Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Sokolov
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Help me settle a dispute with my friend.

The Northman army in Dale moves south. An Easterling army captures Dale but then leaves (but they still have “captured” the Dale region). The Northmen are activated and advanced on the Political Track, but they are still not yet At War. Can they retake Dale?

The rules just say that non-belligerent nations can not enter another nation's borders, but that doesn't apply, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Brakmann
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that nations currently not at war may not attack enemy armies (but may fight back if attacked).

Since there is no army in Dale in your scenario, I'd say that you are allowed to retake it, since that move would not violate any of the restrictions placed on a nation currently not at war (I looked it up in the 2nd Edition rulebook, but I do not think that it changed since 1st edition).

For completeness sake, the restrictions are:

- May not enter other nations borders
- May not attack enemy armies
- May not muster (except by cards)

The rules as written do not support any claim that you (or your friend) may not retake Dale as long as there is no army there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Brakmann
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked the CE rulebook: The wording is the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf B
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 27 of the 2e rules states:

Quote:
- Any region entered by a moving Army must be either a free region (see Free Regions, on page 10) or an enemy-controlled Settlement that is free of enemy Army units. These are known as “regions that are free for the purpose of Army movement”.
— If a region is occupied by enemy units, it cannot be entered but must be attacked (see page 28).

So in your case Dale is free for the purpose of Army movement and though not at war, my read is that the North may still cross its own border back into Dale.

Just make sure you activated the North and advanced the North twice on the Political Track: once for the attack on Dale and a second time when the Easterlings troops entered Dale and captured it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Sokolov
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks, guys.

Rafamir wrote:
Just make sure you activated the North and advanced the North twice on the Political Track: once for the attack on Dale and a second time when the Easterlings troops entered Dale and captured it.

No, there was no attack on Dale — the defending army had previously moved out. So the North was only advanced once for having their City captured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.