Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Marriner
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since I've had a spate of Mythos games on the CCG Workshop of late, I figured I wouldn't post reports on all of them. However, I might as well add another session report for the last game I played. It seems like there are a few more interested Mythos players on the gEngine these days so I hope that keeps up ...

This was the second time I played this deck so I was hopeful. The first time was relatively successful, and I'd hoped this would be better. It's based on one of my favorite adventures: Ashes, Ashes, Azathoth but is set in the Waking World as opposed to New Aeon. Why? Just because I like doing adventures in unlikely places. The other adventures to round it out were Two Cities and a Tale and Arkham Horror.

When first putting the deck together, I was just using Two Cities and Ashes as the base. However, I couldn't quite come up with a third (or fourth) adventure that overlapped to my liking. I stumbled on Arkham Horror which, to my surprise, seemed to overlap quite well even though it added a third subregion which made it slightly more complex. I use Chronoportation to get the Ashes artifacts in play (Tank and Tactical Nuclear Bomb).

Back to the game: my opponent was playing a New Aeon deck consisting of Dark Horse and Knee Deep in Doom. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what his other adventure(s) were. From the outset I had a good card draw and played most of the cards in my hand on the first round. From the start I thought I'd play Arkham Horror, then Ashes, then Two Cities to finish. However, my opponent had some high value monsters early on and dropped my sanity pretty quickly as this deck doesn't have a heck of a lot in the way of allies/monsters for blocking.

Thus, when I was able to play Two Cities early on I did so for the sanity increase and to cycle through my deck to get back to the Bellvue sanitarium. I also used up my Faithful Hounds buried monsters in my opponent's threat so I switched from trying to complete Arkham Horror to going for Ashes. I would have had Ashes _much_ earlier but my opponent played Media Hyperbole on the location where I was going to summon my GOO (Nyarlathotep) and then Batophobia. The phobia really hurt since all my locations are cities and I had just lost Sam Winsor and didn't have Bellvue in hand to get rid of it. Turned out to be a great play for him as I would've completed Ashes that round otherwise.

So I spent a while getting to Bellvue and ridding myself of the phobia (spent several turns on a train and using Chant of Thoth to draw Bellvue). I was finally able to play Ashes the following round, and was nicely set up for Arkham Horror on the following round.

However (!) during combat, my opponent had two cards in his threat: a -1 sanity card and a -2 sanity card. I thought for sure the -1 sanity was an IRS Auditor and thus wouldn't do any damage, and I commited 5 points of allies in defense of the other card. I could have used my Faithful Hounds, but chose to save them because I thought I had enough and needed them for Arkham Horror. Turns out both cards were monsters worth 12 points! I had only 2 points of sanity left and was driven insane. The final score was 19 - 12.

In hindsight (of course) I would have used the Faithful Hounds because I would have drawn the second copy on the next round and still would have been able to complete Arkham Horror. Ah well, a lesson learned. While this deck has yet to win a game, I thought it played fairly well and I really enjoy the adventures it uses. It is repoint legal as well.

Anyone up for another game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p fong
Singapore
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report. It's a fun read. Are you still able to play on CCG Worskshop? I hear that people have had trouble logging in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Marriner
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alas, no. I don't think anyone is able to logon to the gEngine these days. I read something about the admin having some family trouble and just wasn't able to commit to the software for the forseeable future. It might be back, but things don't sound good. I've not been able to log in for some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.