Septikon: Uranium Wars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How to defend against laser rush? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrey Mikhaylov
Russia
flag msg tools
Hi.

I've played over 10 rounds now and i am discouraged to learn that there's a single strategy that dominates this game.

If the dice let you have two aimers located closer to the center of the map quicker than your opponent does, then you can simply burn all your energy into shooting lasers, inflicting up to 10 damage and blocking half of your opponents warehouses.

Lasers are instant, they never hit twice into the same spot (unlike rockets, termite bombs and drones), predictable and impossible to counter. So whoever manages to use them first always wins.

I can't think of any strategy against a player who is lucky to laser-rush before you do. Can you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stutz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I've only gotten to play a couple of times, but every one of the games was won by lasers as well. Also, everyone I've played with thinks the lasers are overpowered so I think I am going to modify the rules so that the energy shield takes up three horizontal spaces instead of just the one. Should make them more useful while helping to stop the laser rush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it myself, but it seems odd that a game that has been around, ableit only in Russia, has such an obvious flaw if what you say is correct.

Looking forward to trying it myself. Seems like a simple enough thing to houserule in some fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timofey Bokarev
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
There are many strategies how you could successfully resist laser strategy of your opponent ...
The simplest solution is at the beginning of the game to place one of your clones in such way that he could activate a thermite mine with 3 on the die. It will let your gunners to block the enemies’ energy warehouses and destroy some energy resources.

One more thing to do is biodrones’ rush. Get two gunners and send two biordones ASAP and then two more biodrones. You opponent just won’t have any time to shoot from lasers as he should take care of his own defense.

Also you could make maneuvers with your gunners and shoot also lasers in response but not to burn deep to warehouses (what usually done with lasers) but damage battle zone in many places... you could block paths for opponents clones to lasers or even imprison some of them between damaged modules
There are also some additional variants but they depends on the specific of initial position of your opponents’ clones. Do not forget that it is also important to block uranium warehouse, 10 energy is not enough to win the battle with lasers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaycee Skyhawkk
msg tools
sidusov wrote:
Also you could make maneuvers with your gunners and shoot also lasers in response but not to burn deep to warehouses (what usually done with lasers) but damage battle zone in many places... you could block paths for opponents clones to lasers or even imprison some of them between damaged modules
There are also some additional variants but they depends on the specific of initial position of your opponents’ clones. Do not forget that it is also important to block uranium warehouse, 10 energy is not enough to win the battle with lasers.

I agree here. My first strategy is to get my gunners as close to, if not on, the laser position and fire a few shots till it is destroyed, then move on to my BioDrone strategy. If the opponent relies on laser rush, they will have to spend turns getting to other laser squares, or repairing it, using up the energy in the process.

While they are doing that, I get my nukes ready and shoot off a few rockets. If they decide to do a new strategy instead of repairing, you've given yourself a few extra turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to try it out a few more times but I feel like the laser strategy is too strong as well.

A lot of its effectiveness is how common it is for drones to land on the various Laser modules. I may want to go biodrome strat but if I don't land on the spaces I'm out of luck and the biodrome resource is only the second resource so it can even get cut off before you get a chance to launch any at all.

There is just too many laser modules, too much energy at the start, energy is an easy resource to get back, and laser shields are a joke.

I think if the amount of lasers and rocket modules switched or maybe 8 rocket and 6 laser. Then also switching the amount of Rocket and energy resource you have. Rockets are much more interesting because you actually have some time to react to them and set up some sort of counter play.

I'll give it a few more plays though, hopefully other strategies will be viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, lasers are certainly tough and are responsible for a lot of the tempo of the game. Anyone can blast lasers so long as they have energy so laser fire tends to be a constant threat that you have to negotiate.

Attacking the opponents energy/metal warehouse with Thermites is a just as nasty. Its almost a race to see whether the laser guy takes out the biofuel before the thermites wreck the Energy/Metal supply.

I think this makes early Thermite bombs a really important point when thinking about early set up. Being 3 from one of the Thermite Modules and a deep center gunner is an important requirement when looking to protect against a laser rush.

Depending on where the fire is coming from you might look to make him spend energy and then shut down his energy, launching a counter biodrone/missile attack.

I certainly don't think that lasers are the be all and end all but unless you attack his energy warehouses or laser modules they will be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Watts
United Kingdom
Southwell
Notts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deploying shields seems like a very expensive option in contrast to attacking with lasers etc.

A compromise might be to allow deployment of two shields rather than one for every energy spent. If the second shield is placed to the left or right of the first then this could plug a gap through which the opponent was just repeatedly firing off lasers without risking losing a gunner.

This action is less powerful than the R & D card which deploys 3 shields per energy and, I think, creates a fairer balance between lasers and shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.