Stephen Brown
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Link to script: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By8KC_x2OF9YYm95QVUzbWppZkU...

Hello fellow geeks. I am pretty obsessive-compulsive when it comes to organizing things and I like DIY anything, so it was only a matter of time before I needed to make some tuckboxes for my board game cards. I am also a compulsive sleever and the main problem that I have with most tuckboxes out there is that I am never sure if they will fit with the particular sleeves that I have chosen for a particular game. I like to use the gimp for my image editing as it is free, open source, and very capable. However, as many of you know, making good looking tuckboxes from scratch is time consuming, hence my need for this script. Quite simply, it automates all the tedious tasks of calculating the box dimensions and getting the box ready for art.

In its current state, the script can create either one piece or two piece boxes. The one piece boxes are modeled after the box of Bicycle playing cards, which glue on the two sides, as opposed to the bottom and one side. I find this to be the best finished box and since I like horizontal tuckboxes for sleeved cards, it allows for the largest box size to fit on one page. The two piece box glues on the two sides and the bottom and has similar features to the one piece box.

I don't intend to cover how to make a tuckbox in general, as there are already several excellent tutorials on this site. I also do not intend to cover image editing or how to use the gimp, but I think that this script helps to keep the prerequisite knowledge to a minimum while maintaining lots of flexibility.

Features:
one piece or two piece boxes
portrait or landscape orientation of cards
layer masks to help add art
solid lines for cuts, dotted lines for folds
angled and offset edges make box come together cleanly

How to Use:
1) Download and install the gimp
2) Download the script from https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By8KC_x2OF9YYm95QVUzbWppZkU...
3) Save the script in your scripts folder, wherever that is for your operating system. On linux, it is ~/.gimp-2.8/scripts. Instructions here: http://www.mahvin.com/2009/09/gimp-how-to-install-scripts-pl....
4) Measure the deck that you are making the box for and add a little wiggle room for the box inside dimensions
5) Select the color you want the outline to be drawn as the foreground color
6) Run the script by doing File->Create->Tuck Box
7) Enter the box dimensions and type in the dialog. Click OK and watch the magic.
8) Add the box art onto the appropriate layers
9) Print, cut out, glue, etc...
10) Stare at tuck box instead of playing game

I hope this helps someone out there. I have worked hard on it and it has been really useful for me as I make my tuckboxes. Also, I am sure there are bugs here and there and I will try to fix them as they are found. If you do use it, post a quick message and let me know!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great !! I'll use that !

I don't really see how I should use the two piece boxes ?whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brown
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
courtjus wrote:
Great !! I'll use that !

I don't really see how I should use the two piece boxes ?whistle

Two piece boxes are useful for when the box is too big to print on one page, either because the cards are big or the stack is tall (or both).

Let me know how it works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, now THAT is brilliant! Thank you for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brown
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I updated the script today with some bug fixes, mainly related to drawing boxes with small depth. I also added some centerline guides to make it easier to center logos on the main sides of the box.

I will try to add a screenshot or two as well as share some of the tuckboxes I have made on the forums for their respective games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
a valiant, pungent reindeer king
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this! It's really great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
So I found this and wanted to start trying it out. I noticed that there were 5 horizontal fold lines and I can't for the life of me figure out how the 3rd fold line from the top is supposed to work.

I really want to use this but I don't understand how to fold this. Can someone help me out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brown
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools

I assume this is the fold that you are talking about. It is intended to be bent backwards and provides a larger opening for sliding the cards into the box. I usually fold it both directions so that it hinges easily.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Keukelaar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just spent an evening making tuckboxes for TtR:E with your script. Works great! One suggestion for an improvement: Let me choose DPI, so I can use higher-resolution images, if I want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Reade
Australia
Brunswick, Melbourne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What weight (i.e. GSM) paper do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Reade
Australia
Brunswick, Melbourne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for ...

8) Add the box art onto the appropriate layers

Is there a trick to do this? I'm having trouble getting this to work (using paint brush and bucket fill so far). I'm a relative GIMP noob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Keukelaar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used 300 gsm paper, which was thick enough. Unfortunately it is quite matte paper, so I think there is some bleeding of the ink going on, making the art less crisp than it could be.

I discovered that after you run the script, the generated layers are set to edit the layer mask. That's why you don't see anything when you start drawing. To fix that, go to the layers window, right click on the relevant layer, and uncheck edit layer mask. (Or whatever the proper strings are in an English UI.)

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brown
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
DrJones42 wrote:
I just spent an evening making tuckboxes for TtR:E with your script. Works great! One suggestion for an improvement: Let me choose DPI, so I can use higher-resolution images, if I want to.

Sorry for the delayed reply. The DPI is set as a constant in one of the first few lines in the script. You should be able to change it to whatever you want quite easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Anne
France
Chelles
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DrJones42 wrote:

Would it be possible to have a link to a printable file ? Your boxes are very nice and I'm in the mood to pimp my game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Keukelaar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101693/tuckboxes-with-arca...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Anne
France
Chelles
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a lot (and oops ... I may have check in the file section ... sorry for my lazyness)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is excellent, but I'm running into a problem.

I want to create tuckboxes for the tiny cards in Descent 2e, I measured:

42 x 66 x 4 mm

But anything thinner than 7 mm gives me an error

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brown
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
dwjmeijer wrote:

42 x 66 x 4 mm

Hmm, I will have to look into that. I'm guessing it is because the side flaps have a dimension larger than that but also there are some angles that make the box easier to fold that are a couple of mm. I am on my phone so I will have to check later.

On the other hand, a 4 mm thick box will be both extremely difficult to glue and to open and close. How many cards are in the stack? I would suggest hugo's amazing tape as a possible alternative...

Thank you for pointing out the error and I will try to upload a modified script in the next day or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blutdi09 wrote:
dwjmeijer wrote:

42 x 66 x 4 mm

Hmm, I will have to look into that. I'm guessing it is because the side flaps have a dimension larger than that but also there are some angles that make the box easier to fold that are a couple of mm. I am on my phone so I will have to check later.

On the other hand, a 4 mm thick box will be both extremely difficult to glue and to open and close. How many cards are in the stack? I would suggest hugo's amazing tape as a possible alternative...

Thank you for pointing out the error and I will try to upload a modified script in the next day or two.

Thanks for the quick reply
There's 10-12 cards in a stack, probably 11 in the one I measured.
I think I probably wouldn't use a flap for these, but I'm new to tuckboxes and will have to experiment some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MyO the HedgeFox
Russia
flag msg tools
The Verse flows throughout Aquaria. Through each ripple and wave, through every living being, The Verse binds us all as one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really useful! Does it generate appropriate curves, too? =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brown
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
MyOtheHedgeFox wrote:
Really useful! Does it generate appropriate curves, too? =)

Yes, it generates everything you need and makes adding art very easy (assuming you have a basic understanding in the Gimp).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brown
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
I have uploaded a new version of the script that has some fixes and enhancements. The script should no longer give an error if you enter small box dimensions. I also added an option to choose between a few different shapes of the tuck feature for a little more control over the style and size of the box.

Unfortunately, the Gimp Plugin Registry does not seem to be accepting file uploads right now, so I have shared the file via Google Drive. The updated links are in the OP.

Please let me know if you manage to find a combination of options/dimensions that makes the script exit with an error! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blutdi09 wrote:
Please let me know if you manage to find a combination of options/dimensions that makes the script exit with an error! Thanks!

Gimp 2.8.10
Using default OR custom values, and one OR two piece box I get the following.

GIMP Message wrote:
TUCK BOX MESSSAGE

Error while executing script-fu-tuckbox:

Error: ( : 26123949) not enough arguments

The number seems to change when different values are entered in the dialog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brown
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
BigDumbYak wrote:
blutdi09 wrote:

Gimp 2.8.10

GIMP Message wrote:
TUCK BOX MESSSAGE

Hmm... I am not able to reproduce that error on Gimp 2.8.10 on Windows 7. The script seems to execute as expected.

What OS are you using? Have you tried to run any other scripts? I would like to try to help but I am not sure what to suggest...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blutdi09 wrote:
BigDumbYak wrote:
blutdi09 wrote:

Gimp 2.8.10

GIMP Message wrote:
TUCK BOX MESSSAGE

Hmm... I am not able to reproduce that error on Gimp 2.8.10 on Windows 7. The script seems to execute as expected.

What OS are you using? Have you tried to run any other scripts? I would like to try to help but I am not sure what to suggest...

Using WinXP SP3 ( I know, it's ancient)

all the stock scripts run fine, dont have anyother custom ones. I'll reinstall and try again tomorrow, and let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.