Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've kinda burnt myself out on player vs. player, agressive battle board games, and area control board games. I played a one turn a week game of Diplomacy that lasted several months and that killed my desire to play these types of games. The strategy in these types of games always boils down to one where everyone teams up against the person winning, then they 'kill the leader', divide the spoils, and out race each other for the finish. This makes games that last forever (as no one wants to be the leader), or causes players to stretch themselves thin to 'kill the leader'.

Is there anything in this game that prevents this dynamic from happening?

The only 'area control' game I will play is Small World, because, unless you are Rain Man and memorize the points each player is generating per turn, it is difficult to know who is winning. This causes players to be more tactical and fight immediate threats, defend themselves, convince others that they are not the leader, and convince others that player X is the leader, instead of just 'killing the OBVIOUS leader'.

Am I making sense here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Four-player game can be played in teams...that would eliminate this undesired effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Linder
Sweden
Västerås
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since the game hasnt been released yet this is only speculation;
If you read the rules, you will see that the gameboard consist of at least 5 sectors and the number of moves a player can take with one of his pawns is the number of pawns at his sector (including himself) before moving.
This, in my mind at least, makes for a more hard time to constantly aiming for one particular player and instead helps spread the aggression.

But if your group that you play with has that mentality of playing in those ways, its pretty hard to play any games except co-op games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Bayreuth
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you continue reading the rules you will find that the multiplayer game is specifically geared to NOT allow for player bashing. Instead of other players loosing life - YOU gain VP... First to 20 wins.

Elegant and awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benji_online wrote:
If you continue reading the rules you will find that the multiplayer game is specifically geared to NOT allow for player bashing. Instead of other players loosing life - YOU gain VP... First to 20 wins.

Elegant and awesome
How does that discourage or "not allow" leader bashing? Presumably you can still do SOMETHING to hinder / hurt / block other players in the game (assuming there is any kind of non-trivial interaction, and it's not just simultaneous solitaire - right?)

So if someone is ahead (has more VP - regardless of how one acquires VPs in the given game), other players can decide that the player is threatening to win (in this case, by having close to 20 VPs) and do stuff to hinder / hurt / block them... right? Which seems exactly "leader bashing", as I understand the expression.

Or by "bashing" do you mean only removing someone's VPs? Am I missing something? I guess there are many possible nuances and variants of ways to bash a leader...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Schoenheiter
Germany
Bayreuth
Bavaria
flag msg tools
publisher
Also: GameDev&Editor
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with leader bashing is - as far is i would characterize it - that one player receives serious griefing and therefore has diminished fun because he is either hit so hard that his options are reduced significantly or kicked out of the game entirely in games that allow this.

Since here in Theseus during a multiplayer game instead of receiving "wounds" the other player receives VP instead it is of no consequence of who you perceive to be leading. It is always most effective to do maximum damage (as that equals VP) no matter to whom. That way the actual best move at the moment is being rewarded and not the long term best move of elimination of one opponent. (since that isn't possible)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been reviewing the rules quite a bit. The more I read the more I like this game.

The way the units are moved makes me think it would be harder to pick on the leader than I originally thought.

The multiple ways to end the game make it difficult to figure out who the leader is: data, deck exhaustion, health exhaustion.

The traps really cause the other players to think hard about how they will move their units. And players can end up killing themselves with their own moves, which reduces the pick on the leader syndrome.

Great combination of strategy and tactics with minimal setup time (which is actually a big thing at my house).

Count me in, I can't wait to get a copy of this fast paced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally understand all the steps in the walkthrough in the the manual. Wow, simple movements but complex strategy. Yes, this looks great. And Pandora is melting my brain. AWESOME, now how do i convince the wife to play..... Nah baby, this ain't hard, it's just like mancala, you love mancala.

Yeah right just like when I told here chocolate stout tasted like a bar of chocolate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls