Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ken watanabe
United States
mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
O.k. so here's my story lol. I picked up a Cryx (sp?) army for a pretty good price ($10) and my god these minis are beautiful. So i started looking into the game and the website etc and the rules seem so complicated. I play WH40K and Dust Tactics but this just seems so much more involved? My brain just cant retain harder game rules and i understand and know my limitations but i really want to play this, just "simpler". Is there any resource available? I primarily would play this with my 9 year old since my group tends to prefer board games over this type of game. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
There are "quick start" rules on this page: http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/the-game

I think they are more of a "rules preview" than an actual simplification, but you might give them a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
The quickstarts should work pretty nicely. Just focus on moving (run/walk/charge), attacking (ranged or melee) and spell casting for now just using casters and warjacks. Add in power attacks, troops, etc as you get comfortable with the basics. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core rules are simple. The special rules on the cards are what makes the game complicated.

I'd say that there are different stages of mastering Warmachine/Hordes: knowing your own cards; knowing your opponent's cards; knowing all cards in the game. I am at stage one.

The game is often taught to new players using the 'Journeyman' system, whereby players play a game or series of games at different point levels, allowing a slow increase in both the complexity of the game and the size of their collections. Start with a battle box (i.e. a Warcaster/Warlock and 2-3 Warjacks/Warbeasts, totalling around 12 points); then 15 points; then 35 points; then 50 points.

As well as increasing rules slowly, this system also allows your collection to grow sensibly. An army has to include a Warcaster, and it practically has to include at least 1 or 2 Warjacks (to use up the Warcaster's free Warjack points): this comprises perhaps 12-15 points.

Then the army can add to this core by including Units of troops, and Solo characters, perhaps with their own Warjacks: this brings the total up to 35 or 50 points.

From this stage on, you may want to start introducing new warcasters to totally change the way your army plays, and purchase the warjacks, units and solos that work best with those warcasters.

50 points is really the maximum that people usually play, and tournaments usually take place at 35/50 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. If you can find a local group... or just a handful of people... interested in doing a journeyman league its a great way for folks to learn the game together. If you're interested (and don't mind looking over league rules on top of game rules) check out the league document here: http://privateerpress.com/files/Journeyman%20League%20Rules....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.