United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Puerto Rico is a great game. I love the interaction between the buildings, and the parts of the game. But I usually end up playing San Juan because it's shorter and more focused. I was thinking that one of the main differences is the Mayor, since everything has to have a colonist before it can be used.
That got me wondering if you could make the game work without the mayor role. Buildings would be active right away. Production would be limited to number of plantations and max out at the number of spaces on the production buildings, so you couldn't produce 3 coffee. University and Hospice would have to be replaced, of course.

Has anyone tried this? And hypothetically, Would it work? Would it speed up the game? And what other effects would this have? (Beside the effects of changing the number of roles available)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the game's end conditions would be invalidated, that of running out of colonists, so it may in fact result in a longer game under certain conditions.

Certain strategies would be weakened, such as rushing building construction and seeking an early game end through colonist depletion.

My advice - San Juan is a great game, so if you want to play San Juan, play San Juan. Puerto Rico is a remarkable creature. Best to play it as it is and appreciate the magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Stick with San Juan. Don't ruin Puerto Rico by gutting it. That would be like playing poker without the aces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's already been done, and to great effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.