Subject: Board game transit map I made rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Toby Hamand
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm from London, and I love board gaming. So I decided to open a board game cafe in London (http://www.draughtslondon.com/). I've designed a board game tube map to help gamers find new games to play.
Each tube line represents a different genre or category of game. Players can follow each line and find a board game that intersects with their chosen categories. Hopefully should be a simple way for gamers to find new games to play.

Any feedback is appreciated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a nice map.

My first thought was to look for "the next stop" from games I like and treat that as a recommendation to try that new game. I think others, especially those unfamiliar with most of the niche games, will think the same thing. However, your map is not set up for that, e.g. the next stop past Agricola on the Cards line is Munchkin. Although, whether you meant it to or not, "the next stop" actually is close in gaming terms for much of the map.

It might be prohibitively hard, if not impossible, to change the map such that "the next stop" is close in gaming in all cases. If you could pull it off, it would be great. If not, maybe add some symbol to show "the next stop" is really far away on those cases where it is, e.g. Agricola to Munchkin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Nicely done!
That was a bit of work.

Reminds me of the grid system I used to use with a buddy of mine, similar to that used in the Split Infinity novel series. The idea was that to choose a game to play, we would each choose a category of game, cross-reference our choices to find the next chart, and repeat that, narrowing down the choices until we were left with just one game.
The problem was that we were usually each vying for a different kind of game experience which meant that we ended up with something that neither one of us really wanted at the time.

lewis wrote:
It's a nice map.

It might be prohibitively hard, if not impossible, to change the map such that "the next stop" is close in gaming in all cases.

Given the combinations he's trying to juggle, I would say so. As it is, I expect there a a few hours in this.
Would be a truly beautiful tool if it could be done, though, to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.