BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: My collection is growing, but what great games am I missing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peace Chaser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Hello BGG friends. A generous pal hooked me up with a big amazon gift card and it should be enough for 2-3 games.

I have many of the top strategy games listed at BGG, but I'm looking for more.

My Favorites:
Through the Ages
Eclipse
Merchants and Marauders

Full list:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/PeaceChaser?own...

I've tried to play some cooperative games with my wife, but each one we have (Elder Signs, Mice and Mystics, and Forbidden Island) each were only played once. I'm not sure if it's that we don't like coop, or we just haven't played one we like yet.

I tend to like complex, involved, balanced, epic strategy games, I'm open to those kinds of suggestions also. Or suggestions that round out our collection with game genres we don't already have (card games, dice games, etc).

Thanks BGG community!

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really see a deck builder in your collection. There are many out there. Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) is one I can vouch for. I think Core Worlds looks very promising as I've read very positive things about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) is the obvious choice, for someone with your tastes. Also, the Eclipse expansion is pretty much a must-buy, if you're a fan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peace Chaser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks! I wanted a space-themed deck builder and I bought Eminent Domain. I like it, but later I played Core Worlds. Also a very good game.

I think I will get puzzle strike. Why is it so expensive on amazon though? :-/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Ron
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd like a card I would suggest Race for the Galaxy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peace Chaser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Twilight Imperium would absolutely be an obvious choice for me. Thanks!

Problem is, my friends meetup group doesn't seem to like to sit down for an epic strategy game of *that* length, but my wife would. However, being 3+ players means it would probably collect dust

I'm putting it back on my *want* list anyway. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike is an excellent game. IMO, don't even worry about the Shadows expansion, just play the base game. It's fun and replayable enough! Also, make sure you get the THIRD edition. It will say so on the box. It comes with player mats and player screens, so if you open your box and don't see them, you have the wrong version. The Third edition rebalanced the heck out of the game into perfection

Btw, small but excellent collection you've got!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Hoffman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you like Agricola, I think you should give Le Havre a shot, it is a great resource management game, with lots of various ways to win.

You might also give Space Empires: 4X, and Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) a shot as well, both are pretty epic with a tech tree, area control, and epic space battles. Although, Space Empires is a shorter game than Twilight Imperium 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Railways of the World]Railways of the World looks like it would be right up your alley. Railways of the World is one of my favorites and from looking at your list, we have similar taste in games.

Dominant Speciesis another heavy euro with a fair bit of player interaction.

CO2 is another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Space Empires: 4X is a great suggestion. Give it a go
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PeaceChaser wrote:

I tend to like complex, involved, balanced, epic strategy games..."
Peace
Here you go: Dominant Species

As far as rounding out your collection, I think Brass: Lancashire would be a great choice. If you're only going to play it with your wife, you'll want to print out the two-player variant board (works great).

Continuing with Martin Wallace games, check out either Railways of the World or Steam.

You have a distinct lack of Reiner Knizia games in your collection. Tigris & Euphrates holds up very well and sounds like something you'd be interested in. At the very least, check out Battle Line, it can be a real brain burner.

Stefan Feld is currently all the rage right now, start with The Castles of Burgundy and go from there.

Edit: Rkik above beat me to it as I took too long to post this. His C02 recommendation is a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Empire of the Sun fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
Quote:
I've tried to play some cooperative games with my wife, but each one we have (Elder Signs, Mice and Mystics, and Forbidden Island) each were only played once. I'm not sure if it's that we don't like coop, or we just haven't played one we like yet.
Try Robinson Crusoe: If you don't like that then co-op is probably not for you.

Since your favorite is a Vlaada Chavatil game (through the ages) and you own Galaxy Trucker, perhaps check out his other stuff like Dungeon Lords, Dungeon Petz, and Mage Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Railways of the World. It's an excellent game and it comes with a bonus Mexico map as well, so if you just want to play with your wife, you have a more manageable map for two players.

If you're going for a deck builder, I would recommend Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game over Puzzle Strike. It seems like you're interested in theme. I think the theme in Legendary is a bit more easy to grasp than Puzzle Strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peace Chaser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I very much want Robinson Crusoe. I saw it at a convention but it sold out before I could get my hands on it. Now it's over $100.00 on amazon. I don't understand why price fluctuates so much. Can I expect that one to come down do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peace Chaser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I just traded my Gearworld for Dungeon Lords. It's in the mail. My wife spefically hunts for Vlaada Chavatil games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeaceChaser wrote:
I tend to like complex, involved, balanced, epic strategy games
Maybe War of the Ring?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
A fun (and incredibly dangerous) path you could take is exploring the big, wide world of card games. Stuffs like Innovation, Android: Netrunner, and one of my personal favs pack an incredible amount of strategy and crunchy decision-making into a 30-minute session.

Another avenue to explore would be tile-laying games. Three of my favorites are Neuroshima Hex! 3.0, Carcassonne, and Taluva.

I saw you like Vlaada games. My favorite by a country mile is Dungeon Petz.

Or you can always lose yourself in abstracts. Start with GIPF Project and branch out from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McClure
United States
Fowler
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you have a great collection.

I am a big fan of Edo Worker Placement with some great twists to it. Multiple paths to victory, and the ability to "buy" new abilities is very cool.

You also seem to have a Feld Deficiency. Since you like the classics, I'd say Notre Dame would be a good start.

However since you like complexity, Bora Bora has a lot going for it in terms of complexity, and this one has a good amount of interaction to boot. Lots of competition for torn order and resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bigmike
United States
Snellville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower Yedo Lords of Waterdeep

Cant go wrong with these three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Current price for robinson crusoe on amazon is too high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Me saying this makes me a giant hypocrite, but...

DO NOT fall into the trap of "my collection is just missing _____ now!" It is an endless spiral from which your wallet and your free space (and time) will never escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
PeaceChaser wrote:
I tend to like complex, involved, balanced, epic strategy games
PeaceChaser wrote:
My wife spefically hunts for Vlaada Chavatil games.
Mage Knight seems like an obvious suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls