United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this two-player the other night, but the rulebook wasn't super specific about building decks and using units. We eventually decided that one player controls red and dark red while the other controls light blue and blue units, because we ran out of just one of the shades each pretty early on.

But what about the decks? Do you use the whole red/dark red deck, or just one of them, for instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You use just one color for everything +8 common units of another color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
If you watch the video from the link here, it will take you to a visual explanation of the two player setup, which is clearer than I can type: http://youtu.be/VAETWCuYgmU?t=2m42s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware of the how-to-play video, but I'd rather take thirty seconds to read a response than 40 minutes to watch a video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
I'm aware of the how-to-play video, but I'd rather take thirty seconds to read a response than 40 minutes to watch a video.

The link takes you directly to the section of the video that explains which components to use for a two player game - no need to watch the whole video
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
The link takes you directly to the section of the video that explains which components to use for a two player game - no need to watch the whole video

Yes, but it still takes over two minutes to answer all of the OP's questions.

But seriously, if you want to learn the game, you must see the video (or learn from someone who has seen it). I have just watched it and found out that the rulebook is much worse than I had thought. I played my first game with several rules wrong. The worst of all is that the rules very clearly and unequivocally state that you gain only one victory point for each territory and victory card, but both actually have different values (the brownish font over brownish background doesn't help noticing them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"5. There are 2 factions in the game,the Founders and the Vox Populi.

One player will be the Founders and the other the Vox Populi. The Founder player collects all of the blue units and light blue common units and places some of them on the board as indicated below. Set the remaining units to the side of the board, making up the Founder pool of units. The other player will be the Vox Populi and will do the same with the red units and dark red commons."

"6. The Founder player takes all of the blue action cards and forms his action deck. The Vox Populi player does the same with the red action cards. Each player draws 5 cards."

Page 8. Game Setup.

Note that there is a distinction between Blue / Light Blue and Red / Dark Red in the instructions so #6 specifically instructs that each player only takes up the deck of that color.

But yeah man. Watch the video. Super informative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ellis
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
My friend and I played this for the first time yesterday and the game is great, plays fast and looking forward to playing again. We both had a similar question regarding setup. I watched the video and understood how to take units and the deck, but the question we had was in regards to structures.

The rules say to just make a pile. Okay. Is this a pile of both light and dark colored structures? Or do you just take one of the colors in a two player game? I did not recall the video making a distinction either. This could be important for component limit, i.e. in a two player game only three of each type of structures are allowed.

The rules are clear on light/dark colors with units and decks, but then become suddenly vague on the structure tokens. A little bit different wording here would have made things very clear.

Does anybody happen to know if you're supposed to take all the structure tokens in a two player game? Or just one set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to explain. For a 2 player game, you take everything of just 1 of the colors and 8 common units of the other color. the common units are the only thing you'll have with mixed colors.

GamerGeekJason wrote:
My friend and I played this for the first time yesterday and the game is great, plays fast and looking forward to playing again. We both had a similar question regarding setup. I watched the video and understood how to take units and the deck, but the question we had was in regards to structures.

The rules say to just make a pile. Okay. Is this a pile of both light and dark colored structures? Or do you just take one of the colors in a two player game? I did not recall the video making a distinction either. This could be important for component limit, i.e. in a two player game only three of each type of structures are allowed.

The rules are clear on light/dark colors with units and decks, but then become suddenly vague on the structure tokens. A little bit different wording here would have made things very clear.

Does anybody happen to know if you're supposed to take all the structure tokens in a two player game? Or just one set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerGeekJason wrote:

Just for interests sake, you'll find it at this point in the video under setup: http://youtu.be/VAETWCuYgmU?t=3m08s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ellis
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
Pelvidar wrote:
Just for interests sake, you'll find it at this point in the video under setup: http://youtu.be/VAETWCuYgmU?t=3m08s

Rodney, thanks! I guess I did miss that in the video, or just forgot it when we went to play and couldn't find the answer in the book and it didn't stick out in my mind like the units did. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey no problem, always a lot to absorb the first time with a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.