Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Do you prefer PBF games of "A Game of Thrones" with Ravens or No Ravens?
Ravens!
No Ravens!
      31 answers
Poll created by manutd03

Tell us why!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts:

The game relies on secret negotiations and, of course, backstabbing at the appropriate time. Therefore, it's more fun for the player conversations to be secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger 19
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Backstabbing is much more spectacular when everybody see that you lied before
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ru
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I vote Ravens.

Ravens allow for much more strategic cooperation and add an extra layer of strategy and deceit. Playing without Ravens often means you have to shout your strategy out loud if you want to cooperate with someone in a combined attack on another. This makes it a lot more difficult to cooperate successfully.

The downside is that PBF games with Ravens are often very slow, as every decision (whether it is an Iron Throne bid or how to resolve a march) can take several days, as people send Ravens back and forth while playing from different time zones.

Still, the extra layer of strategy and deceit makes it worth it, in my opinion .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
No ravens because I never play a raven game in real life. Games take long enough without going into a separate room to talk strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ken carson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Having played one of each, I prefer no ravens. In Westeros, every house has a spy in every other house, so communication may as well be public, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amin
Canada
flag msg tools
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't sending private messages to each other, why are you even playing PBEM? (or in this case the poorer cousin, PBF).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
www.evanswhanau.co.nz
badge
...always a sliver of hope.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the compromise in place in our current game - PBF#112.

Ravens are through the mod, and are limited to three per house per round. Each raven is then exposed to a die roll - 1d12 - to determine if it is seen leaving, seen arriving, shot down, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dave
msg tools
I stick to my opinion mentioned here.

Although in every game without ravens, I wish I could send one or two. But do you guys really need more?

So a limited amount of available ravens, similar to what Paul Evans described, seems to minimize most of the downsides I see with ravens and actually makes me want to try it again.

Sabzevarian wrote:
If you aren't sending private messages to each other, why are you even playing PBEM? (or in this case the poorer cousin, PBF).
For me it is, because I enjoy the setting and the game.
In a PBF there is much more time for fancy talk, and I only very seldomly manage to get 5 people to play this game with me. Obviously I have no friends :'(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Read
United Kingdom
Ipswich
England
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like the rule we used in my first PBF, #72, that said you can send ravens but you have to post that you are sending it and who you are sending it to in the thread. Actually, OP was in #93 where I used that rule so she can mention what she thought of that if she wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozelot wrote:
I like the rule we used in my first PBF, #72, that said you can send ravens but you have to post that you are sending it and who you are sending it to in the thread. Actually, OP was in #93 where I used that rule so she can mention what she thought of that if she wants.
I thought that posting 'who is sending ravens to whom' is a good way to work that rule. Then you know which players might be conspiring...although I occasionally used ravens to just send straight-up threats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls