United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
This just seems so wrong. Unpaid interns are probably the most vulnerable members of the workforce, because they are unlikely complain about anything as they are trying to get their careers moving in the right direction. This sets them up to become the victims of predators in the workforce.

http://www.propublica.org/article/how-unpaid-interns-arent-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is disgusting. It's clear to me that interns should have the same legal protections as any otehr worker (and volunteers to, and I know of some places that do give unpaid workers the same rights as paid workers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another unnecessary regulation and empowerment of big fluffy bunny government, when in fact nobody would be working for sexual deviants in a free market economy. Obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously this is the correct way to do things. In order for a citizen to accept their role in society of worshiping at the altar of free market economy it is necessary to break their spirits early on. After all this great nation has fought long hard to establish such a system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Did we learn nothing from Bill and Monica?

I don't share your former pres' taste in women? America want to behead their president because he got a blowjob? Bill Clinton is a criminal because he does not want to give a detailed account of his sex experiences? There is more that one way to use a cigar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
what do i need to do to get me some unpaid interns?
they sound like fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
they sound like fun!

Again someone posts something like this - a "joke" where the "funny" part is about how nudge-nudge-wink-wink it would be just great if all us neanderthal males could just go out and forcibly fuck who we wanted and didn't have to worry about those pesky laws against force and coercion.

To save everyone time, we need a concise standardised response that makes it clear that:
1) this is not funny,
2) it's one more exhibit of how widespread, pervasive and culturally accepted this "humour" is, even among people who see nothing offensive and may even be otherwise nice guys
3) We don't want to have this debate again (you know, the one in which a few people loudly assert their right to not be thought boorish when they act boorishly) every time something inane is said along the same lines.

I propose the simple response: "Gary?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be insensitive to point out that unpaid interns probably can't afford a lawyer to bring suit anyway?

This does seem like a loophole begging to be corrected, although there are probably reasons that it exists. If unpaid interns can sue, then volunteers might be able to and then it would become really easy to shut down non-profits by forcing them to defend against frivolous lawsuits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
America want to behead their president because he got a blowjob?

I will forgive your lack of understanding on this because you are from Germany. He was never threatened to be beheaded. He did however lie under oath as the commander in chief, which if allowed to pass without getting impeachment would have allowed future presidents to simply lie under oath without repercussions.

the uninformed people in the USA think he was impeached for having an affair, when in fact that was not the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
HavocIsHere wrote:

I will forgive your lack of understanding on this because you are from Germany.

Lol wut?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
HavocIsHere wrote:
*stuff that doesn't matter for present purposes*

I will forgive your lack of understanding on this because you are from Germany. He was never threatened to be beheaded....

LOL

I will let the proud Belgian respond properly to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
the uninformed people in the USA think he was impeached for having an affair, when in fact that was not the reason.

True. He was impeached because he was a Democrat and the GOP controlled the House.

We see echoes of this in the number of GOP Congressmen who have either endorsed impeaching Obama or at least expressed positive sentiments towards it, without even the pretense of an actual crime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
HavocIsHere wrote:

I will forgive your lack of understanding on this because you are from Germany.

Lol wut?

same difference !

you will need to see a previous exchange between him and I to understand why that is funny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
hsquid wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
they sound like fun!

Again someone posts something like this - a "joke" where the "funny" part is about how nudge-nudge-wink-wink it would be just great if all us neanderthal males could just go out and forcibly fuck who we wanted and didn't have to worry about those pesky laws against force and coercion.

To save everyone time, we need a concise standardised response that makes it clear that:
1) this is not funny,
2) it's one more exhibit of how widespread, pervasive and culturally accepted this "humour" is, even among people who see nothing offensive and may even be otherwise nice guys
3) We don't want to have this debate again (you know, the one in which a few people loudly assert their right to not be thought boorish when they act boorishly) every time something inane is said along the same lines.

never heard of "subversive affirmation" or "over-idenification", have you?
Interesting though that you find only a single way to interpret my comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
hsquid wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
they sound like fun!

1) this is not funny,

Where's that eye-rolling emoticon?

EDIT:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
whac3 wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
hsquid wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
they sound like fun!

1) this is not funny,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
whac3 wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
hsquid wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
they sound like fun!

1) this is not funny,

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
Would it be insensitive to point out that unpaid interns probably can't afford a lawyer to bring suit anyway?

This does seem like a loophole begging to be corrected, although there are probably reasons that it exists. If unpaid interns can sue, then volunteers might be able to and then it would become really easy to shut down non-profits by forcing them to defend against frivolous lawsuits.
Well, maybe there should be a measure against frivolous lawsuits in place too. I don't know. Just a thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melface McPuggins
United States
Winooski
Vermont
flag msg tools
mb
Unfortunately, any sort of proposal for a measure against a "frivolous" lawsuit would be a battle in itself. Either by people actually concerned about what may be and what may not be labeled frivolous and/or by people who think the idea is ridiculous in its entirety and wish to show so by pressing the matter that how do you really know that your boss isn't looking at your butt while you bend over to tie your shoe?

It's extremely unfortunate, but seen as a not-problem by too many to have anything done about it soon. Hopefully something can be changed to at least extend laws against sexual harassment in the work place to extend to all employees and volunteers paid or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Did we learn nothing from Bill and Monica?
Did he make a complaint?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
hsquid wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
they sound like fun!

1) this is not funny,

Given the context of the debate it would be hard to think you mean anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.