Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

As the title says. I am wondering if anyone knows of a link to a site that has a quiz on it related to your board game playing style.
I found plenty for video games, but nothing for board games.

I just got into a discussion with a friend about the various playing styles of our group and how we would describe each of us.

So that got me thinking. If you had to describe your game playing style in one word, what would it be and why?

For example, I would use the word "Showman" for me. To me it is all about putting on a good show. Having fun and keeping all people at the table entertained and make sure they get their "moneys worth" out of the gaming experience.

I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on if such a quiz exists and what words you use to describe your gaming style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it was developed primarily for video games, I think the Bartle Test is quite useful for thinking about boardgames as well.

You might also look into Mark Rosewater's breakdown of Magic players into Timmy, Johnny, and Spike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Although it was developed primarily for video games, I think the Bartle Test is quite useful for thinking about boardgames as well.

You might also look into Mark Rosewater's breakdown of Magic players into Timmy, Johnny, and Spike.

Thanks for the insight. I looked at the Bartle test and took it. I feel it is strongly meant for video games. I did not really feel it crosses into the board game realm at all. There were some minor parallels that with a bit of work could be adapted to fit board game logic, but it seemed to be overwhelmingly designed to suit a mmorpeg game style.

The TJS test brings back memories of my old days of playing Magic. I was such a Johnny style player. Still am...
That is more of what I am looking for actually. Now if I can only find it in board game quiz form!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
Osirus wrote:

Thanks for the insight. I looked at the Bartle test and took it. I feel it is strongly meant for video games. I did not really feel it crosses into the board game realm at all. There were some minor parallels that with a bit of work could be adapted to fit board game logic, but it seemed to be overwhelmingly designed to suit a mmorpeg game style.

The TJS test brings back memories of my old days of playing Magic. I was such a Johnny style player. Still am...
That is more of what I am looking for actually. Now if I can only find it in board game quiz form!

The test itself may be made for video games, but the categories are absolutely relevant to board games. If you describe yourself as a "Showman" who wants everyone at the table to be entertained, I'd guess you're primarily a Heart (social gamer). I'm more of a Spade (I want to explore the playspace and test out edge-case strategies) mixed with Diamond (I want to achieve perfected engines and highest points on the tech tree, even if those are not the most efficient routes to victory).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that is what I mean by parallels. There are some crossovers on how your gaming style plays out in the quiz. And with some effort it could be adapted.

But when taking the quiz, it showed me just how much I am not a video gamer specifically in the MMORPEG realm. But I am a board game nut. So many of the questions I did not care about the answers at all. So having a person who has not played a MMORPEG take it would not yield accurate results and in my example below conflicting ones.

In the end my video game playing personality is not at all like my board game personality. The extent of my social videogame style is playing StarCraft or League of legends with one or two real life friends. I do not want to encounter strangers and do not care about any in game reputation or knowledge or having the best stuff. It is all irrelevant to me. Sitting across the table from someone vs. encountering them in cyberspace can have a huge psychological impact on how you choose to interact with them. I could be timid and polite in person. But in cyberspace I am a merciless cut throat player.

The quiz helped me lay out some key areas of board gaming that I will use to make a quiz of my own if necessity dictates.
I made some examples of what I am looking for in a quiz. I want it universal as opposed to specific. Questions related to equipment etc. would not work.

I came up with some areas like:

Rules: Spirit vs. to the letter.
It is about: The destination vs. the journey.
Other people having fun: Irrelevant vs. paramount.
Political: Tedious vs. Dance puppets.
Randomness: Like vs. Dislike.
Being ganged up on. Bring it on! vs. Stop it jerks!
Player elimination: Die! vs. You may live, for now...

Those are questions I am interested in as opposed to. Would you rather have a better sword. Yes it is symbolic of do you want to have an edge over players in certain ways for example.

Plus the video gamer quiz really focused on a social style fantasy reputation equipment gaining game.

I am trying to find a more universal gaming style that can be applied to all board games. Something that can carry over from heavy games to social games. And that opens a whole new quiz. What kinds of games do you like? Competitive vs. cooperative, party games etc.

As mentioned, I am the Showman. It does not matter the game. I have to explain it and run it and keep it flowing and keep people smiling. This style transcends every game I play.
So I bet you can guess some of my answers to my above questions.

My one friend would be categorized as "ruthless". He is a cut throat rule monger who plays to win to the point that other peoples fun is irrelevant. It does not matter what we are playing. If the game has the option to win and destroy your opponents. He goes for it. The fun is in knowing the rules and exploiting them.

Another friend is the "Empathic gamer." He is effected by the emotions of the other players. Are people getting upset? Is someone being mean? If things get too heated he overloads and has to leave.
When he and the ruthless player are playing sparks always fly because he picks up on the mood the ruthless player is creating at the table and he reacts to it and the game goes down hill quickly.

I hope this better illustrates what I am looking for in this quiz that may or may not exist out there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cardboard Republic has a Gamer Archetypes page with a quiz you can take to determine your game type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
The Cardboard Republic has a Gamer Archetypes page with a quiz you can take to determine your game type.

Great find. I like. Tactician/ striker I got. Which actually sounds about right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hayden
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of those archetypes on Cardboard Republic really fit me, but if I had to choose I would be the Easy-going Architect. I'll play anything, love most games, and never complain as I build the biggest empire possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:

Thank you! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

I took the test twice to see how consistent it is because there are many different questions and I think certain ones will get results that steer you towards different archetypes that may not be accurate.

When I read the descriptions I am STRONGLY an immersionist. I was agreeing with every sentence written. Yet when I took the quiz the first time I was a tactician/social gamer. But the second time I took it I was an immersionist.

My friend read it and he is strongly an architect, but he got tactician/daredevil. So I think they did an amazing job of defining the archetypes, but the quiz itself needs a little work to get consistent answers.

I would suggest including all questions on all quizzes as this can make a big deal. If the questions that most strongly define me as a specific archetype aren't included, it will skew my results. Some situations bring out characteristics in you that go against your natural archetype and if a quiz focusses on them it will give inaccurate results.

Still a great quiz! I will have all my friends take it as a pre requisite to gaming with me :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Architect / Tactician

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daredevil/Immersionist

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadrach Anki
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took the quiz at The Cardboard Republic three times. My first result was Architect/Immersionist, my second result was Generalist (near as I can tell this is a "you weren't strong in any single category or pair of categories so we'll stick you in Hufflepuff" situation), and my third was Architect/Tactician.

In reading through the archetype descriptions, the only one that didn't really resonate with me at all was Striker. Socializer and Daredevil both contain a couple things that I agree with, but aren't particularly good fits. Architect, Tactician, and Immersionist all resonated highly with me, so getting those results didn't surprise me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShadrachAnki wrote:
I took the quiz at The Cardboard Republic three times.

Why? Did you fail the first two times? Didn't like the results you got? Let each of your multiple personalities have a crack? I don't understand what the point would be?

Mine came back Tactician. Which was hardly surprising to me. But maybe I should take it a couple more times to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadrach Anki
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
ShadrachAnki wrote:

Why? Did you fail the first two times? Didn't like the results you got? Let each of your multiple personalities have a crack? I don't understand what the point would be?

Mine came back Tactician. Which was hardly surprising to me. But maybe I should take it a couple more times to be sure.

As was pointed out up-thread, there are are more than fifteen questions in the quiz's pool, but only fifteen of them show up each time the quiz is loaded. In part, I wanted to check for consistency, but there were also several questions where I had two choices that were almost identical in weight/priority to me, so I was trying out different combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactician here.

Also taking the quiz again is not useless. There is a large pool of questions that are chosen from so you can wind up with different questions each time you take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShadrachAnki wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
ShadrachAnki wrote:

As was pointed out up-thread, there are are more than fifteen questions in the quiz's pool, but only fifteen of them show up each time the quiz is loaded. In part, I wanted to check for consistency, but there were also several questions where I had two choices that were almost identical in weight/priority to me, so I was trying out different combinations.

Good answer. I wasn't paying enough attention. Please forgive my inappropriate snarkiness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun little test. (I especially enjoyed the "Target Acquired." answer.)

I took the test 3 times. First 2 times, it tells me, "Immersionist." The third time, it calls me a "Generalist" because I apparently have "a unique blend of many different gaming styles." laugh So, apparently I'm an Immersionist who likes to branch out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Handsome Daredevil. It's like the quiz knows me intimately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Socializer / Immersionist

That's probably an accurate description of someone who primarily plays RPGs these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mmmmm...delicious cheese coney...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tactician. Which I think is accurate. However, I do not suffer from analysis paralysis. I pick the best, or least bad, option and shoot. No regrets, No waffling. Full speed ahead and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domenic Dominics
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an Architect/Tactician. Which doesn't surprise me at all and sounds pretty much spot on. Although I could have answered some of the questions with a more diplomacy based response instead of the cold tactical responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.