29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Good Solo Game That Also Plays Well With Two? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
Microbadge: Level 01 BGG posterMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
Okay, so I'm looking for a game that plays well solo (has much needed variety and fun) but also has a decent 2-player variant (co-op or competitive). Mage Knight and Robinson Crusoe both seem like swell choices, but I'm not so sure I'm ready for either the complexity or the length quite yet. (Unless convinced otherwise..) So what do you recommend? More points for Adventure/Fantasy theme, but not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
Microbadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys and One GirlMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Train Gamer
The games you mentioned were two of the three that I thought of.

The third that I can recommend would be The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

This is designed more as a two player game, but I've found that it also works well for 1 or 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
Hey Adam, thank you. Is the game easy to teach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Dennard
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge: Stitch loves Dancing
I would also suggest the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Despite all the rule threads and questions, it is straightforward, easy to teach, and very fun. It works well solo, paticularly playing with multiple characters, and scales up to 6 people.

Other suggestions: Gears of War, Mice and Mystics, and almost any other co-op game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
Microbadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two Boys and One GirlMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Train Gamer
UnknownAmnesiac wrote:
Hey Adam, thank you. Is the game easy to teach?
Unfortunately, I'm not sure how difficult it would be to teach. I've only played with people that knew how to play, so I can't say for certain. It's definitely not at the level of Mage Knight, but it does have some complexity to it. I don't think it would be too difficult to teach, but there are some nuances to it that are harder to grasp.

Would definitely recommend playing this solo before attempting to teach it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Lamontagne
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: Fear the Boot Podcast fanMicrobadge: Game of ThronesMicrobadge: Dungeon Twister fanMicrobadge: Oolong drinkerMicrobadge: Archipelago fan
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Architects of the West KingdomMicrobadge: Space Race the Card Game fanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!
And the winner is...Ghost Stories.

Board Game: Ghost Stories

Just a great game. I play solo controlling all four monks, although there's an official solo variant where you only control one if you prefer that. It also plays great with 2, 3, or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
If the person you are teaching it to has played any card games before, then it isn't that difficult. Even if they haven't, it is still a pretty easy game to pick up. The game has a pretty extensive turn order which really helps (as long as you walk through all of the steps the first couple of times you play it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you dont mind a long game (since you play Mage Knight I assume you dont) you should take a look at Arkham Horror, although you have to play 2-3 investigators at the same time its worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
Microbadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
If you are looking for an adventure game, Runebound 2e is a good one that plays well solo (with a minor variant) or with 2. Same thing with World of Warcraft the board game (not the adventure game), but that one is a big expensive monster (real fun though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: St Louis Blues fanMicrobadge: Claustrophobia fanMicrobadge: Earth Reborn fanMicrobadge: Core Space fanMicrobadge: Ding & Dent Podcast
As you said Mage Knight and Robinson are excellent choices, although complicated.

For simpler games I recommend:

Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Space Hulk Death Angel the card game
Gears of War (slightly complicated)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
Akden wrote:
I would also suggest the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Despite all the rule threads and questions, it is straightforward, easy to teach, and very fun. It works well solo, paticularly playing with multiple characters, and scales up to 6 people.

Other suggestions: Gears of War, Mice and Mystics, and almost any other co-op game.
Mice and Mystics seems like it might be a little long, but Pathfinder has definitely been on my mind. I am hesitant about the rules being an issue like you said though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
To everyone else thank you and I'll research your suggestions when I get the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
Pouvla wrote:
If you dont mind a long game (since you play Mage Knight I assume you dont) you should take a look at Arkham Horror, although you have to play 2-3 investigators at the same time its worth it
I haven't actually played Mage Knight, sorry if I made it seem that way. Not sure I have the table space or the time for Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
Microbadge: Stardew Valley fanMicrobadge: I print my own components.Microbadge: Shephy fan
I see from your profile you are familiar with Netrunner and MtG. You should have no problem learning Pathfinder. The rules questions are so numerous I think primarily because of its immense popularity.

I'll also recommend Darkest Night if you decide to look into a longer more involved game. I think the rules are pretty simple, but it will take you a while to play an entire game. It is much easier than Arkham Horror though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
Donkler wrote:
I see from your profile you are familiar with Netrunner and MtG. You should have no problem learning Pathfinder. The rules questions are so numerous I think primarily because of its immense popularity.

I'll also recommend Darkest Night if you decide to look into a longer more involved game. I think the rules are pretty simple, but it will take you a while to play an entire game. It is much easier than Arkham Horror though.
I've actually been trying to remember the name of that game, so thanks for reminding me, I'll definitely look into it. Though it does appear pretty lengthy, maybe the simplicity will outweigh that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Saul-Sehy
United States
Texarkana
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: PodcasterMicrobadge: Acquire fanMicrobadge: Long Distance Running fanMicrobadge: Baseball fanMicrobadge: BBQ lover
K2 is very fun solo and plays well with two. Easy rules, lots of tension, and scalable from 1 - 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
Capitaine Grappin wrote:
Have you found this game easy to teach people? It's just right now I'm not seeking anything at the level of A:Netrunner or Mage Wars when it comes to a learning curve...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
Does anyone know if Agricola or Le Havre (Though if I were to get this I might as well just get Mage Knight I suppose) are worth getting primarily for solo play, at least early on until I play with others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Apple userMicrobadge: Atari fanMicrobadge: Color Computer fanMicrobadge: Amiga fan - Make Up Your Own MindMicrobadge: Commodore 64 fan
UnknownAmnesiac wrote:
Does anyone know if Agricola or Le Havre (Though if I were to get this I might as well just get Mage Knight I suppose) are worth getting primarily for solo play, at least early on until I play with others?
I believe so, plus there are solo variants available (SoloPlay) that are different for both games' solitaire rules in the rulebook. So 2 ways to play.

In my opinion though, for solo play, At the Gates of Loyang beats them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
telengard wrote:
UnknownAmnesiac wrote:
I believe so, plus there are solo variants available (SoloPlay) that are different for both games' solitaire rules in the rulebook. So 2 ways to play.

In my opinion though, for solo play, At the Gates of Loyang beats them both.
Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll check that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Moore
Germany
March
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
"Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of fifty-one."
Microbadge: 1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties fanMicrobadge: Paladins of the West Kingdom fanMicrobadge: Barrage fanMicrobadge: Not one step back! Microbadge: Maracaibo fan
It might be worth your while investigating Castaways; it's a little less complex than Robinson Crusoe but seems like a great deal of fun so far.

Also tempted to recommend Legends of Andor; co-op fantasy puzzler which you can play solo with multiple characters.

Simpler still? Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is absolutely excellent; I'd also back the suggestions for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

For something a little different, try Snowdonia or K2.

Failing all that, try Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin or - if you're comfortable playing two hands - my current darling, Shadowrift. I'll play any of these solo or with my wife. They're great either way.

But, yeah, give Mage Knight, Le Havre and Arkham Horror a crack when you're feeling bolder. They're amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
repairmanjack wrote:
It might be worth your while investigating Castaways; it's a little less complex than Robinson Crusoe but seems like a great deal of fun so far.

Also tempted to recommend Legends of Andor; co-op fantasy puzzler which you can play solo with multiple characters.

Simpler still? Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set is absolutely excellent; I'd also back the suggestions for The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game.

For something a little different, try Snowdonia or K2.

Failing all that, try Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin or - if you're comfortable playing two hands - my current darling, Shadowrift. I'll play any of these solo or with my wife. They're great either way.

But, yeah, give Mage Knight, Le Havre and Arkham Horror a crack when you're feeling bolder. They're amazing.
Thanks for the wealth of suggestions. Certainly a lot to sink my teeth in terms of options and variety, so much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
Microbadge: Citrus fanMicrobadge: Lisboa fanMicrobadge: Arkham Noir fanMicrobadge: PAX fanMicrobadge: La Granja fan
Another vote for Darkest Night. My wife and I have recently discovered it and really enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
Cool, thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |