tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Budny
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. Am I wrong? Paper money? Euro? Why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a tough time grokking these rules for some reason. I guess I'll wait for a video review

Looking forward to a new bigger Knizia game; it's been a while since he's put out something of this magnitude, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is pretty simple, but some good trade offs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Furan wrote:
Ugh. Am I wrong? Paper money? Euro? Why?

Because every self-respecting gamer has a decent set of mini-poker chips they'll use instead anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, seems pretty simple. I was hoping for something a little more meaty, given the pedigree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knizia has only done meaty once with Tigris and Euphrates and possibly Stephenson's Rocket. So this is about what I expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Knizia has only done meaty once with Tigris and Euphrates and possibly Stephenson's Rocket. So this is about what I expected.
I'd call Amun-Re at least as meaty as T&E. But I agree with your point, that Knizia had a brief time where he made a few meaty games, otherwise he makes lighter ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly Knizia hasn't done anything remotely meaty since 2008's Municipium (that's all I meant by meaty), but it's not just Knizia, it's Bleasdale (Keyflower, On The Underground) and Ystari. And in a big box (it appears -- but maybe that's a bad assumption).

The flame of hope that Knizia will one day again delight gamers is never extinguished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that I'm disappointed with the depth (although it is a bit lighter than I'd hoped) as much as I'm disappointed by the lack of player interaction. T&E, TtD, Samurai, and Qin (all I can think of off the top of my head) are highly interactive. This feels much more like solo optimization. Sure, I can take a tile you need, but that's about it.

While I only know Bleasdale from Keyflower, that was also much more interactive.

I'd still like to try it, but the probability of buying it has gone down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Certainly Knizia hasn't done anything remotely meaty since 2008's Municipium (that's all I meant by meaty), but it's not just Knizia, it's Bleasdale (Keyflower, On The Underground) and Ystari. And in a big box (it appears -- but maybe that's a bad assumption).

The flame of hope that Knizia will one day again delight gamers is never extinguished.

I haven't played it, but someone else mentioned that Municipium was a pretty good analog for Prosperity. Players jockey with one another in order to position themselves to benefit from a series of in-game scoring rounds.

I don't expect it to be any lighter than, say, Ginkgopolis from last year's fair (and frankly I think the scoring-timing and board-management aspects will prove more meaty than that in actual play).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I'm not sure that I'm disappointed with the depth (although it is a bit lighter than I'd hoped) as much as I'm disappointed by the lack of player interaction.

This was my reaction too Jimmy. I got a horrible whiff of Power Grid: Factory Manager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:
I'm not sure that I'm disappointed with the depth (although it is a bit lighter than I'd hoped) as much as I'm disappointed by the lack of player interaction.

This was my reaction too Jimmy. I got a horrible whiff of Power Grid: Factory Manager.

Well, at least it isn't another celtis/lost cities spin off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
I got a horrible whiff of Power Grid: Factory Manager.

In that case I'd better not tell you that when I playtested it was known as "the Power Game".
(But it is actually a completely different take on such from anything FF has done)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just read the rules and, to be honest, I'm pretty disappointed. My expectations stem not from Knizia but from Bleasdale. After last year's Keyflower I was expecting something more... Interesting.

I guess the proof will be in the playing but I'm certainly not rushing out for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
qwertymartin wrote:
I got a horrible whiff of Power Grid: Factory Manager.

In that case I'd better not tell you that when I playtested it was known as "the Power Game".
(But it is actually a completely different take on such from anything FF has done)

2F. When Reiner was considering publishers, I was only half joking when I suggested 2F. (Yes, I know they've only ever published Friedemann's games.)

A few modifications since I last played it (easy and hard boards most obviously). I seem to have played it more than Andy as I have slipped into the credits list. But there are others there who will have done a lot more than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:
I'd call Amun-Re at least as meaty as T&E.

And more. Lord of the Rings (especially expanded). Blue Moon. I'd put Medici in contention.

And quite a lot more that may not quite be E&T, but are significant. Just to name a few: Beowulf (the good one), Traumfabrik, Blue Moon City. And Prosperity.

And how heavy is Die Letze Paradis? I've still never played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a difference between significant and heavy, at least in my mind. There's plenty of Knizia's that are significant that aren't heavy, such as Lost Cities or Through the Desert.

I always thought this would be a Knizia type game, much more than an R&D Key style game, so the rules don't surprise me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj Mahal is as meaty as Euphrat. I could possibly think of some more post AM coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJWonderboy wrote:
Just read the rules and, to be honest, I'm pretty disappointed.

One less game to check out... Very basic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
There is a difference between significant and heavy, at least in my mind. There's plenty of Knizia's that are significant that aren't heavy, such as Lost Cities or Through the Desert.

Well, I'm not sure what "significant" means. Lost Cities is certainly nothing like what I was thinking of when I said heavy. Although heavy is a spectrum, of course, and again, I'm just talking about on the heavier side... for Knizia. Even something like Traumfabrik or Beowulf (The Legend) would be fabulous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like what I see in the rules. I prefer low/subtle/indirect interaction, so it's fine on that score. I can see where there would be some interesting decisions.

In the Knizia world that I know, it reminds me a bit of Ra, although without the bidding. But I prefer Ra Dice over Ra anyway, so the lack of auctions is fine with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
And how heavy is Die Letze Paradis? I've still never played it.

Not very. I suspect one reason it appears never to have been very popular is that it's a fairly light, short game in a large expensive package.

That being said, I like the game and am surprised that Knizia has never sold it to anyone for a new, smaller edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.