course, I could name a boat load more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games my wife and I play:

Pandemic + Pandemic: On the Brink + Pandemic: In the Lab as our main game, and our favorite to play together at family gatherings.

Star Trek: Fleet Captains + Star Trek: Fleet Captains – Romulan Empire as a game to trick her into playing a war game, but love that you can win without ever firing a shot (ie, it matches different play styles into a single game).

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game in co-op mode. We enjoy this one a bit for its Indiana Jones theme and look forward to buying some expansions for it.

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game + A Touch of Evil: Something Wicked Expansion in co-op mode (since we rarely pull down Arkham Horror + Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion due to play time and some game pacing issues). Think of this a Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow board game.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple + Escape: The Curse of the Temple – Expansion 1: Illusions is a fun 10 minute co-op dice chucking game, a great quick filler which makes it get a fair amount of play. Unfortunately, I don't like the time pressure stress of the game so I only like to play one or two games - and I bet it gets harder and more chaotic with more than two people throwing dice.

War of the Ring (Second Edition) + War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth + War of the Ring: Lords of Middle-earth – Treebeard Mini-Expansion is one I wish got more play, but my wife has been overwhelmed with learning rules and she's forgotten how to play this one again. Another one that uses mixed play styles in one game (the Free People try to sneak the ring into Mordor and destroy it, while Sauron tries to march armies and conquer the lands of Middle Earth).

Castle Panic + Castle Panic: The Wizard's Tower is a light co-op game that doesn't get nearly as much play as it should (mostly because I like the rules chunky and lengthy games in our collection). Still, a fun light game that works really well with my aging mother and younger kids, so perfect for family gatherings.

Both Mansions of Madness + Mansions of Madness: Forbidden Alchemy + Mansions of Madness: Call of the Wild and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) + Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Lair of the Wyrm serve as my quasi-rpg game. We don't like the missions that use "make a hero into a traitor" mission deck options, but it makes for a fun narrative experience because I'm an old tabletop role player. Replay value of these games are limited. Alas, Descent: Journeys in the Dark + Descent: The Road to Legend + Descent: The Well of Darkness + Descent: The Sea of Blood + Descent: The Tomb of Ice + Descent: The Altar of Despair rarely come down because of the time involved in playing one game of those, but at least I can port over the monsters to 2nd edition.

We still love a good game of Scrabble, Boggle, or Upwords every now and then.

She knows the rules, but still haven't gotten her to play a game of Chess - and I am not a fan of Checkers (so we don't play that). Still, I hope to get her to play chess soon.

The Pillars of the Earth is one she likes, but she and I agree this only really shines when playing 4 players. Its sort of meh with 2 players due to the lack of competition, but its a fun little euro worker placement game.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game was fun for a few plays, but neither she nor I are really into managing decks - so that game wore thin after a little while. Might pull it down again.

These are our games we like - as you can see, the bias if for true co-op games or games that can be won without direct conflict (the "life hands you lemons" style of games where you have to make the best out of the situation you have at hand). Please note that A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game and Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game both have a competitive and and co-op mode, so those could work if you prefer to have head-to-head conflicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion - This was the game that turned my girlfriend into a gamer. Fun, easy to learn.

Fluxx - More luck then strategy but a lot of fun. For the price you'll defiantly get your moneys worth. Several versions, more or less the same game so just get whatever theme you dig.

Battles of Westerose - Perhaps a bit more of a learning curve but a great 2 player strategy battle game.

Warhammer Invasion - If you like deck building and knowing what your getting when you buy a booster pack.

Mansions of Madness - Mentioned earlier, is an awesome game however I would recommend more then 2 players for the best experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Karter
msg tools
Tic Tac Toe - XXO Bikini Edition, simple but entertaining with two players on one device.
download url: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sunmedia.n...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lighter and / or quicker games:
Hive - I suggest this anytime someone asks for a two player game. Not exactly lighter, but quicker.
Hey, That's My Fish!
BattleCON: War of Indines (or the sequel Devastation)
+1 Summoner Wars
Light Speed (I think you can get this at DriveThruCards.com)

Heavier games:
+1 Power Grid
Seasons actually plays well with two players
Pixel Tactics

Medium:
NOIR: Deductive Mystery Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Martinson
United States
Mabank
Texas
flag msg tools
Ignore the masses and find your own truth...
mbmbmbmbmb
San Juan, Jambo, Ingenious, Lost Cities, Castles of Burgundy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmbmb
Recommendations
Some of these have already been mentioned, but they're worth recommending.

My favourite 2 player only games are Balloon Cup and Lost Cities.

Other games that I love that play well with 2 are:
Kingdom Builder: Just as fun with 2 players as with 4, simple rules to learn but very strategic once you get into it

Finca: Beautiful components and art, and very good gameplay. Involves producing and selling fruit in various combinations for points.

Dominion: So many possible card combinations just in the base game, and always fun.

Kingsburg: Includes a 2 player variant which actually plays well (unlike a lot of variant rules which usually seem like an afterthought). Also great up to 5 players, so quite flexible.

Village: One of the newest games in my collection. More complicated to learn, but well worth it. Involves worker placement and production. You need to be quite aware of long term strategy and making every move count.

Agricola: Another game with lots of choice and too many things you want to get done in a limited time. Good even just with one player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
I'm going to assume that you already know about Chess / Shogi / Xianqi, Go, Backgammon and Scrabble. Those are big name 2-player games for real reasons. If you are fans of them, there are many many variants of those you can search for.

For 2 player games you might not have heard of, I can recommend
Morels for a lightish very thematic set-collection game,
The Duke (or it's lighter and still forthcoming cousin: Vici) - for tactical and interesting chesslikes that add randomness
Ogre - for true wargaming with a manageable amount of complexity
Brawl - a realtime fighting card game
Mystery Rummy - as a neat thematic variant on a card game you may already know
Hanabi - as a co-operative game which can actually work as a two player.
and Puzzle Strike as probably the best deckbuilder, with depth that holds up after thousands of 2 player games. (Unlike Dominion, which cries out for adding expansions somewhere around 80 plays in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowdy van Lieshout
Netherlands
Huis ter Heide
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say:

Race for the Galaxy (with the first two expansions if you like the base game) One of the best games to play with two and you can play the game with more if you want to. You can't go wrong with this one. (The symbols aren't as hard to understand as some people might say.)

or Summoner Wars, if you like asymmetric tactical card battles.

and TTR: Switzerland /Nordic Countries, but I haven't played the last one. Easy rules. Very nice.

Balloon Cup is also nice. Simple card game with a little 'take that'. They say the new game: Piñata is the same game with a different theme, but the video reviews tell a different story (same idea, but different rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.