Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Christmas holiday 2008 we had some plans; my son was going to take the subway across town & meet up with me and my brother-in-law Mike at the office where I worked. Mike was then going to drive us north to my sisters where we would spend the holidays with several of my siblings & their families. Well, that year the plan didn't go just as expected, my son ended up being very late. Mike & I had to wait for what ended up to be over 3 hours for him. We spent the time in a pub near the office talking and I was really kind-of angry with my son.

Well, not long after that, in January (2009), my boss called me into her office. She had to let me know that the funding for my job had been cut. I was a temp employee at that time. So I was basically done. I went home feeling sorry for myself, thinking I was having a bad day. However then I got a phone call that gave me real perspective on what was important. It was another sibling calling to inform me that Mike had just passed away from a massive heart attack. Losing my job suddenly didn't seem all that important.

Mike was a great guy and I still miss him. That three hours I got to hang out & shoot the breeze with Mike that December turned out to be a blessing I didn't appreciate at the time. Oh, and that job I lost; another department in the company offered me a regular position when they learned I was available, so that situation turned out to be a promotion.

Well, I got some bad news today about a friend who's sick. At the moment I'm not sure what's going to happen, but I'm reminded of that 3 hours I got to spend with Mike.

So do me a huge favor. Find some one you care about; your kid, your parent, your spouse, your sibling, and play a board game. Have fun. Enjoy the time you have together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Billythehut wrote:
So do me a huge favor. Find some one you care about; your kid, your parent, your spouse, your sibling, and play a board game. Have fun. Enjoy the time you have together.

I'd give a lot to do this with a specific someone right now. Good advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, it's not absolutely necessary to play a game with him/her. Just spend time, or give a hug, or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just learned recently that my friend died. He was the most gregarious and happy person I have ever known. I consider myself lucky that I got to have lunch with him recently. We both work at IBM and he was laid off recently. So he was spending a lot of time recently adventuring to different places and I had to pester him repeatedly to meet up with me. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
I got some bad news today about a friend who's sick. At the moment I'm not sure what's going to happen

I found out this morning my buddy didn't make it through the night. He passed away early today. Didn't even get the chance to pay him a goodbye visit.

Seriously people, I'm not just saying enjoy the time you have with those you care about, I'm saying make the time! Don't let the busy nitty grittiness of life get in the way of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
Billythehut wrote:
Billythehut wrote:
I got some bad news today about a friend who's sick. At the moment I'm not sure what's going to happen

I found out this morning my buddy didn't make it through the night. He passed away early today. Didn't even get the chance to pay him a goodbye visit.

Seriously people, I'm not just saying enjoy the time you have with those you care about, I'm saying make the time! Don't let the busy nitty grittiness of life get in the way of that.

This happened to us too. A coworker/friend had been ill, and we all had an opportunity or two to hang out with him during some tough months but when we heard that he had been readmitted to the hospital, one of our friends was out of town. We decided to wait a couple of days for her to return in order to visit him all together. Alas, he did not make it that long, so we all missed the opportunity to see him one last time. I still kick myself for not just going in spite of the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To follow up, the buddy I mentioned above who was ill and passed away was also a member of BGG. In fact he was the person who introduced me to BGG. Mostly here I believe he was know for his podcast. He was Jeff from the Gameopolis podcast.

I didn't mention his name earlier because I expected Mark would be posting a message on Gameopolis about this. He has now done so: A Message from Mark

Jeff is gone now, but at least you can hear him on the Gameopolis archives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.