Popular Tags: [View All]
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Simple question - "Can I commit all my troops in a space, end up with non and 'win' the combat?"

From the sound of the troops this sounds possible but just wanted to check:

I have 2 troops in a space
Other guy has 15...

I select '2' on my wheel and put my 6 leader in.
He selects '7' and selects a leader...

I kill his leader.

I have 8 strength
He has 7 strength

I 'win'?

- all his troops die
- my 2 troops die
- I keep my committed card (if i wish)
- he looses any cards he used

Is this all correct?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, this is right. In this type of battle, with overwhelming force, it's important for the players to look at what COULD happen and plan accordingly; in this case, even if he thought he had a landslide win, if he plays it too close to the line he could still lose (like he did).

I like this because even small armies can pose major trouble for big masses. You are never completely safe when you put all your eggs in one basket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks,

I was pretty sure it was correct just wanted to check that we don't 'both loose' or something like that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my rulebook in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that the 2-unit player "won" this battle; I don't think losing all your troops corresponds with winning/losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the player with 2 tokens and a net value of 8 won the battle. Yes, he lost all (both) of his tokens, but because the other guy didn't dial enough, he loses all 15 of his. The guy who started with only 2 tokens gets to keep his cards (assuming he wants to) and collects spice for the killed leader. The guy who started with 15 tokens gets nothing, loses all his tokens, and discards any cards he played.

Like Scott said, it can really hurt to dial just short of what you need, so make sure you plan for contingencies. It's frequently (yet not always) better to dial a little higher and ensure the win, than to gamble and conserve a couple extra tokens. A good Dune player should know exactly what is required to be dialed to ensure a win. (And don't forget the player who moved first in the turn wins ties!)

The only way both sides lose a battle is in the case of a lasgun/shield explosion, or if both sides call traitor. Otherwise, the side with the highest total battle value wins, even if they have no tokens left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
... and collects spice for the killed leader...

Spice?

You can take the mentat out of the desert, but you can't take the desert out of the mentat....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The winner of a battle gets spice (from the bank) equal to the total value of all leaders killed during the battle. (Yes, even if it was your own leader.)

I've seen others miss this rule, so I think it's pretty easily overlooked...

Ignore me, I thought I was writing in the Dune forum....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
The winner of a battle gets spice (from the bank) equal to the total value of all leaders killed during the battle. (Yes, even if it was your own leader.)

Unless that rule is in the Rex rulebook, that is true in Dune, but not in Rex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
tempus42 wrote:

Unless that rule is in the Rex rulebook, that is true in Dune, but not in Rex.

It's not in the Rex rulebook. However, on the weapons cards themselves, they say if you destroy a leader with the card, you get influence for it. (But you cannot get influence for your own leaders, and it doesn't matter if you win the battle).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez, I apologize. I'm getting my games mixed up -- When I typed that response, I totally thought I was in the Dune forum. That's just embarassing.......

Sorry, please ignore me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.