flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NBN Never Advance - Credit Denial

NBN: Making News (Core Set)

Agenda (11)

3x AstroScript Pilot Program (Core Set)
2x Breaking News (Core Set)
2x Character Assassination (Opening Moves)
1x Private Security Force (Core Set)
3x Project Beale (Future Proof)

Asset (10)

3x Jackson Howard (Opening Moves)
2x Marked Accounts (Cyber Exodus)
2x PAD Campaign (Core Set)
3x Private Contracts (Cyber Exodus)

Upgrade (2)

2x SanSan City Grid (Core Set)

Operation (9)

2x Closed Accounts (Core Set)
3x Hedge Fund (Core Set)
2x Invasion of Privacy (Opening Moves)
1x Scorched Earth (Core Set) ••••
1x SEA Source (Core Set)

Barrier (4)

1x Eli 1.0 (Future Proof)
2x Ice Wall (Core Set) ••
1x Wall of Static (Core Set)

Code Gate (7)

1x Chum (Core Set)
3x Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus)
1x Tollbooth (Core Set)
2x Viper (Cyber Exodus) ••

Sentry (6)

2x Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) ••••
2x Data Raven (Core Set)
1x Flare (Future Proof)
1x Rototurret (Core Set)

This is a reaction to how my NBN performed at plugged in- what cards were amazing and what cards were merely decent.

As is unsurprising, Kate and Andy were heavy in the meta. NBN does well against Kate, but criminal is still an issue. This deck attempts to resolve that.

Work Compression is an idea that is bigger than just Jinteki. This revolves around compression of credits, not cards.

Work Compression, put simply, is about taking advantage of tempo swings. You give up small amounts of tempo over a long period to gain a large amount of tempo all at once.

The idea is the same - drip in threats over a long period of time and use them all at once. Drop an ice on a remote one turn, and gain money, drop sansan the next turn, and gain money, drop an agenda combined with invasion of privacy, or closed accounts/scorched earth if tagged. Thats a simple example, but there are many variants on the same idea possible with the deck.

Dont be afraid to use the scorched earth even if they have plascrete installed. Jackson could get your scorched back, and they will likely install a second plascrete if they cant remove tags, which is a tempo win for you.

The economy is standard never advance fare - high trash cost assets.

Closed accounts or Invasion of privacy to sweep spoiler events like Inside Job, account siphon, and stimhack at key moments to set yourself up for an agenda score.

Invasion of privacy + scorched earth is a potential kill combo. Mostly the single Scorched is an opportunistic card - its hard not to justify a singleton when it will occasionally win you the game.

Testing has been promising - it has a decent amount of surprise factor to it, and is very consistant, mostly thanks to howard jackson. I'd like to work in 1-2 more ice, but that will likely mean cutting assets. The Operation set in this deck has been killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beepers wrote:
Red Herring

I appreciate your brevity. :)

Yeah, seems like it would be a good include. Great card to squeak out an agenda early. Probably worth testing. Have to figure what to cut.

Plus upgrades rock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
:/

How are you getting tags to stick? Cause, I see a single sea source and data raven. In my environment people don't run through data raven unless they can clear the tag before eot.

I guess the two breaking news? :/ Still, you've got very little time to make use of those tags.

I just get the sense that there are better ways to make this work. Ghost Branch/Big Brother/Bernice/Mid Seasons.

Ice mix seems very weighted to the 3/4 strength region. Lack of atman in your meta?

EDIT: That said, having played similar decks, I'm fairly sure its strong regardless. The lack of any other non-sanSan fast advance isn't my style...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number 1 way tags stick is account siphon, honestly. Or players that ignore tags running through data raven. But yeah, sea source or breaking news are options as well.

Atman isnt much of an issue - its rather slow, and I have a good spread of ice strengths.

Ghost branch doesnt work in never advance. Big Brother doesnt give tags if they arent already tagged. Bernice is a decent choice, and I've considered swapping the Sea source for midseasons.

In my six games during plugged in, I had 4 runners end up with more than four tags at the end of the game. And i wasnt even running a single sea source, midseason, or bernice in that iteration of the deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Right, I've seen players tag themselves Masanori/Account Siphon; But that only works if your entire meta is criminal... I'm unconvinced that the ice is strong against atman, or that atman is always slow; but, oh well. If its working for you its working.

I've just had more success loading up on FA pieces (2 SanSan/2 Psycho/3 TOL) and using cards like ghost branch to timewalk. It's always interesting watching other strategies... I just can't shake the feeling that your ice become a great weakness over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Saan wrote:
The number 1 way tags stick is account siphon, honestly. Or players that ignore tags running through data raven. But yeah, sea source or breaking news are options as well.

I find the Data Raven Power Counter to be the most reliable way to get a tag to stick. Once the Runner knows you can tag him at any time, he stops caring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Saan wrote:

I find the Data Raven Power Counter to be the most reliable way to get a tag to stick. Once the Runner knows you can tag him at any time, he stops caring.

Yeah. Lets be honest here - keeping tags is usually not dangerous in the current meta. Everybody runs plascrete, and decks that ignore tags can ROLL many nbn decks unless you get a good draw.

Its not about my entire meta being criminal - its that the only time i lose as NBN is versus criminal. I went 4 and 2 on sunday with never advance - I won against 4 shaper decks (2 kate/atman, 1 aggro kate, and 1 aggro CT) and lost to andromeda twice.

This deck still can screw shaper pretty well - Character assassination is brutal to atman decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Why do you lose to Criminal? What specifically is happening?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gumOnShoe wrote:

Account siphon and Inside Job. Fixed breaker suite + datasucker. The standard stuff you see out of andromeda. Basically, the things that make criminal good. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish Noren
msg tools
mbmb
Saan wrote:
gumOnShoe wrote:

Account siphon and Inside Job. Fixed breaker suite + datasucker. The standard stuff you see out of andromeda. Basically, the things that make criminal good.

That's what I thought. You might consider a fast advance strategy with less ice. At the very least, if they are tagging themselves Psychographics is a possibility.

That's specifically the situation where TOL shines: Banking credits on an ice wall so that the corp can keep you broke but you're still really winning. With Jackson I play TOL 4 times a game sometimes, never really needing more than 2 credits in my pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palpster
Netherlands
Nunspeet
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This deck seems to do a lot of things, but focuses on none of them. A single Scorched Earth isn't gonna do you any good most of the time. There's a little bit of tagging, but not enough nor enough punishment for when they do get tagged. Even the agenda choice isn't focused. Either go for the trashing using Character Assassination x3 or go for tag punishment and use PSF x3. There's 2 SanSan's in there, but that's about it for Fast Advance. I think this deck would perform better when focused on a main goal you're trying to accomplish.

That's not to say it's a bad deck. It will probably win it's fair share of games, but I feel it could be better with focus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palpster wrote:
This deck seems to do a lot of things, but focuses on none of them. A single Scorched Earth isn't gonna do you any good most of the time. There's a little bit of tagging, but not enough nor enough punishment for when they do get tagged. Even the agenda choice isn't focused. Either go for the trashing using Character Assassination x3 or go for tag punishment and use PSF x3. There's 2 SanSan's in there, but that's about it for Fast Advance. I think this deck would perform better when focused on a main goal you're trying to accomplish.

That's not to say it's a bad deck. It will probably win it's fair share of games, but I feel it could be better with focus.

Maybe I should clarify what it does do, as it does have a major focus which might not be obvious. Ive been playing VERY similar decks for a good number of months. Never Advance. There is a great thread on this archetype in the strategy subforum, but I'll summarize here:

Never advance is about installing cards in remotes, not advancing them on the same turn.

On the next turn, you score it by triple advancing. You play all of your agendas that way, so that way your agendas look like everything else in your deck - Assets you play into the remote one turn and do nothing with them until the next turn. Melange, marked Accounts, SanSan, Pad, Bernice, Snare, edge of world, private contracts, or agenda - the runner wont know what is in the remote until they run it. And if they wait a turn, its too late.

This lets you force the runner into running remotes with regularity, which is a constant drain on their credits. Usually, they'll just see a private contracts or something they wont want to trash or cant trash. If they do trash it, its easy to use that to your advantage.

Thats the goal here - You generally only score agendas out of hand when you are on match point. Usually you 'never advance' them. Install one turn, score the next. This is what sansan and astroscript are for - either pushing out the agenda that will win you the game, or scoring your 4 point agendas 'never advance' style.

It doesnt NEED sansan, but it fits with the archetype well because its a high trash cost upgrade that the runner must deal with. Keeping the runner poor is the object of every card in the deck. I wont go through each card, but I think you'll understand if you look at it with that in mind. Operations that trash resources, events and credits, closed accounts, and lots of high trash cost threats. Even the scorched earth, forcing them to play a second plascrete (or possibly getting a kill if you are lucky, but thats not the point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Ødegård
Norway
Høvik
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saan wrote:

Account siphon and Inside Job. Fixed breaker suite + datasucker. The standard stuff you see out of andromeda. Basically, the things that make criminal good.

As an aside, I find it fascinating that one of the things that makes Criminal a powerhouse faction is 100% imported from Anarchs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
Saan wrote:
Dont be afraid to use the scorched earth even if they have plascrete installed.

I usually throw away cards first, and only power counters when I’m at 0 cards. (Which A. might be what you want as corp, I don’t know, and B, I just realized, puts me at risk for Neural EMP.)

Which is fine, and is prudent to some degree. But its a win-win either way, I think. Its using up almost an entire turn of drawing for a single action from myself. That gives me the window needed to score an agenda down the road.

Thats the idea, anyway. I know it works with closed accounts and invasion of privacy, but the principle is the same. You are looking to create windows that allow you to get to 4 or 5 points. Once you are there, the deck almost cant lose, especially if you have an AsPP token, sansan, or closed accounts ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse M
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I like the addition of Invasion of privacy if you're running Scorched.

Also really good against criminal for obvious reasons. I like it better than freelancer since it deals with a more difficult archetype for Never Advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.