Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a pretty big fan of John Kovalic's art work. I'm curiuos if there are any other well known artists who do board game art. Most board games never even mention the artist but games that feature Kovalic's work have a line like, "featuring the artwork of John Kovalic!!".

I honestly can't recall any other time when a game descriptions mentions the artist.

Looking forward to Mag-Blast 3rd with Kovalic's art too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Siebel
Germany
Schwalbach
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Blue Moon sets always specifiy the artist who has created the set, starting with Franz Vohwinkel for the Hoax set. Franz Vohwinkel is also cited by Phalanx games for many artworks, e.g. the design of Age of Napoleon and A House divided (seems it's him who invented the 18 stripe star spangled banner ).
Eagle games always makes big points out of Paul Niemeyer drawing the boards and cards
(Attack!,Napoleon in Europe,Sid Meyer's Civilization ...). They make it sound like he is a known artist, does anyone know what he is doing besides Eagle's games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Redmond Simonsen maps on the SPI games sprang to mind. Ok more a designer or graphic artist as opposed to artist maybe, but was still the first thing I thought of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Stangl
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
winkel designs many games, especially for Kosmos IIRC. Like the Settlers graphics, but also for some of the 2 player games, Babel if I'm not mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Clarke
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Doris Matthaus.

Ark, Elefenroads,Mu etc etc

Garry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doris also made the graphics for St. Petersburg and Carcassone.
A (maybe uncomplete) list ist at:
http://doris-frank.de/dartwork_de.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
John Howe did the artwork for many of the Lord of the Rings games/expansions. He's pretty well known and of course his portfolio spans other areas as well.

http://www.john-howe.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Weisner
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Have to agree with Fraser, 'Red' was the first name to pop in my head. Though the artwork today is fancier, Simonsen did a lot of good and groundbreaking work. He is missed.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László K.
United States
Hopatcong
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our fellow BGG-er Craig Grando (http://www.craiggrando.com) does excellent work as well.

In addition to his free-lance work, his work appears regularly to the quarterly wargame magazine called Against the Odds (http://www.atomagazine.com). (I believe that he is the art director for the periodical.) He designs the great looking maps as well as the innovative counters that come with each issue.

Just my 2 cents. Good gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Tzanerakis
Greece
Athens
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to add two of my favourites, Angus McBride and Christopher Moeller.
Angus is more famous for his Osprey Publishing work, he has done a lot of interior artwork for several of their books and specializes in ancient and medieval themes. He has also done work for the first Middle Earth CCG.
Chris is more of a comicbook artist, having written and drawn two JLA graphic novels, as well as a Sci-Fi series, Iron Empires (which so far comprises of two limited series, Faith Conquers and Sheeva's War). He's more well known as a cover artis, his works are too numerous to mention here. His latest gaming related work are all the box covers for the collectible miniatures Axis and Allies game. Furthermore, he's a Grognard as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodger MacGowan used to do a lot of wargame art back in the day and as far as I know is still active. His usual approach was rather collage-like; two fine examples off the top of my head are the boxes for Days Of Decision and The Guns Of August.
But the best example of his work? It's my avatar, from the cover of Panzer Pranks.
I once showed this picture to a friend and identified it as MacGowan's best work. He whined: "But they've got their clothes on--"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.