Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I just played Spaghetti 7 times with a friend of mine.
All games are won by the second (red) player.

It seems inevitable that the first player (white) places the first two neutral black balls and that creates a strong disadvantage for white.
We tried many different openings to analyze the situation.

Does anyone agree or disagree that the game has strong 2nd player advantage? If so, is there any good rule to fix it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Néstor Romeral Andrés
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
no_where_dense wrote:
I just played Spaghetti 7 times with a friend of mine.
All games are won by the second (red) player.

It seems inevitable that the first player (white) places the first two neutral black balls and that creates a strong disadvantage for white.
We tried many different openings to analyze the situation.

Does anyone agree or disagree that the game has strong 2nd player advantage? If so, is there any good rule to fix it?

Maybe Phil can answer in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Leduc
United States
Tiverton
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw cheese! You are correct, the 2nd player has an advantage. She can usually force "interior" moves or reach a dead end.

I suggest the following possible repairs - I have not tested these but they are something to chew on.

1) Play two games, alternating who plays first. Players add their scores from both games to determine a winner. Ties are possible.

2) Use only two black neutral balls, one to start and one to top off the game. When unable to follow the movement rules, you get a free move instead but you still take the tie breaker - you could use the second black ball!

3) When a player makes an interior move, he gets to move again! You will need a few extra player balls.

Thank you, Ken, for your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.