Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Microbadge: I'm part of the best board gaming group on Facebook Microbadge: slickerdrips fanMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Geek of the Week
It’s truckin’ time again folks. And this time, it’s a mini-expansion. So mini in fact that this expansion will not even have a box! This is because the expansion contains the rulebook and then 10 double-sided space ship boards, two for each of up to 5 players.

The first board contains the class 1C & 2C on one side, and half of the class 4C on the other.
The second board contains the class 3C ship on one side and the other half of the class 4C ship.

In this preview, I’m going to cover the class 1C and 2C ships.

From gallery of PaulGrogan

Classes IC and IIC were originally designed for sectors where the fabric of space-time is unstable. These ships create a space-time warp field that is so twisted you won’t even notice the sector’s mild anomalies. Yeah right! Who are you kidding!

Ship Classes IC and IIC are on the ship board. These rules apply to both classes. The only difference is that the orange squares are part of Class IIC ships, but not
Class IC ships. For a Level I flight, use Class IC and treat the orange squares as though they were not on your ship board. For a Level II flight, use Class IIC and treat the orange squares like any other square on your ship board.

Ship Building
As usual, each piece you add must join to the others. However, a trans-dimensional splice runs down the center of your ship and as you no-doubt learned in grade school, trans-dimensional splices create instability in the space-time continuum. What this means for you is that the connectors across the trans-dimensional splice must match exactly. A universal connector can join only with another universal connector.

You will also notice that there is no central ship cabin on this ship. When you are setting up for building, put your pilot cabin in the place where you set components aside. It works like any other component in your discard pile and can be added to your space ship at any time during building. You begin building with an empty ship board. So your first component can go anywhere. Your first component can be your pilot cabin, but it can also be one that you drew.

Space Flight
The trans-dimensional splice gives the space around your ship an interesting topology. By “interesting” we mean “deadly”, as you will discover if anything attacks your ship. (The following rules apply to meteors, cannon fire, and intruders from the second big expansion.)

If anything comes at you from the front, roll a die. Anything from 2 to 5 results in an attack on the corresponding column as normal, but a 1 or 6 turns the attack into an attack from the side.
Attacks from the side (normal side attacks and trans-dimensional splice re-routed attacks), that roll a 3 or 4 mean that the trans-dimensional splice has duplicated the attack so that it hits both indicated rows at the same time.

- The rulebook covers this in a lot more detail, including an explanation of what happens when a commando gets duplicated and then both of them return home to his (their) wife!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: I'd rather be playing boardgames!Microbadge: Ghost Stories fanMicrobadge: Vlaada Chvátil fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
PaulGrogan wrote:

- The rulebook covers this in a lot more detail, including an explanation of what happens when a commando gets duplicated and then both of them return home to his (their) wife!
Well, I'm glad that attention has been paid to the important questions, at least. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Babylon 5 fanMicrobadge: Level 15 BGG posterMicrobadge: Doctor Who fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Golden Meeple
Boscrossos wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

Well, I'm glad that attention has been paid to the important questions, at least.
Can't wait for doubled double-commandos to utterly destroy my ship in a single go. [No doubt they got there via the Hazardous Sectors.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez Overton
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Android: Netrunner LCG fanMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: One Night Ultimate Werewolf fanMicrobadge: Galaxy Trucker fan
PaulGrogan wrote:
So mini in fact that this expansion will not even have a box!
Ah well, there goes my attempts to fit everything in the original game box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls