12 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Captain and Crew cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ Walker

California
msg tools
This may never happen but I would sure like to see Wizkids sell just the captain and crew cards for more options without the ships. That way you could put the new captain and crew on ships you already have.

They could even put on the card "This Captain/Crew card can only be used with "X" Faction" to kill two birds with one stone. It has to be easier to print cards than manufacture the ships.

They could call them Captain and Crew expansion decks or whatever. For example, there could be an Admiral Ross card and crew without needing to wait for them to come up with an idea for a ship. Or an Admiral Riker and crew, or a Captain Beverly Picard and crew. Or other characters from the shows that didn't necessarily have a ship but were part a special episode, like Lt. Shelby from "Best of Both Worlds"or the Klingon sisters from Generations.

And why no Wesley Crusher crew card? Where's Counselor Troi? Dr. Bashir? Or Nog? Is Odo coming?

Any way, just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really don't expect them to release cards without miniatures.

As for some of the missing crew, the game has barely been released, I'm sure we still have a long way to go yet. I'm expecting at the least an Enterprise E somewhere down the road, which gives room for more crew. Mr Andrew Park has already hinted that some of the cards we've seen so far, may it be the only versions to be released, as has already been shown with Miles and Worf in the Defiant expansion. And, having already seen OP LEs of some ships, I'm sure we will also see other named versions of some of the classes we have already seen. In other words, we all just have to be patient, and wait to see what comes next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking and hoping on this one too. Some possibilities:

Enterprise E: Good opportunity for missed TNG characters with strong abilities. Thinking:
Councilor Troi: Action: Acquire a target lock on a ship within range 3 (as in the last movie).
Dr Crusher: Disable to prevent discard of a crew upgrade, or to turn over a Captain Injured damage card.
Etc. Expect they will do Enterprise C and give us Lt. Yar. Kind of a disappointment that there is not one woman in the Enterprise D cards.

Another good way to do it would be with runabouts and shuttles. Seems a sensible way to handle the missing DS9 crew, and I think a Danube-class would be quite popular. It would be well-suited to special survival missions. Shuttles could fill similar rolls for Voyager (which will almost surely be missing half its cast) and the Enterprises. I think in scenario play, they have a ton of potential, not least since they could fly down to planets (without transporting).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bishop
msg tools
Don't you think Troi would allow you to look at an opponents maneuver dial in an "out of sequence" Action? Seems more Betazoid to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Long
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Looking at opponent's dials is game-breaking. Can;t see it ever happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troi could let you look at a face down card (i.e. Kirk's talents). That isn't really a game breaker, and is something she does all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old Longy wrote:
Looking at opponent's dials is game-breaking. Can;t see it ever happening.

Oh, I think it will happen at some point. Both in STAW and XW. STAW has mind readers and XW has Force users. I have little doubt that there will be a "discard this card to view your opponent's maneuver dial after they have placed it" crew upgrade in this and pilot skill in XW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shameless plug: Custom Meta-game Cards - WIP

Until we see some of these official cards I've been playing around with a couple characters we might not see and some fun meta-effects. Specifically Mindmeld allows looking at a yet to be revealed dial...very situational.

Printing these and using them with my wife made a casual game more thematic and fun for her, whereas my boys and I are all about official cards and OP builds.

I might like to try creating a Deanna Troi card based on above recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pigasuspig wrote:
I've been thinking and hoping on this one too. Some possibilities:

Enterprise E: Good opportunity for missed TNG characters with strong abilities. Thinking:
Councilor Troi: Action: Acquire a target lock on a ship within range 3 (as in the last movie).
Dr Crusher: Disable to prevent discard of a crew upgrade, or to turn over a Captain Injured damage card.
Etc. Expect they will do Enterprise C and give us Lt. Yar. Kind of a disappointment that there is not one woman in the Enterprise D cards.

Another good way to do it would be with runabouts and shuttles. Seems a sensible way to handle the missing DS9 crew, and I think a Danube-class would be quite popular. It would be well-suited to special survival missions. Shuttles could fill similar rolls for Voyager (which will almost surely be missing half its cast) and the Enterprises. I think in scenario play, they have a ton of potential, not least since they could fly down to planets (without transporting).

I was thinking the E would have been a good choice for a Riker/Captain card, instead of the one we got for him as captain with the D. Riker could have been an upgrade as a first officer, something like disable Riker to remove a disabled token. Make Jelico a non-generic captain instead, since he did command the ship for a short time.

I do agree that a USS Rio Grande/Danube class runabout and Delta Flyer would be fun little ships as ways to add missing crew members. Or even Chakotay's Maquis ship from the Voyager pilot, as a way to add in Chakotay as captain, plus Torres and Tuvok. Leaving Janeway, Kim, Tom, and the Doctor for the Voyager. It would also stretch out the Delta quadrant Fed releases during the Borg OP for next year.

Of course, the thing about a Runabout for DS9 release, is you only have Bashir left out as a Federation crew upgrade. But, it would be a nice way to give us a Worf and Jadzia Dax/Federation Captain card. I figure we should get Odo in the Bajoran ship release, I'm just wondering who will be the Captain for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Romero
United States
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmb
Maybe Troi's card will let you crash the ship like the Jem'Ha'Dar card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
msg tools
mb
Well, as regards DS9 crew cards we don't have yet: Quark and Ezri Dax. I would actually kill to get a Morn card - thematically, he would have to be incredibly awesome but never actually used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Locke
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
DoggieMon wrote:
Maybe Troi's card will let you crash the ship like the Jem'Ha'Dar card.

lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.