Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I remembered reading a rule that a monster at a location prevents the investigator from having an encounter at that location, but can't find that in the rules or FAQ now. Did I just dream that?

Example: Investigator ends his movement on location space with monster, successfully evades monster (or is unsuccessful and takes damage), so investigator and monster are still together during Arkham Encounters phase. Does the investigator still have a location encounter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Gate at your location during Encounters prevents you from drawing an Encounter there; a Monster does not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJGryph wrote:
I thought I remembered reading a rule that a monster at a location prevents the investigator from having an encounter at that location, but can't find that in the rules or FAQ now. Did I just dream that?

Example: Investigator ends his movement on location space with monster, successfully evades monster (or is unsuccessful and takes damage), so investigator and monster are still together during Arkham Encounters phase. Does the investigator still have a location encounter?
Gates have that effect, but not Monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the contrary. Depending on how you want to define "encounter", they guarantee it! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mazanec
Mexico
Ajijic
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJGryph wrote:
[...]

(Emphasis added)

Yah, I'm weeks late and I've nothing to add re: the main question...but to make sure the example doesn't mislead or confuse on another point: if an evade fails, the Investigator takes damage and combat ensues/continues. I think the only way both Investigator and monster can still be present in the Arkahm Encounter phase is if there was a successful evade check to end the combat (at least in the base -- haven't played any of the expansions yet).

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DJGryph wrote:
The monster will still be around during the Encounter phase if you fail the fight check but it doesn't do enough combat damage to knock you unconscious.

This is not correct. If the monster does not do enough damage to knock you unconscious, a new round of combat occurs at once. You must either evade or fight the monster again until there is a resolution; only if you successfully evade will the monster still be present at the Encounter Phase.

(There is one odd case for Michael McGlen fighting a monster that only does one damage, has a Toughness higher than Michael's Combat, and which has an Awareness greater than or equal to his Stealth, presuming he either has no clue tokens or decides not to use them. The combat enters an infinite loop, and Michael is driven insane.)

Edit... interesting... coming off Daylight savings Time has placed my response earlier than the post I was commenting on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The monster will still be around during the Encounter phase if you fail the fight check but it doesn't do enough combat damage to knock you unconscious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Edit... interesting... coming off Daylight savings Time has placed my response earlier than the post I was commenting on...

*cue Twilight Zone theme* goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJGryph wrote:
I'm afraid not. Radulla has the right of it: combat continues once started until either one of you is defeated or you successfully Flee by making a successful Evade check. If the Monster has Ambush, you may not Flee. The only way for the two of you to be present after your Phase II is if the Monster moves into your location after your Phase II, or you make a successful Evade check (either as a normal Evade or as part of a Flee). One other possibility is if the Phase II in question is the one during which you Returned to Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffin
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that's right. I've been playing wrong. No big surprise there.

It's also possible to end up on a location with a monster after returning to Arkham from a gate though, as well as location encounters that move you to other locations. I read a thread recently regarding the latter and whether you have to fight those monsters but I've already forgotten what the ruling was. I *believe* you don't, since the rules/FAQ seem clear that monsters are only dealt with during the Movement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJGryph wrote:
Ah, that's right. I've been playing wrong. No big surprise there.

It's also possible to end up on a location with a monster after returning to Arkham from a gate though,.
I know, that's why I included that possibility in my last sentence.
Quote:
as well as location encounters that move you to other locations. I read a thread recently regarding the latter and whether you have to fight those monsters but I've already forgotten what the ruling was. I *believe* you don't, since the rules/FAQ seem clear that monsters are only dealt with during the Movement phase.
good call, that's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.