MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf: Total Amnesia

Premise: A group of boat-wreck survivors have washed ashore a small island. The memories of the survivors have been affected by the disaster, so that none of them remember their full identities. Even the werewolves don't remember that they are wolves...

In this game, player roles will be assigned but will not be revealed to any player before the game. Essentially, every player will begin the game believing he or she is a vanillager.

Also prior to the game, every player will be "keyed" to another player in the game. Two players may be keyed to each other, or player A may be keyed to B and B keyed to C and C to D, and so on. These keys are not revealed to players.

Every night, the players will submit the name of another player they wish to "interact" with. This may be a live player or a player already deceased.

If a player happens to interact with the player he or she is keyed to, that player will have his or her memory jogged, and the player may be able to recall what his or her role is in the game.

If the player chooses a different player, other actions may occur but the player may not be aware of exactly what those actions are, until his or her memory returns.

- The seer player will get a revelation of any live player he or she interacts with. The revelation is either "wolf" or "not wolf".

- The priest player will get a revelation of any dead player he or she interacts with. The revelation is that person's exact role.

- The bodyguard player will protect any live player he or she interacts with. This prevents a wolf from successfully killing that player.

- Wolf players (2) will kill a player they target. If both wolves target the same live player, then that player is killed. If one targets a live player and one targets a dead player, the live player targeted is killed. If both target dead players, no kill is made. If both target different live players, one kill is chosen at random to take effect (this may or may not be the same person the bodyguard targets). If a wolf targets the other wolf, then the wolf's memory is recovered (same as if the wolf had interacted with his/her key player).

- The traitor player will get a revelation of a wolf or seer player that he/she interacts with, whether alive or dead. Wolves are revealed as "wolf", the cursed villager is revealed as "wolf" and seer is revealed as "seer." The traitor appears to the seer as "not wolf", but appears to the priest as "traitor".

- One cursed villager is infected with lycanthropy but is resistant to its effects; this player will appear to the seer as "wolf" but to the priest as "villager". If this player ever interacts with a deceased wolf, that player will learn of his infection if and when his memory is restored.

- All other "vanillager" players receive no information from their interactions.

The above roles are guaranteed to be in the game. There is one more special role that will be in the game; you will not know which it is, but it will be one of the following:

- Second Priest role (as the first priest, above)

- Medium role (in tune with the dead, once the player learns he or she has this role, may call for a seance to talk to deceased players - if this happens, the seance will last until the end of the day on which it is called)

- Hunter role (if alive with one wolf at game end, wins game for good, but MUST have recovered memory in order to use this ability)

The information above is NOT revealed to a player until he or she successfully interacts with his or her keyed player - it is stored away for later. Once a player succeeds in interacting with the correct key player, that player's memory is restored and information gained up to that point will be revealed to that player. From that point on, the player will play their remembered role as normal - the seer targets a player to view, the wolves target a player to kill, etc.

EXAMPLE 1: Melsana is the seer at the start of the game. Her interactions are Rostok on night 0, Dale on night 1, Xandryyte on night 2, and Kima (already killed) on Night 3. Through night 2, she receives no messages from the moderator. Kima, it turns out, is her key player. Her memory returns on night 3, and she receives from the moderator all her past night's visions: Rostok is not wolf, Dale is not wolf, Xandryyte is wolf. She does NOT receive a vision for Kima because, at the time she interacted with him, he was already deceased. On each subsequent night, Melsana will receive her seer vision as normal, and knows to target only live players.

EXAMPLE 2: Latria is a wolf at the start of the game. His interactions are Rostok on Night 0, Dale on Night 1, Xandryyte (deceased on Night 1) on Night 2, Kima on Night 3. Kima is his key person, and his memory returns. He learns nothing about Rostok, he learns that he failed to kill Dale on Night 1 (the other wolf therefore must have directed the kill that night), made no kill night 2 (because he targeted a deceased player), and killed Kima on night 3. Latria also learns that SeanP is the other wolf. When SeanP regains his memory, Latria will be able to PM with Sean. Until then, Latria simply knows not to target Sean at night (as this will NOT trigger Sean's memory, Sean must interact with Latria or his key person), but he might find a way to hint to Sean publicly that he ought to target Latria sometime.

Every day players will vote for lynch, per normal werewolf rules. Roles, obviously, are not revealed upon death. Ties will be broken by oldest standing vote rules.

At night, each player PMs the moderator with the name of a player to interact with. On night 0, everyone will interact with a randomly chosen person that is guaranteed to NOT permit memory restoration on Night 0. The wolves, rather than killing anyone they name, will kill the moderator, as usual in WW games.

- Wolves and traitor win if the wolves achieve parity with the good players. This win occurs even if the wolves don't yet remember they are wolves - they will remember once the victory is achieved.

- All other players win if the wolves are eliminated.

Special Rules for Wolves:
Initially, because the wolves do not know they are wolves, the two wolves do not begin the game with PM privileges. If a wolf has his or her memory jogged by interacting successfully with the correct key player, that player will learn he is a wolf and will learn which other player is the other wolf. Once both players recover their memory, they will be permitted to PM each other.

Also, if a wolf targets the other wolf at night, the first wolf will have his/her memory restored, as if he or she had interacted with the right key player. If they target each other at night... watch out village.

Players

Anonymouse512
BagpipeDan
bowman
dalestephenson
Denise
Farren
LudesFactor
Melissa
Rostok
RoyalFlush
SecretSauce
seppi
xandryyte

--------------

Night 0 actions and game start reminders are now being sent. The game will begin, and you may post, once the opening narrative is posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire... water... the screams of those burning or drowning. These memories swim in your head as fiercely as you surely must have, to have survived the ravages of the ocean and come up alive on the sands of this island. You can recall the flames, and you remember an ear-splitting rumble and roar... you remember the ocean stabbing and tearing at you, the long arms of Poseidon reaching around to pull you beneath. But you can barely remember how you survived, much less reached this small haven in the middle of a wide and barren sea.

And you cannot quite recall anything before the fire. The ragged clothing still clinging damp to your chilled body provides little clue to your identity, and though the faces around you seem familiar you cannot place them nor remember why they are important.

Worse, your companions seem to have suffered a similar fate... they have been plucked from a watery grave and set safely on this patch of land, only to have their own memories taken from them in payment for the safety of their lives.

Only one among you appears to have any idea at all of who he is and what has happened. The insignias on his clothing seem to suggest rank of some sort, and all have assumed that he was part of the ship's crew, perhaps even the captain. And at the moment, he has sequestered himself on a rocky spire to write and collect his thoughts... perhaps he will remember...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Awright, so who's the mysterious guy up on the rock spire? Is it one of us? Or is it fearless leader Kima?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Doh, forgot my manners, hi everyone, *shakes hands*, this looks like a fine mess ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
August, 1902 - The log of Kima, assumed captain of HMS Reliant

I can only surmise that I was a crew member of the now destroyed ship Reliant, for I still bear on my torn jacket and trousers the marks of rank and command. I cannot recall exactly what the stripes and their arrangement means, but I and the other survivors have assumed for the nonce that I was, in fact, the captain of this doomed vessel, and thus the tasks and responsibilities of leadership have befallen me.

There are a mere fourteen of us gathered now on this island, a paltry number compared to the numbers that surely must have been on the vessel. The cries of the dying ring in my ears still, and they must have numbered in the hundreds, at least. There appears to be ample vegetation and wild forest on this island, and I suspect that we will find food there to sustain us for a time. Of animal life there appears only to be the occasional sea bird, which suggests that other islands or even main land cannot be terribly far off, and an assortment of creatures that divide their time between land and sea: turtles, crabs, and the like.

I have not an idea yet of where exactly we are, or indeed, why any of us were aboard the Reliant in the first place. In truth, none of us that survived have memory extending beyond the wreck of the ship, and we all of us have lost memory of who we are. I do recall the names of the survivors, however, and that is a small comfort:

Anonymouse512
BagpipeDan
bowman
dalestephenson
Denise
Farren
LudesFactor
Melissa
Rostok
RoyalFlush
SecretSauce
seppi
xandryyte

In time, I am sure those memories will swim to the surface of consciousness once again. And in doing so, perhaps we will unlock the mystery of where we are and that in turn may help us find a way to return to civilization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Has anyone seen my pen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Funny, I looked in my GeekMail box, and found that my role PM was already read, but I don't recall reading it. Weird.

I would love to introduce myself to everybody, but I can't. I'm strangly disoriented.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fritz
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is bowman, and I'm a wolf.

What? I'm not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the end of the first day, the tiny band of survivors had found some detritus of the wrecked vessel washed ashore, a few crates and boxes of ship's supplies. They took all that they could, not knowing when some small and seemingly useless item might avail them later in their struggle to live. The wood they burned that night for warmth; though the air was not terribly cold, they all still felt the chill of the sea deep in their bones, and the comfort of the tiny flames drove away the horrors of the fire that had swept the ship.

When dawn came, they broke their fast on handfuls of water-logged food that had come from the ship. They would need this day to find food on the island, perhaps catch some crabs or turtles, and find some source of fresh water.

They soon realized that their Captain was not among them. This caused panic in the group, and they searched for nearly an hour before Melissa found him, bloody and torn and dead, some ways into the tangled jungle. He looked as if he had been ripped apart by a ravenous beast, or perhaps more than one.

His short journal they found not far away; it had apparently fallen from his pocket as the animals dragged him into the trees. Rostok read to the group in a trembling voice.

"He... he writes here that he remembered something last night... there were people on the ship... some people that... oh my... were sufferers of a terrible disease... caused them to become... werewolves??"

"Werewolves?" Dale repeated, skeptical. "Was our captain delusional?"

"He says it right here, plain as day!" Rostok said. "He writes that a few of them were being transported... to a place where they could be safely held, or cured, or killed if a cure did not work. And he says he recognized two of us as being these... things... oh my... that's all there is, the pages after are torn out and missing."

The survivors looked around at one another. Humans that became wolves? Two of them were claimed by the captain to have suffered this disease... but which of them had done this?

It's Day 1, you can start your discussions and voting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember this game starting so soon....

This is an odd situation for the Day One lynch. Everyone in the game is (as far as they know) good. So we're guaranteed to lynch an innocent, the voting records are meaningless, and there's absolutely no reason to give anything away.

Fortunately, kima's example shows that xandryyte is one wolf, and Latria is the other. That makes things easy. Trouble is, I can't remember if they're actually in the game.

Here's an easy plan that would take all the drama out of the proceedings. Everyone say who they plan on interacting with tonight. Since we're all good for the moment, no one has a reason to lie. Everyone choose someone unique. Then, whoever picked the deceased is lynched as a presumed wolf. Repeat the following day, Game Over.

Of course, that defeats the point in playing the game, so I don't actually advocate it. Trouble is, without it we are at the mercy of the fates. The vote today will be completely random. The following day one or more people may suspect they are a wolf. The day following that, both wolves will probably suspect who they are, though they still won't know each other. Voting records will be meaningless. While wolves will get clues, the other auxilary roles are likely NOT to activate, based on experience with seeker roles in LOTR games. To win, we need to get lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A strategy thought -- Seer, bodyguard, wolves all clearly benefit from targetting the living. Priest(s) benefit from targetting the dead. I think the biggest benefit to an individual will be to target the living at night (in case they are bodyguard, seer, or wolf) as long as a live person has been unchecked. Once memory has been recovered, that will shift.

Mod: if a priest has his memory triggered, will he learn the roles of those who were alive when he interacted with him, but subsequently died?

On that basis, I'll vote rostok. Nothing against him, but he was my Night 0 interaction, so he's no longer any use to me.

Mod: I can't remember the deadlines in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
SecretSauce wrote:
Hi, my name is bowman, and I'm a wolf.

What? I'm not?

I thought I was SecretSauce and also Spawn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:

Mod: if a priest has his memory triggered, will he learn the roles of those who were alive when he interacted with him, but subsequently died?

Mod: I can't remember the deadlines in this game.

First question: Up to the time the priest recovers his memory, I will rule Yes. Once the priest has recovered memory, he/she may ONLY interact with the dead.

Second question: Neither can I.

Oh wait, now I do.

Lynch deadline will be 4:00 PM BGG time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
dalestephenson wrote:

Here's an easy plan that would take all the drama out of the proceedings. Everyone say who they plan on interacting with tonight. Since we're all good for the moment, no one has a reason to lie. Everyone choose someone unique. Then, whoever picked the deceased is lynched as a presumed wolf. Repeat the following day, Game Over.

I can think of a really good reason not to go along with it - if I am a wolf, I will lose. As I don't know I'm a wolf, I refuse to help. Therefor, I lie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bowman wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:

I can think of a really good reason not to go along with it - if I am a wolf, I will lose. As I don't know I'm a wolf, I refuse to help. Therefor, I lie.

You don't know you're a wolf, but as far as you know, you aren't a wolf. The odds of you winning by following the plan would be the same as the odds of you being good (which are high). Blindly lynching people in the dark decreases your expected odds of winning substantially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowman wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:

Those were my thoughts as well ...

I posted some other thoughts on the sign-up thread just before the game started, maybe Kima will be a little more generous to us and give us two (?!) interactions per night. I know who I "interacted" with last night (and please, let's hope it was all consensual), but I learned nothing about myself, about this other person, only that I shouldn't bother to "interact" with them again.

If we all choose to interact with the same person, at least one person (and presumably only one?) gets their identity back (course the lucky "interactee" is now also dead).

Maybe we need to do this in groups of 3 or 4?? The odds are probably still against anyone finding their identity ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seppi
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
vote seppi

he looks suspicious as all get out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on, I'm gonna take off my jacket, swim out to the wreck of our vessel, and then fill my jacket pockets with stuff, just like Robinson Crusoe did.

I was gonna to comment on something else, but I forgot what it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
Hang on, I'm gonna take off my jacket, swim out to the wreck of our vessel, and then fill my jacket pockets with stuff, just like Robinson Crusoe did.

If you take off your jacket, how will you fill it full of stuff once you swim out to the vessel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah - Dale's plan

Dale, I agree that would work, but it sure takes the fun out of the game, and will probably make Kima cry big girly tears for ruining his new toy.

How about everyone say who they interacted with the night BEFORE, then people will have incentive to lie, and we'll have to ferret out the liars, and it'll be fun, like regular Werewolf?

It all boils down to, do you play to play, or play to win? I wanna play to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seppi wrote:
vote seppi

he looks suspicious as all get out

Yeah, ya clown, take the easy way out ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
Denise wrote:

If you take off your jacket, how will you fill it full of stuff once you swim out to the vessel?

That's what people have been asking about Robinson Crusoe for years.

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?fk_files=364...

(last paragraph, where he pulls off his clothes, swims out, then fills his pockets with biscuit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I interacted with SecretSauce last night. Don't remember a THING about it, hope I didn't do anything embarassing blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farren Bronaugh
United States
Auburn
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does each player have a unique key? That is, if I'm keyed to Player B, does that mean that no one else is keyed to Player B?

Assuming the answer to the above statement is "YES," my proposal is this: everyone should interact with the person who died the previous night, as it will guarantee that one person will regain their memory. It will help Evil out, since if Good gets lucky and lynches one of the two wolves right off the bat, the remaining wolf will at least know what sort of position he's been placed in. It will help Good out, since if everyone follows the plan, there is guaranteed to be no night kill.

If everyone acts with one person still alive, the chances are good that player will survive (bodyguard!), but if the person who was lynched had that player as his/her key, then it won't work.

Of course, if the answer to the above statement is "NO," then initially our interactions may as well just be random.

And I interacted with Bagpipedan last night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, he must have been one of them New Guinea reptiles, the ones with pockets, them Venusupials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.