Popular Tags: [View All]
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the 6th Annual Santa Grogs Secret Santa/Geek Exchange!

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

This is the Sixth Annual Santa Grogs Wargame Geek Exchange

In celebration of Santa’s generosity, we strive to follow in his footsteps. Join this exchange to anonymously share some wargames with your fellow geeks.

Click here to join the exchange!

Missed the first exchange? Try the second!

Requirements

1 You must be an established member of BGG. No "new user" accounts are permitted to join.

2 You must sign up for this exchange before Sunday, November 3, 2013.

3 You must stipulate where you're willing to ship. Unless you state where you're willing to ship, you accept that you may be asked to ship to far-flung locations. Furthermore, if you restrict your ship-to locations too severely, you may be removed from the exchange. This happened last year to one person who was the only participant from their country and were only willing to ship within that country.

4 We have a very friendly and generous community. However, on rare occasions individuals have taken advantage of that generosity. As administrator of this Geek Exchange, I reserve the right to remove anyone that I believe does not meet the standards of our community, either due to previous bad acts or current suspicious activity.

Options

Give Only

If you select the option to “Give Only,” you will not receive a target. Instead, you will become a member of the Elf Commando Squad. See more detail below.

Elf Commando Squad
The Elf Commando Squad is responsible for making sure everyone has a good Santa Grogs Christmas. They pick up the slack when other Santas are unable to give appropriate gifts to their targets.

You may also volunteer to be part of the Elf Commando Squad (in addition to having a regular target) by emailing me after the targets have been compiled and distributed. I will coordinate with the Elf Commando Squad to make sure that all participants receive something.

Expectations

Receivers

1 You may not receive a game on your wishlist. The longer and more detailed your wish list entry is, the more likely you will be pleased with what you receive. However, the gift you receive is at the discretion of the giver.

2 The game you receive may be used. The intent and spirit of the exchange is that givers will give a new copy of a game to their target, but out of print games on your wishlist likely won't be new.

3 You may not receive as many items as other people on the list. This exchange is random and anonymous. Some participants can afford to be more generous than others, but everyone is trying to share as much joy and be as generous as their situation allows. Please be respectful and thankful for any items received.

Givers

1 You are expected to ship a new game to your target. If your target has out of print games on their wishlist and you have a copy to send, you may do so provided it is a complete game in playable condition that you would have been happy to receive yourself. It is difficult to put a price tag on this requirement, as the nature of the used games market produces a huge spectrum of costs and value. As a general guideline, the suggested value is around $50. The goal is to be generous without concentrating on the actual dollar value of an item.

2 You are responsible for shipping your gifts. I strongly encourage everyone to purchase tracking and insurance for their packages, as this will help us to resolve any issues that might arise.

3 You may have to do some investigation. This is not the main BGG exchange. Not everyone will post wargame secret Santa specific wishlist comments, and even those who do may not have desires you can match. You will need to look at their profile, their personal wish list, want in trade list, games rated highly but not owned, etc. This is your chance to play detective and be creative. It’s possible you know of a game that would be a perfect match, but that your target has never even heard of.

If you have trouble finding items to give your target, please contact:

Elf Commando Squad
Canada
flag msg tools

Taunting

You are required to communicate anonymously with your target by the 11th of November. This can be for practical purposes such as learning more about their gaming tastes, or just for fun to tell them a package is on the way. This is a new requirement for 2013. You don't have to write a dissertation to your target. A simple "Santa Grogs has you in his sights" is sufficient. But I feel pretty strongly that all of us want to know that Santa Grogs is on the job.

To this end, we have set up a BGG account:
Santa Grogs
APO/FPO
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Username: Santa Grogs
Password: happyholidays (case-sensitive, no caps)

If you have not heard from your Santa Grogs by the 11th of November, please let the Elf Commando Squad know!

If you have not communicated with your target by the 15th of November, I reserve the right as Geek Exchange Administrator to kick you out of the exchange.

IMPORTANT! - Remember to LOG OUT of the Santa Grogs account before you perform any other personal BGG business.

Shipping
With a closing date to sign up of November 3rd, that leaves SIX WEEKS to Christmas. You should make every effort to have a package in the mail to your target by Sunday December 8th. You are required to let your target know when a package is underway.

If you have not heard from your Santa Grogs that a parcel is on its way by the 15th of December, please let the Elf Commando Squad know.

Suggestions

Post an entry on the 2013 Santa Grogs Wishlist. The Wish list is an excellent way to express what games you are interested in receiving, as well as to give suggestions about what types of games you like in general. This is very helpful for your Santa Grogs. The more information you provide, the better your chances of receiving something you enjoy.

How can you expect something from Santa if you don’t let him know what you want?

Once you receive a package, post an entry on the 2013 WARGAMERS Look What Santa Grogs Sent Me!. This is very important because it lets your Santa know that the package arrived safely.

Your Mom taught you to always say “Thank you,” didn’t she?

Update the "Parts Wanted" section of your profile. Parts make great Stocking Stuffers!

Links
(These will be updated as they are created)

2013 Secret Santa Grogs Exchange

2013 Santa Grogs Wishlist
2013 WARGAMERS Look What Santa Grogs Sent Me!
Most Popular Games of the 2013 Wargame Secret Santa Exchange
Santa Grogs friendly retailers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2013 Wargame Secret Santa Grogs - EXCHANGE IS OPEN
I'm in! Great fun last year. Looking forward to it this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad! We already have 16 signed up, and 2 Elf Commandos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Not bad! We already have 16 signed up, and 2 Elf Commandos!

SEAL's = Santa Elf Allied Logistics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Kassel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Crush. Mix. Burn. Repeat.
mbmb
First time for me, was already waiting for this to start for a few weeks now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Market Harborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
Ne Oublie
badge
You're feeling dizzy... Now all your boardgames belong to me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in too! Always great fun... Thanks for running it, Roger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavan Cunningham
Canada
Regina
SK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
registered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"Tenacity, Dick. Stay with the bastard until he's on the bottom." LCDR Mush Morton to LT Richard H. O'Kane, USS WAHOO (SS 238)
mbmbmbmbmb
Back for a second time. So glad to be a part of this great community.

Thanks for orchestrating this again, Roger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't been able to do a secret santa the past two years, but I am looking forward to getting back into it this year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
*Nyan*
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You may not receive a game on your wishlist. The longer and more detailed your wish list entry is, the more likely you will be pleased with what you receive. However,
Eh?
You cannot receive a game from your wishlist?
So everyone gets something not on their list?

What/where is a want list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to it this year! I believe this is number four for me. I'm only going to be able to ship US this year, unfortunately, but it will still be a ton of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nukeu666 wrote:
Quote:
You may not receive a game on your wishlist. The longer and more detailed your wish list entry is, the more likely you will be pleased with what you receive.
Eh?
You cannot receive a game from your wishlist?
So everyone gets something not on their list?
What it means is that if your list of games only includes games that are out of print (harder to find) or very expensive, then your Santa has the very reasonable option to choose your gift themselves.

Quote:
What/where is a want list?
You already have one.

For example, looking a your profile you only have 9 games in your wish list.

Five of them are out of print.

Three of them retail for well over $50. The one left makes the cut but then one has to figure in shipping to India, assuming there isn't an online game shop one could order for.

If you intend on joining the exchange, I'd plan on expanding your wish list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wajda
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up! New wargamer and first time doing this Secret Santa. Excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is the 5th year in a row I have signed up. One of my favorite things on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'm in again. Will try not to overdo it too much this year... Mwahahahaha!!!! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thompson
United States
Taylor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Old Ironsides being overflown by the Blue Angels
mbmbmbmbmb

In once again! I enjoyed the experience last year (my first time) and am looking forward to it this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Kassel
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Crush. Mix. Burn. Repeat.
mbmb
licinius wrote:
And I'm in again. Will try not to overdo it too much this year... Mwahahahaha!!!! devil

Carl Paradis spamming around with No Retreat copies! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Kraft
Germany
Burghausen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McCarson
United States
Sanford
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Go Army!
badge
Beat Navy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Started setting up my Santa Tracking Operations today...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
legendno6 wrote:
Started setting up my Santa Tracking Operations today...

Roger Tannenbaum control. We have one bogie inbound at Reindeers 9, Vector 347. Move to intercept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I really want to get involved in this but things get very expensive very quickly when shipping out of the UK so I can't decide what to do. I don't want to be mean and say I can only send to the UK but if I ship overseas it really limits how much stuff I can send. Dilemma. Sad face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
Québec City
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moujamou wrote:
I really want to get involved in this but things get very expensive very quickly when shipping out of the UK so I can't decide what to do. I don't want to be mean and say I can only send to the UK but if I ship overseas it really limits how much stuff I can send. Dilemma. Sad face.

Shipping to and from the UK to Canada is pretty cheap. Go figure why... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geri
Hungary
Debrecen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to not send the gift from my country but order it from one of the target country's shop? The shipping cost would be less in this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] |