Subject: BGBTB Auckland: Bigger And Better (And Now With Tournaments!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Board Games By The Bay Auckland is well and truly on the horizon!

With just over six weeks to go, the November event is shaping up to be the biggest and best BGBTB yet!

On top of what regular attendees will have grown accustomed to – great gaming, prizes, giveaways, and games for sale at below-internet prices – we are proud to announce the below exciting features:

MARTIN WALLACE
Yes, he hasn’t got sick of us just yet! Martin will be attending, fresh from SPIEL in Essen and will have prototypes for his upcoming designs. If you want to meet the award winning designer, play one of his prototypes, or get an autograph, he’ll be happy to oblige.

ANDROID: NETRUNNER AND STAR WARS: X-WING TOURNAMENTS
On the Saturday, (November 23), we will be hosting an Android: Netrunner tournament. On the Sunday, (November 24), we will be hosting a Star Wars: X-Wing tournament. There will be prizes up for grabs, including alternative art cards for the top 16 ranked players of each tourney. Spaces are limited and online pre-registration is absolutely essential if you want to be involved. Check out the tournament details here:
Android: Netrunner http://boardgamesbythebay.org.nz/product/event/netrunner-tou...
Star Wars: X-Wing http://boardgamesbythebay.org.nz/product/event/x-wing-tourna...

TWO ROOMS AND A BOOM
This fantastic big group event went off with a bang (ha!) at our Palmerston North event with a 28 player game! We want Auckland gamers to experience this simple social game. It’s easy to learn, and only takes 15 minutes to play, so clear some space in your schedule on the Saturday evening.

PRE-ORDER PRIZE
We want to encourage you to pre-register your attendance – that will help us to prepare enough lunch and confectionary to keep you well fed and happy – so on top of a 25% discount on weekend ticket prices, we’re going to give away one copy of the Collector’s Edition of Discworld: Ankh-Morpork, autographed by designer Martin Wallace. This version of the game was never available for sale in New Zealand stores, so register for BGBTB to get in the draw! (Already registered? You’re already in the draw!)

We look forward to seeing you there, soaking up 20 hours of gaming goodness!

November 23-24
Door charge: $10 per day
Pre-ordered tickets: $10 for one day, $15 for the weekend
Gamers aged 12 and under: FREE (but must be accompanied by an adult)

The Board Games By The Bay series of events are New Zealand’s fastest growing board game events, with more than 350 people already having attended events in Tauranga, Auckland, Hamilton, and Palmerston North so far in 2013.

You can find more information at the below links:
BGG Guild: http://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1091
Website for event details, ticket pre-orders, and tournament registration: http://boardgamesbythebay.org.nz/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EEE Awesome! Looking forward to it! WWW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
EEE Awesome! Looking forward to it! WWW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody Nixon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hooray! its official. cant wait for sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Thompson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If you pick red, don't complain when I start moving your meeple...
mbmbmbmbmb
David you forgot to mention one of the exciting features:

BRAD THOMPSON
Will be there. If you want to meet the designer, play one of his prototypes, or get an autograph, he’ll be happy to oblige.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Always Red wrote:

BRAD THOMPSON
Will be there. If you want to meet the designer, play one of his prototypes, or get an autograph, he’ll be happy to oblige.

You had better up the security David - there will probably be groupies...

Looking forward to another fantastic BGBTB event!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:

You had better up the security David - there will probably be groupies...

Happy to don a red shirt. Knowing I'll only survive 3 minutes max helps ;-p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always Red wrote:

BRAD THOMPSON

I sure do love me some Granny Wars. Will they be shipped in time to get you to sign one at BGBTB Brad?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Thompson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kactus04 wrote:
Always Red wrote:

BRAD THOMPSON

I sure do love me some Granny Wars. Will they be shipped in time to get you to sign one at BGBTB Brad?

I don't think they'll be arriving for a week or 2 after BGBTB unfortunately. That reminds me that I should really work on a better signature. At the moment it would just end up looking like a 5-year old defaced your game.

Today I've just found out I'm no longer a full time game designer (I have a new day job). Unfortunately they need me to work the weekend of BGBTB. I'll try make it in the evening. I'm keen to try this 2 Rooms and a Boom game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blackman
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:

ANDROID: NETRUNNER ... TOURNAMENT
On the Saturday, (November 23), we will be hosting an Android: Netrunner tournament. Check out the tournament details here:
Android: Netrunner http://boardgamesbythebay.org.nz/product/event/netrunner-tou...

For those also on Facebook there is a group page here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ANRNZ/
And another regarding the event here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/603098319732112/

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Thompson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always Red wrote:
I don't think they'll be arriving for a week or 2 after BGBTB unfortunately. That reminds me that I should really work on a better signature. At the moment it would just end up looking like a 5-year old defaced your game.

Today I've just found out I'm no longer a full time game designer (I have a new day job). Unfortunately they need me to work the weekend of BGBTB. I'll try make it in the evening. I'm keen to try this 2 Rooms and a Boom game.

Work is no longer clashing with BGBTB. So see you all there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blackman
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:

ANDROID: NETRUNNER ... TOURNAMENT
On the Saturday, (November 23), we will be hosting an Android: Netrunner tournament. Check out the tournament details here:

Also some extra information for the tournament participants:

Proposed Schedule:
-SWISS ROUNDS-
R1 11:00-12:05
R2 12:10-1:15
R3 1:20-2:25
-TOP FOUR ELIMINATION-
Semi Finals 2:30-3:35
Finals 3:40-4:55

Exception from the Tournament Rule book:
- Legal card pool is everything up to and including the Creation & Control deluxe expansion. No cards from Opening Moves or Second Thoughts are permitted.

All other rules as written including;
- A printed or handwritten deck list for each runner & corporation deck must be submitted with registration on the day before 10:45am.
- Random deck checks may be performed and both finalists' decks will be checked on completion of the tournament.
- We have a tight schedule, so please be prepared to have refreshments either before 11am, after 2:30pm or between rounds if your game finishes early.
- If all players have finished a round early, we will most likely keep to the schedule and offer a refreshment break so that the top 4 have a chance to eat.
- Tournament slips will be provided for recording the points breakdown, please submit these ASAP after each match is completed.
- Have fun playing. Winning or losing is just the outcome.

Any further questions please let me know.
Cheers,
Mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a bit of a long shot but i was wondering if anyone attending BGBTB would happen to have Caverna or Glass Road and was planning on bringing them along?

If so, & you are taking on all comers (or at least just me) please sign me up for a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woodenman wrote:
Its a bit of a long shot but i was wondering if anyone attending BGBTB would happen to have Caverna or Glass Road and was planning on bringing them along?

If so, & you are taking on all comers (or at least just me) please sign me up for a game!

Hi Phillip. I'd recommend using the BGBTB Auckland dance card in case someone picked them up at Essen: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164535/dance-card-board-ga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a really great time as always. I loved the achievements, means I will have a summary to tell my board-game-curious coworkers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kactus04 wrote:
Had a really great time as always. I loved the achievements, means I will have a summary to tell my board-game-curious coworkers

The achievements were a great idea - they were the brainchild of Sean (one of our helpers who couldn't make it to the event). I was really pleased to see gamers ticking boxes and claiming meeples!

Out of curiosity for myself, (and also for the benefit of those who didn't make it), which achievements did you unlock on the weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
Kactus04 wrote:

The achievements were a great idea - they were the brainchild of Sean (one of our helpers who couldn't make it to the event). I was really pleased to see gamers ticking boxes and claiming meeples!

Out of curiosity for myself, (and also for the benefit of those who didn't make it), which achievements did you unlock on the weekend?
I was only there on Sunday and didn't see anything to do with achievements - what were they all about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
Kactus04 wrote:

I was only there on Sunday and didn't see anything to do with achievements - what were they all about?

They were on the rear of the A5 information sheets. (The sheets that explained about how the flags work and had the schedule on them.)

They were just-for-fun achievements you could unlock by doing different tasks, such as meeting new people, playing in a co-operative game, or playing a game with Martin Wallace. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
New Plymouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
Kactus04 wrote:

Friends: 7
Fun: 11
Sage: 4
Experiment: 9
Boom: 2
Shiny: 3 (actually 13)
Schooled: 3 (5)
Traitor: 1
New Ground: 0
Frisky: 2
Oh So Close: 1
Roll Off: 1
Commitment: 1
Stand By Me: 0

Next time:

Play with a board game designer?
Playtest a prototype?
Play with *a new person
Play a Cthulhu themed game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
scwont wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
Kactus04 wrote:

They were on the rear of the A5 information sheets. (The sheets that explained about how the flags work and had the schedule on them.)

They were just-for-fun achievements you could unlock by doing different tasks, such as meeting new people, playing in a co-operative game, or playing a game with Martin Wallace. thumbsup
Ah ok. I didn't get one of those information sheets at all.

In any case, fun event as always - I just wish I'd been able to make it along for longer than half a day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a great time last weekend playing a slew of old and new games. Thank you very much to David and the team for organising a great event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
scwont wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
Kactus04 wrote:

Ah ok. I didn't get one of those information sheets at all.

In any case, fun event as always - I just wish I'd been able to make it along for longer than half a day!

Thanks! Good to know - we'll do that better next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
Kactus04 wrote:

Friends: Learned 9+ new names
Fun: Played 12 different games
Sage: Taught 5 games
Experiment: Learned 9+ new games
Boom: Played 2 rounds of 2 Rooms and a Boom
Shiny: Brought home 2 new things
'Schooled': Played 3+ games with Martin Wallace
Frisky: Made meeple babies in 2 games
Roll Off: Duelled someone with the giant foam die
Commitment: Played in a 3+ hour game

The only problem was that I didn't exactly get schooled by Martin, I did better than him in 3 of the 4 games we played Though to be fair they were all learning games for all involved. Also Nathan was cheating by adding extra meeples to his achievements, I tried to tell him that that isn't how it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're keen to know what games were played, so please tell us!

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/165787/games-played-at-bgb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Achievements:

Friends: Learned 9+ new names
Fun: Played 12 different games
Sage: Taught 6 games
Experiment: Learned 3 new games
Boom: Played 2 rounds of 2 Rooms and a Boom
Shiny: Brought home 2 new things
'New Ground': Played 1 game with no people I had played with before
'Oh So Close': Was part of a tiebreaker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.