South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/10/09/star-trek-attack-win...

Some fun cards, the first Klingon ship with a rear arc, but I think the best sentence in the entire preview is:

Preview wrote:
As you can see the I.K.S. Kronos One Expansion Pack has a wonderful balance of offensive and defensive offerings for a player as well as new Effect Tokens to help players remember card abilities when they are activated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2013/10/09/star-trek-attack-win...

Some fun cards, the first Klingon ship with a rear arc, but I think the best sentence in the entire preview is:

Preview wrote:
As you can see the I.K.S. Kronos One Expansion Pack has a wonderful balance of offensive and defensive offerings for a player as well as new Effect Tokens to help players remember card abilities when they are activated.

So, is the actual figure going to match the presented picture, or are they still misrepresenting it and lying to us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!

I've been looking forward to this one.

The Concussive Charges will be popular vs cloakers:

"Like many Weapon Upgrades, the Concussive Charges require a Target Lock in order to use them in an attack. They can be used at range 2-3 with an attack of 4. When the player lands a hit or critical hit in the attack, they also get the benefit of removing 1 token of their choice that is next to the target ship for each uncancelled hit or crit. This gives the player the ability to remove a Scan, Battle Stations, Evasive Maneuver or Target Lock token. You can even remove a cloak token which will then mean the opponent’s ship has lost the defensive dice bonus from cloaking but their shields are still disabled until the End Phase of the turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
Prince of Moskova wrote:
Excellent!

I've been looking forward to this one.

The Concussive Charges will be popular vs cloakers:

"Like many Weapon Upgrades, the Concussive Charges require a Target Lock in order to use them in an attack. They can be used at range 2-3 with an attack of 4. When the player lands a hit or critical hit in the attack, they also get the benefit of removing 1 token of their choice that is next to the target ship for each uncancelled hit or crit. This gives the player the ability to remove a Scan, Battle Stations, Evasive Maneuver or Target Lock token. You can even remove a cloak token which will then mean the opponent’s ship has lost the defensive dice bonus from cloaking but their shields are still disabled until the End Phase of the turn."

The only problem is you need a Target Lock to use it, so it's only good if something cloaks after you're able to get one. Question on the Concussive charges, does it do damage and remove tokens? or just remove a token per [hit], [Crit]?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Barnette
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It both removes tokens and applies damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Mantuano
United States
Hamilton Square
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:

So, is the actual figure going to match the presented picture,

Kronos One looks exactly the same as the Groth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oninoted wrote:
Magentawolf wrote:

So, is the actual figure going to match the presented picture,

Kronos One looks exactly the same as the Groth

I have mine in hand: it IS the same sculpt as the Gr'oth.

I really don't understand this.

WizKids are doing a lot of good with the game, but I don't understand the point of a Gr'oth with a wonky bridge and then using the same sculpt to represent the Kronos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
WizKids are doing a lot of good with the game, but I don't understand the point of a Gr'oth with a wonky bridge and then using the same sculpt to represent the Kronos.

Do you think there is any chance that the wonky bridge was not the desired outcome, possibly?

That maybe the mold was unitentianally altered, or the factory got a bad copy to work from and it was already way down the production line before it was in hand............or something along those lines.

I mean it's also totally possible that WK just wanted to mess with the sculpt to see if their customers would notice.....just to see some people squirm. Teal is the color of sarcasm

The final product of the D7 in Tactics was fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
traitorarmor wrote:
BradyLS wrote:

Do you think there is any chance that the wonky bridge was not the desired outcome, possibly?

That maybe the mold was unitentianally altered, or the factory got a bad copy to work from and it was already way down the production line before it was in hand............or something along those lines.

I mean it's also totally possible that WK just wanted to mess with the sculpt to see if their customers would notice.....just to see some people squirm. Teal is the color of sarcasm

The final product of the D7 in Tactics was fine.

The screwed-up sculpt was also used in Tactics II, so to my mind, they damn well had time to figure it was bad before getting used in Attack Wing, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:
The screwed-up sculpt was also used in Tactics II, so to my mind, they damn well had time to figure it was bad before getting used in Attack Wing, too.

That's not what I'm suggesting.

I'm suggesting that they had 2 prototypes the correct 1 from Tactics 1 and the incorrect-nerd-rage-inducing one in Tactics 2.........they intended to use the Tactics 1 version but there was some breakdown in the........

this is the one we want-->it's approved-->send it out-->get it back by the pallet

......line of events the other prototype was substituted. Maybe even not by design.

Not that WKs didn't know the sculpt was off in Tactics 2 and were shocked to hear about it now.

While that is a possibility, I will admit, that is not what I was getting at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I accepted the Gr'oth. The game is that good and the discrepancy is tolerable. Even with a canon-correct bridge, it would still look more like a TMP-era K'tinga than a TOS D7 thanks to all that plating detail.

But then the Kronos (which I'm also accepting) is just the Gr'oth in a different box. I expected something else about the model to be different at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping for at least the alternate 'white' color scheme, the one used in the solicit.

Clearly there was some sort of breakdown from the 'this is what we want it to be' to the 'this is what was produced' process.

It's unfortunate......my hope, and expectation is that this will be taken into consideration and planed for as we go forward.

I choose to believe it will be better as we go on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are in the mail. Sigh ... I had hoped for anything BUT the Gr'oth again. I just finished painting those and now I need to figure out a different paint scheme for these so they stand out! soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.