Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your thoughts please. And perhaps an official ruling from Phil?

If I am teaching HF and only want to use the base game do you think I should incorporate the 3D printer rules that allows several black cards from a single factory?

Poll
Should 3D printers be used when playing the Basic game?
Yes
No
      21 answers
Poll created by taragalinas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might already be an official change in the base game too. I just want to make sure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try to keep the rules as consistent as possible - this would also mean having Income as 2WT, colourless hand cards, two outposts, a big Freighter cube and Free Market at 4WT.

This does change the dynamics of the game significantly. You may prefer it one way or the other, but if you're teaching the game with the intention of eventually getting to all of the toys, then this is what I would suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted yes following the same logic as Dom. Any imbalance this may introduce you will have to take for granted until you move on to the full game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
I would try to keep the rules as consistent as possible - this would also mean having Income as 2WT, colourless hand cards, two outposts, a big Freighter cube and Free Market at 4WT.

All of these changes seems to be incorporated in the new "Alive" rules recently posted.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
I'm late, but using the 3D printer rules makes the D sites useless (No cards) or ridiculously overpowered (Keeping them wild). I'm assume you're talking about the Basic Game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
TGLS wrote:
I'm late, but using the 3D printer rules makes the D sites useless (No cards) or ridiculously overpowered (Keeping them wild). I'm assume you're talking about the Basic Game, though.
There's no reason you can't keep them wild in a basic game. Just pick which letter they'll be when the factory is established (or at least when the first black card is produced) and lock that in for the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Sure, but the bookkeeping gets difficult at that point. i.e. a player with two D sites will have quite a bit of difficulty (Was that the M-D site or the V-D site?). The overpowered part I was referencing was letting the D sites be wild in any case (Woo! I can build everything here!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
TGLS wrote:
Sure, but the bookkeeping gets difficult at that point. i.e. a player with two D sites will have quite a bit of difficulty (Was that the M-D site or the V-D site?). The overpowered part I was referencing was letting the D sites be wild in any case (Woo! I can build everything here!).
Having multiple D sites is a rarity, especially in the basic game, but if it comes up or becomes an issue you can put down an extra marker or something to indicate the permanent letter. That, or force the player to use the same letter for all D sites they own.

Being able to build everything regardless of letter at a single D site would be massively overpowered - that why I was suggesting a middle-ground solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/15/european-space-agency-3d-...

"3D printing gets metal with European Space Agency's AMAZE project"

By Melissa Grey posted Oct 15th, 2013 at 3:49 PM

If you're invested in the future of 3D printing, the London Science Museum was the place to be today, as the European Space Agency and its partners hosted a consortium to celebrate the launch of the AMAZE project. AMAZE, which stands for Additive Manufacturing Aiming Towards Zero Waste & Efficient Production of High-Tech Metal Products (we guess AMATZWEPHMP just didn't have the same ring to it), is a joint effort to take the next logical step in the evolution of 3D printing: manufacturing metal parts.

At today's event, components made of tungsten alloy were a particular highlight, as the extremely high temperatures such material can withstand (up to 3,000 degrees Celsius) would make them ideal for use in spacecraft and nuclear fusion environments. The process of 3D printing metal would also allow engineers to design beyond the limits of traditional metal casting, as seen in the Airbus hinges above. If your consortium invitation got lost in the mail, fear not. The museum's exhibit will be open to the public until July of next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.