Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't really a rules question. I'd just like to prompt a discussion of the corruption mechanic. I just finished read the rules.

Cards are approximately 50/50 face up/down. You are going to have to draw some face down cards over the course of the game. Some of them will be tainted. If you use a tainted card (in most cases) you earn corruption. If you don't use them (in most cases) you get corruption at the end of the game.

There are 2 ways to offset this: if another player uses an Envoy you can possibly dump your corruption on him, and you can enclose areas and claim them with Anubis to cancel out corruption at the end.

It seems like the amount of corruption you get is mostly chance. So that whoever happens to draw the most (face down) corruption is at a large disadvantage, and must exert a lot of effort to mitigate it, while those who are lucky can just ignore it. Obviously, face up corruption is your own choice (just like in Ra).

What forces are there to balance out this potentially uneven distribution of corruption? Maybe it's not such a big deal. Maybe it's even enough, and it all comes down to how greedy you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Jim

i think maybe you'll have to try the game before having definitive conclusion..

You have ather possibilities to avoid corruption:
- first, you have the grand priest.... the one who bids the most gold loses 3 corruption amulettes..
- secondly, if you have too much tainted cards in your hand, just draw a big market stall: you will have more than 10 cards in your hand... and, for only one corruption amulette, you will be able to dicard many of your tainted cards !!

an other thing is that ok, cards are mixed half fac up, and half face down.. but you will see that some draw piles are competly face up... so drawing face down cards is a risk.. but a choice !

thank you for your interest about this game
bruno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes! You can dump a whole bunch at once by drawing big piles of cards. And, of course, the priest. All in all, I think your options do balance the luck of drawing a handful of corruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Just
United States
Yorba LInda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve only read the rules too but this game seems to have a really Settlers of Catan flavor for me without the die but with the added heartache of the corruption. Grab resource cards to build improvements. Trade cards with the Sobeks dudes. There’s a big bonus for building multiples of improvements. I don’t think anyone will build one sphinx for instance. Get lots of talents. Then get rid of the corruption with help of the priests. It has the incredible production value instead of the wood bits. I am now looking forward to this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Ken

it can be sometime intereting to build a single sphinx... if it allows you to build the third element giving you the +5 bonus !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The corrupted recources are worth double, so you should be able to get more money (talents) from their use, and then be able to bid higher for the priest and get rid of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget it's a blind biding...
that means that you can't be sure to be the highest bider... for that, you thent need to spend a lot of gold talents.. and these are victory points !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joltin' Joe
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another way to get rid of corruption is to build sanctuaries in the gardens. One amulette is placed there for each square of sanctuary you managed to claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.