Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If I have to discard a card to either damage or an ability (such as Seoni's automatic spell), am I allowed to recharge the card if I'm able to (such as discarding a spell with Seoni or a weapon with Valeros, or any card with a recharge text)? Or only when I'm actually playing the card for its effect?

2. If I have a card like the Guide that allows me to add to a perception check, and I don't have perception on my character sheet, can I use the card at all or is it useless for me? As far as I can tell from the rules it's useless, but it doesn't make sense if, for example, Seoni has a guide she can't use in her recommended deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No you can not recharge cards from damage or that power abilities.

2) You can use guide, but you would have to use a d4 is the base skill.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re question no. 1, from the FAQ:

Quote:
I have a power that lets me discard a card to trigger an effect. If I discard a spell, can I recharge it?

You may only recharge cards that you play; playing involves triggering an effect on that card, not on some other card.

Resolution: On page 10 of the rulebook, under "Playing Cards," change the following:

"Playing a card means activating a card's power by revealing, displaying, discarding, recharging, burying, or banishing the card."
to
"Playing a card means activating that card's power by revealing, displaying, discarding, recharging, burying, or banishing that card. Doing something with a card that does not activate that card's power does not count as playing that card. For example, if Kyra discards a spell to activate her healing power, it doesn't count as playing that spell (meaning she also can't recharge it)."
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks for the FAQ link, I didn't know one was posted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
1) No you can not recharge cards from damage or that power abilities.

2) You can use guide, but you would have to use a d4 is the base skill.


Can someone point out where this is explicitly stated or expand on this point? Here is my situation: i have a wisdom oerception check, but no perception, however i do have the dog in my hand. The way my husband and i read the rulebook, first you have to pick which trait you use, then play any cards to add dice etc. however, the rulebook states on page 11 that i can only roll the 1d4 for perception if i dont have -any- of the skills listed. Since i do have wisdom, i must use my wisdom die, therefore i cannot recharge the dog for the bonus.

I am fine with that ruling, but it seems that it makes cards that only affect specialized skills almost entirely useless, because almost all checks include one of the standard 6 attributes. Why on earth would i want to keep the dog in my hand for the maybe one or two cards i might run into where i could use it? Even if i had perception, the fact that i have it implies that its probably based off one of my stronger traits and gives bonus points, so i already have a more comfortable margin over, say, valeros or seoni who might want the extra die. Wouldnt i be better off with a card that increases a primary trait? It would be more flexible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
youperguy wrote:
1) No you can not recharge cards from damage or that power abilities.

2) You can use guide, but you would have to use a d4 is the base skill.


Can someone point out where this is explicitly stated or expand on this point? Here is my situation: i have a wisdom oerception check, but no perception, however i do have the dog in my hand. The way my husband and i read the rulebook, first you have to pick which trait you use, then play any cards to add dice etc. however, the rulebook states on page 11 that i can only roll the 1d4 for perception if i dont have -any- of the skills listed. Since i do have wisdom, i must use my wisdom die, therefore i cannot recharge the dog for the bonus.

I am fine with that ruling, but it seems that it makes cards that only affect specialized skills almost entirely useless, because almost all checks include one of the standard 6 attributes. Why on earth would i want to keep the dog in my hand for the maybe one or two cards i might run into where i could use it? Even if i had perception, the fact that i have it implies that its probably based off one of my stronger traits and gives bonus points, so i already have a more comfortable margin over, say, valeros or seoni who might want the extra die. Wouldnt i be better off with a card that increases a primary trait? It would be more flexible.


The first thing to to is completely FORGET about any "linkage" between a basic skill like Wisdom and a specific skill like Perception. It doesn't exist in game terms. All specific skills are character dependant and can be based on any number of basic skills (e.d Ezren's Arcane is based on Intelligence, while Lem's is based on Charisma.)

So, if you DO NOT see a specific skill listed on your character card you roll a 1d4. That's all there is to it. If your character doesn't have Perception, roll 1d4. So, if a card allows you to roll an additional "Perception die" you would roll 2d4. Or, if a card allows you to add a specific die roll you would add that to your 1d4. Guard allows you to add 1d6 to your Perception, so that would be (1d4 + 1d6).

The other thing to be aware of is if a challenge asks for a roll of something like Intelligence / Arcane 8 it's really asking for Intelligence OR Arcane. If you have the Arcane skill it's probably better than your raw Intelligence skill, but not necessarily. Pick whichever would be best. Again, for Ezren those two skills are linked, but for Lem they are not.

Cards that affect specialized skills are certainly more circumstantial. They tend to be stronger for characters who already have the specialized skill, so you may not be inclined to keep them if your character doesn't have the applicable skill. These cards will generally have other effects, though, that may counter balance this issue. Dog actually a pretty strong card as he adds 1d10 to your perception, which is pretty great. Even if you are just rolling (1d4 + 1d10), that's a HUGE increase in your potential roll. Plus he can be discarded for another explore. Plus he's an animal, which is huge if you're playing Lini.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that the specialized skills arent directly linked to a base trait and that not all characters with Perception will have it listed under the same base trait, but again, on page 11 on the rules, it says that the first thing i do is decide which of the listed traits i am going to roll for. In my example, I choose between wisdom or perception. BUT it states that if i dont actually have perception, i cannot choose to roll the 1d4 for perception, since i do have wisdom. Only after choosing which trait i am rolling for can i play cards that affect the roll. The only way i can roll the 1d4 for perception is if the check on the card listed -only- perception. Since i cant choose to roll for perception i cant play the dog.

Yeah. If i was lini, this whole Example is dumb. I would obviously like the dog b/c its an animal. I should have used the night watch in the example instead of the dog.

Is there something in the faqs or errata im missing that say i can choose to roll a 1d4 for a skill i dont have over a skill i do have, if both are listed on the check?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see that you are required to use a particular skill if you have it. I'm looking at the section and it says, "'Check to Defeat' or 'Check to Acquire' are followed by one or more skills; you may use any of the skills listed for your check." Later in that section is says, "If your character doesn't have any of the skills listed for a check, you may still attempt the check, but your die is a d4. You may use a skill that isn't listed on your character card only if another card gives your character that skill."

Going back to the dog, when it says it is adding 1d10 to your Perception check, it is giving you a Perception check. If you do not have a Perception skill of you own, your base die is 1d4. What you couldn't do is use Blessing to give you an additional 1d4 to a Perception check, since the blessing card doesn't give you a Perception check.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
I don't see that you are required to use a particular skill if you have it. I'm looking at the section and it says, "'Check to Defeat' or 'Check to Acquire' are followed by one or more skills; you may use any of the skills listed for your check." Later in that section is says, "If your character doesn't have any of the skills listed for a check, you may still attempt the check, but your die is a d4. You may use a skill that isn't listed on your character card on if another card gives your character that skill."

Going back to the dog, when it says it is adding 1d10 to your Perception check, it is giving you a Perception check. If you do not have a Perception skill of you own, your base die is 1d4. What you couldn't do is use Blessing to give you an additional 1d4 to a Perception check, since the blessing card doesn't give you a Perception check.


what is hanging me up is the line "if your character doesnt have any of the skills listed you may still attempt the check with a d4." that implies to me that sp long as i have at least one of the skills listed, i should choose among the ones i have In my example, there are only two listed, of which I only have one, therefore, I have to choose that one. If it instead listed dexterity disable strength melee and I didn't have disable or melee, I could choose between dex or strength.

I guess my question is whether the dog _gives_ you the perception skill. I don't think it does. Going to the FAQ, there is a question on whether using a weapon with a ranged trait allows you to use the archer on the check if you don't have the ranged skill. This implies the archer does NOT give you the ranged skill. since the dog and the archer are worded nearly identically save for the type of check and the die, why would the dog give you perception and the archer not give you ranged?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Um . . . you know, that's a good point. The only answer I can give is practical. It just seems "obvious" to me that anyone can have some level of perception, even if you are completely thick. Whereas no one has an innate ranged attack without having something to grant it (even if it's just your base character card). But you're right, the rules would tend to suggest that you wouldn't get a Perception skill from a dog any more than you would a Ranged skill from an Archer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably, if anything asked you to make a ranged skill check, you could use the archer even if you don't have a ranged skill on your character.

Problem is, I don't think there are any cards that ask for a ranged skill check, only a combat check, and you play cards that let you use your skills in place of "combat".

I'm wondering just what would happen and if anything would break if the rules were changed to say something along the lines of, your check gains whatever attributes the check calls for, even if you don't normally have them. For example, if you don't have perception but are asked to make a "Wisdom or Perception check" (either because the box on the right side of the card lists both Wisdom and Perception for the check, or the card text lists both of them, such as when closing the Woods location), you can pick to use Wisdom, and then since it's a "Wisdom and Perception" check, you can use a card that enhances a perception check (like the dog) to add to it. That seems like it would make the most sense to me, but I'm not sure if there's anything else that would need to change to accommodate it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... good points. I'm going to have to think about this more and get back to it. Right now, I'm what I am going with is that I can't use the dog for an additional 1d10 for a wisdom/perception check if I choose to check against wisdom. Alternatively, I could not use the Sage to add a die to a wisdom/perception check if I choose to check against Perception. I think I have actually been overvaluing cards like the Sage that add to the basic skill rolls.

On a somewhat related note, I've not had a similar concern with playing something like the potion of glibness that would allow me to automatically succeed at a Diplomacy check. I can't think of a reason why using the potion of glibness would allow you to pass a diplo check if you don't have that skill, but the dog could not help you pass the perception check if you don't have that skill.

I guess our group will probably just make a decision on what we think seems most logical.

EDIT: actually, mike clarified in another thread waaaay back that that i could play the sage to add a die to a perception check if i had perception and it was based off my wisdom skill. I still would not be able to do so if i did not have perception listed on my card or it was based off something ither than wisdom ( or intelligence...i dont have the card in front of me, but i think it says to add a d6 to a wisdom or int check) .


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm pretty sure the cards are supposed to help even if you don't have the skill, as otherwise the "suggested" decks make no sense at all. FOr instance, Seoni's suggested deck includes the Guide, for instance, which only adds to Survival and can be discarded for another explore - the second part is still useful, but there's other allies that have thesame ability and more useful "main" abilities.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really surprised more people haven't chimed in on this discussion. I still think I'm right - that you can use a d4 if you don't have a specific skill. The best evidence I can find is this:

Some-Thoughts-After-1500-Pathfinder-ACG-Threads wrote:
7. Skills and dice are not the same. This game frequently asks you to roll a “Strength check” or a “Perception check.” That’s a simple concept that has some complexity to it. When you have a skill, you roll that skill’s die plus any bonuses listed by that skill; if you don’t have the skill, you roll a d4. But when a card gives you another die of that skill (the same size as you get from the skill), that’s all it gives you. You don’t get your bonuses again. You don’t get the skill associated with that die. You don’t get the ability to recharge a spell that requires the Arcane skill if you don’t have it. You don’t get the ability to play a Blessing of Gorum for 2 dice on your Longbow, because you’re not making a Strength check. You just get a die.


It comes from Mike's summary of faqs. It basically reiterates that you can use a d4 if you don't have the appropriate skill with out any additional comment about steps you need to take to be allowed to make the check.

In thinking more about it, this is actually different than the archer example where the discussion was whether or not to apply the trait of ranged to a combat check. (If you refer back to the Archer card you will see that it reads "Recharge this card to add 1d4 to a Ranged combat check.") So that discussion was about how and when to apply traits to a check, not what check you are rolling. We're kind of discussing apples and oranges. So, I personally am quite confident that it is appropriate to use the dog to add 1d10 to your default 1d4 Perception check.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
I'm really surprised more people haven't chimed in on this discussion. I still think I'm right - that you can use a d4 if you don't have a specific skill. The best evidence I can find is this:

Some-Thoughts-After-1500-Pathfinder-ACG-Threads wrote:
7. Skills and dice are not the same. This game frequently asks you to roll a “Strength check” or a “Perception check.” That’s a simple concept that has some complexity to it. When you have a skill, you roll that skill’s die plus any bonuses listed by that skill; if you don’t have the skill, you roll a d4. But when a card gives you another die of that skill (the same size as you get from the skill), that’s all it gives you. You don’t get your bonuses again. You don’t get the skill associated with that die. You don’t get the ability to recharge a spell that requires the Arcane skill if you don’t have it. You don’t get the ability to play a Blessing of Gorum for 2 dice on your Longbow, because you’re not making a Strength check. You just get a die.


It comes from Mike's summary of faqs. It basically reiterates that you can use a d4 if you don't have the appropriate skill with out any additional comment about steps you need to take to be allowed to make the check.

In thinking more about it, this is actually different than the archer example where the discussion was whether or not to apply the trait of ranged to a combat check. (If you refer back to the Archer card you will see that it reads "Recharge this card to add 1d4 to a Ranged combat check.") So that discussion was about how and when to apply traits to a check, not what check you are rolling. We're kind of discussing apples and oranges. So, I personally am quite confident that it is appropriate to use the dog to add 1d10 to your default 1d4 Perception check.

You DO get to use a d4 if you don't have the skill.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
spbtc wrote:
I'm really surprised more people haven't chimed in on this discussion.

True, maybe because you and the other posters are doing a fine job at supplying the answers
slaybalj wrote:
what is hanging me up is the line "if your character doesnt have any of the skills listed you may still attempt the check with a d4." that implies to me that sp long as i have at least one of the skills listed, i should choose among the ones i have In my example, there are only two listed, of which I only have one, therefore, I have to choose that one. If it instead listed dexterity disable strength melee and I didn't have disable or melee, I could choose between dex or strength.

This point has come up a number of times but the designer, Mike Selinker, has commented on what was intended by that sentence.
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q795?Determining-Skill-Dice#12

Determining Skill Dice....

If you assume the sentence you quoted starts with an implied "Only" then it might be confusing.

"Only if your character doesn't have any of the skills listed for a check, you can still attempt the check, but your die is a d4."

If you assume the sentence starts with an implied "Even" then it might be more obvious what the intent was.

"Even if your character doesn't have any of the skills listed for a check, you can still attempt the check, but your die is a d4."

So, as Mark just said above, you can always use a d4 if you don't have the skill.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
slaybalj wrote:
I guess my question is whether the dog _gives_ you the perception skill. I don't think it does. Going to the FAQ, there is a question on whether using a weapon with a ranged trait allows you to use the archer on the check if you don't have the ranged skill. This implies the archer does NOT give you the ranged skill. since the dog and the archer are worded nearly identically save for the type of check and the die, why would the dog give you perception and the archer not give you ranged?

I think the correct way to look at this question is to consider when is the card (i.e. Dog, Archer, whatever) is played during the "Attempting the Check" sequence (see page 11 of the rules).

If a card is played during the first step ("Determine Which Die You're Using"), then it will add traits to the check.

If a card is played during the third step ("Play Cards That Affect the Check"), then it will NOT add traits to the check.

The Ally card, Dog, is played during step three ("Play Cards That Affect the Check") so therefore it doesn't add the Perception skill but it does mean you can add a d10 to your d4 Perception check (assuming you don't have a better Perception skill).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there arent a lot of other people chiming in just because it is an onlder thread and everyone is tired of the massive number of rules threads. I still feel like i am being obtuse because i am having so much trouble with this.

You are right, i see the difference between the archer and the dog now. The archer is addinga die to a -combat- check wpthat has the ranged attribute, not adding a die to A ranged check. If she were adding a die to a ranged check, then any character besides harsk would never be able use her, since they would be rolling a dexterity check if they were using a longbow.

I think you have comvinced me. The base decks assigned are a very strong point in favor of your conclusion. Thematically, the dog is on watch nd notices the ambush for you

Additionally, i cannot find a single card that states it gives you a skill, therefore it seems reasonable that cards that add dice to specialized skill traits give you that trait for the duration of the check.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
slaybalj wrote:
I guess my question is whether the dog _gives_ you the perception skill. I don't think it does. Going to the FAQ, there is a question on whether using a weapon with a ranged trait allows you to use the archer on the check if you don't have the ranged skill. This implies the archer does NOT give you the ranged skill. since the dog and the archer are worded nearly identically save for the type of check and the die, why would the dog give you perception and the archer not give you ranged?

I think the correct way to look at this question is to consider when is the card (i.e. Dog, Archer, whatever) is played during the "Attempting the Check" sequence (see page 11 of the rules).

If a card is played during the first step ("Determine Which Die You're Using"), then it will add traits to the check.

If a card is played during the third step ("Play Cards That Affect the Check"), then it will NOT add traits to the check.

The Ally card, Dog, is played during step three ("Play Cards That Affect the Check") so therefore it doesn't add the Perception skill but it does mean you can add a d10 to your d4 Perception check (assuming you don't have a better Perception skill).


This was my first rational reading of the rules, and how i initially was playing. Then the "You may use a skill that isn’t listed on your character card only if another card gives your character that skill." came up in the rule book. If i can choose to roll the 1d4 for perception in place of the 1d6 for wisdom (for example) specifically so i can play the dog, but the dog doesnt give me perception, when does this line apply?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
xris wrote:
slaybalj wrote:
I guess my question is whether the dog _gives_ you the perception skill. I don't think it does. Going to the FAQ, there is a question on whether using a weapon with a ranged trait allows you to use the archer on the check if you don't have the ranged skill. This implies the archer does NOT give you the ranged skill. since the dog and the archer are worded nearly identically save for the type of check and the die, why would the dog give you perception and the archer not give you ranged?

I think the correct way to look at this question is to consider when is the card (i.e. Dog, Archer, whatever) is played during the "Attempting the Check" sequence (see page 11 of the rules).

If a card is played during the first step ("Determine Which Die You're Using"), then it will add traits to the check.

If a card is played during the third step ("Play Cards That Affect the Check"), then it will NOT add traits to the check.

The Ally card, Dog, is played during step three ("Play Cards That Affect the Check") so therefore it doesn't add the Perception skill but it does mean you can add a d10 to your d4 Perception check (assuming you don't have a better Perception skill).


This was my first rational reading of the rules, and how i initially was playing. Then the "You may use a skill that isn’t listed on your character card only if another card gives your character that skill." came up in the rule book. If i can choose to roll the 1d4 for perception in place of the 1d6 for wisdom (for example) specifically so i can play the dog, but the dog doesnt give me perception, when does this line apply?

Mike & the FAQ have clarified that you can take any check with a base d4 roll. It appears that line survived an edit it shouldn't have and later clarifications have rendered it incorrect.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Throknor wrote:
slaybalj wrote:


This was my first rational reading of the rules, and how i initially was playing. Then the "You may use a skill that isn’t listed on your character card only if another card gives your character that skill." came up in the rule book. If i can choose to roll the 1d4 for perception in place of the 1d6 for wisdom (for example) specifically so i can play the dog, but the dog doesnt give me perception, when does this line apply?

Mike & the FAQ have clarified that you can take any check with a base d4 roll. It appears that line survived an edit it shouldn't have and later clarifications have rendered it incorrect.


Argg!! Ive read the faq a dozen times and i dont think the faq says anything about it. I guess i will digg through mikes comments to find the refence. It does jive with what makes rational sense to me, and ive been wanting to draw a big line through that sentance for ages!

Note, this does have two ancillary effects.

First, it means that if i have a wisdom/perception check and i have no perception but my wisdom is a d6 , i can choose to either roll the d6 for wisdom or a d4 for perception. There is no rational reason i can think of to roll the d4 unless you have a cardthat modifies the perception check, but you could still choose to.

Second, it means if i do not have perception, but i choose roll the d4, i could, in fact, play a blessing on the check to roll a 2d4 instead, since a blessing adds a die to any check. This directly contradicts the comment by another user above.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
Throknor wrote:
slaybalj wrote:


This was my first rational reading of the rules, and how i initially was playing. Then the "You may use a skill that isn’t listed on your character card only if another card gives your character that skill." came up in the rule book. If i can choose to roll the 1d4 for perception in place of the 1d6 for wisdom (for example) specifically so i can play the dog, but the dog doesnt give me perception, when does this line apply?

Mike & the FAQ have clarified that you can take any check with a base d4 roll. It appears that line survived an edit it shouldn't have and later clarifications have rendered it incorrect.


Argg!! Ive read the faq a dozen times and i dont think the faq says anything about it. I guess i will digg through mikes comments to find the refence. It does jive with what makes rational sense to me, and ive been wanting to draw a big line through that sentance for ages!

Note, this does have two ancillary effects.

First, it means that if i have a wisdom/perception check and i have no perception but my wisdom is a d6 , i can choose to either roll the d6 for wisdom or a d4 for perception. There is no rational reason i can think of to roll the d4 unless you have a cardthat modifies the perception check, but you could still choose to.

Second, it means if i do not have perception, but i choose roll the d4, i could, in fact, play a blessing on the check to roll a 2d4 instead, since a blessing adds a die to any check. This directly contradicts the comment by another user above.


I apologize, it isn't in the faq but in his Thoughts after 1500 threads post:

Mike Selinker wrote:
7. Skills and dice are not the same.
This game frequently asks you to roll a “Strength check” or a “Perception check.” That’s a simple concept that has some complexity to it. When you have a skill, you roll that skill’s die plus any bonuses listed by that skill; if you don’t have the skill, you roll a d4. But when a card gives you another die of that skill (the same size as you get from the skill), that’s all it gives you. You don’t get your bonuses again. You don’t get the skill associated with that die. You don’t get the ability to recharge a spell that requires the Arcane skill if you don’t have it. You don’t get the ability to play a Blessing of Gorum for 2 dice on your Longbow, because you’re not making a Strength check. You just get a die.

It's stickied on their forum; I think it will be official when they are satisfied with the wording.

To address your point (without a specific example as I'm at work): it can be better to take the d4 if you have something adding a d10 as opposed to a d8 for example. The difference is the d8 is free, the d4+d10 could cost you a card (depending on recharge/reveal obviously; if either of those apply then it's a much easier choice).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
slaybalj wrote:
Second, it means if i do not have perception, but i choose roll the d4, i could, in fact, play a blessing on the check to roll a 2d4 instead, since a blessing adds a die to any check. This directly contradicts the comment by another user above.


Is this the contradictory post you are referring to?

spbtc wrote:
Going back to the dog, when it says it is adding 1d10 to your Perception check, it is giving you a Perception check. If you do not have a Perception skill of you own, your base die is 1d4. What you couldn't do is use Blessing to give you an additional 1d4 to a Perception check, since the blessing card doesn't give you a Perception check.


If so, then I think that Scott had that wrong but then I also think that he may have had a change of mind a couple of posts after. You will need to ask him directly as I'm only second guessing

I think everyone is on the same page otherwise. If you are playing a character that doesn't have the Perception skill and you need to attempt a Perception check, then you can play Dog to give you an additional d10 (Dog) to your d4 (Perception) roll. If someone also plays a Blessing then you get to add an additional d4 (for a total of 2d4 + d10).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
xris wrote:
slaybalj wrote:
Second, it means if i do not have perception, but i choose roll the d4, i could, in fact, play a blessing on the check to roll a 2d4 instead, since a blessing adds a die to any check. This directly contradicts the comment by another user above.


Is this the contradictory post you are referring to?

spbtc wrote:
Going back to the dog, when it says it is adding 1d10 to your Perception check, it is giving you a Perception check. If you do not have a Perception skill of you own, your base die is 1d4. What you couldn't do is use Blessing to give you an additional 1d4 to a Perception check, since the blessing card doesn't give you a Perception check.


If so, then I think that Scott had that wrong but then I also think that he may have had a change of mind a couple of posts after. You will need to ask him directly as I'm only second guessing :)

I think everyone is on the same page otherwise. If you are playing a character that doesn't have the Perception skill and you need to attempt a Perception check, then you can play Dog to give you an additional d10 (Dog) to your d4 (Perception) roll. If someone also plays a Blessing then you get to add an additional d4 (for a total of 2d4 + d10).


OK. I think I am on the same page as you. Scott's was the comment I was referring to.

My first point was that if I was a total moron and had no card that would allow me to add bonuses or additional dice to either type of check, I could still choose to make a check against a skill not listed on my card

I hadn't realized point number 7 from Mike's post was actually overruling the following two lines in the rulebook "If a character doesn't have any of the skills listed for a check, you may still attempt the check ... but your die is a d4. You may use a skill that isn't listed on your character card only if another card gives your character that skill" I was trying to make point #7 work with those two statements and concluding that for anything like the wisdom/perception check, since I had a wisdom die, I would have to use it, even if I had something that would buff a perception check.

My inclination is to strike the above sentences and add something like the following wording to the character cards - skill section of the rule book:

"Skills come in two forms basic skills such as Stength, Dexterity, Constitution, Widsom, Intelligence, Charisma. All characters have all 6 basic skills. Specialized skills are skills such as Perception, Ranged, Melee, Arcane. Specialized skills are based off of a basic skill and will use the same die as the basic skill they are listed under. Note that not all characters will have specialized skills based off the same basic skill. For example, Kyra's Divine skill is based off her Wisdom skill while Lem's is based off his Charisma skill. If your character card does not have a specialized skill listed, you may roll a d4 for that skill."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.