Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's our second attempt at Season 2....

Extras used:
*Zombie Dogs
*Companion Dogs (mixed in the search deck)
*Toxic Crowd spawn cards (mixed in the spawn deck)
*Extra tray of zombies included
*Promo Survivors used (Rose, Zombie Kirk, and Ralph)
*Didn't play with resurrection rules

The Game:
We tried our hand at Mission 2 this time. It was a fairly small map and didn't look too bad. We were a little worried about the number of spawn points, but 2 were behind barbed wire so it won't be that bad right?

It started off nice and slow. We opened both buildings near the start and all of the zombies were trapped behind the security gate. However, each one had a toxic walker waiting for us on the other side... This resulted in no one wanting to go in so we searched and searched and searched...

Once someone found the riot shield, they went in and killed the zombies without getting hurt by the toxic spray. We found our first X and it was safe, no abomination. The next turn we find our second X but guess what? It's the blue X which means a berserker abom spawns and another spawn point is activated.... great.

The abom was not a problem at all. Someone had the concrete saw and Zombie kirk can kill them easily as well. He died promptly. No one is in yellow yet but at only 3 actions... it sure takes a long time to get past that security gate. We head to building #2 but the zombies are coming from the street... this isn't good!

A team of survivors defend the streets while 2 survivors still near 0 exp head to the next set of x's. Zombie Watts finds a flashlight which helps him find a pack of dogs. He's now armed with a nail bat, 2 dogs and a riot shield. We finally hit yellow but we can't keep up with the zombies in the street. To make matters worse, one of the barb wire spawns had an abom spawn. Incoming HUGE blob of zombies.

Once the massive horde of zombies came in, we were able to handle it but we're now in orange. On top of that, ANOTHER abomination happened to spawn in the last remaining barb wire area. Pretty soon we'll have about 30-40 zombies on us and there are 6 spawn zones constantly pumping out zombies! Sadly, we still can't find any gas for the flamethrower!

After going through 3/4 of the deck, we finally find some gas! The problem? Rose just had about 15 zombies enter her zone! She can't get away. Zombie Watts to the rescue! He just picked up the shove skill which will save rose and create a MASSIVE space of zombies to be burned. Rose burns the space down and gains 46 experience. She goes from yellow to orange x2 (ultra red).

The way is clear but we better hurry... red is brutal with 6 spawns! We quickly open the big building in the middle but 7 dogs are camping out in the middle. We're able to pick up an x or two but the spawns are just too much. People start falling left and right and we can't make our way to the last building. Watts pushes zombies out of his way but there are just too many zombies! Everyone dies but a good effort with luck against us!

Thoughts:

Good:
*Having the companion dogs in the search deck made it really fun to search and find one.
*The characters are much more interesting compared to the season 1
*Shove is amazing.

Bad:
*I didn't really like the mission. The barb wire spawns makes it VERY luck based. If an abom spawns behind one (or both) it makes the mission so much harder. If it doesn't happen, the mission is pretty easy.
*The toxic crowd spawn cards are worthless. Once you reach yellow and higher you can draw a card that spawns more than the 4 walkers that came with it. Dont' use the toxic crowd unless you have Toxic City Mall.
*Zombie dogs are way too hard
*Aboms are way too easy to kill. They are just experience feasts now.

I'm starting to think they tried too hard making the missions more interesting but the ideas weren't very well tested. The barbed wire spawn points are not very fun imo. The millions of switches in Mission 1 are overwhelming.

We got amazingly unlucky but it's a bit disheartening to play for 3 hours and lose mostly because the extra spawn point got activated extremely early and 2 aboms spawned in the barb wire areas. It felt like we were destined to lose which is fine for a quick game but for a 3 hour game... it's rough. It's a good story and a good memory but it was a pretty frustrating experience for all of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review!
How many survivors did you go with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 Survivors: Rose, Zombie Kirk, Zombie Watts, Zombie Joshua, Ralph, and Kim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How are the z-dogs?...my prediction is they make the game soooo much harder...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mordai wrote:
How are the z-dogs?...my prediction is they make the game soooo much harder...

He gave his opinion on Zombie Dogs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Game Butcher
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
It's a good story and a good memory but it was a pretty frustrating experience for all of us.
Good session report! Once again: couldn't agree with you more about the sligthly annoying Prison Outbreak missions. Well actually there is one thing I'd say that we found that was different: we were praying for an abomination to spawn behind the fences on our run through of this mission. Berserkers kept appearing and we had no way to keep their numbers down with them being trapped within the prison yard. Made the few that spawned elsewhere deadly. Spent most turns having to specifically hunt them down. This was not necessarily a better situation to be in than yours though.
Further to that we've actually completed up to Mission 6 and were starting to think the missions were improving. Then we tried Mission 7 and got completely fed up. We spent most of the time discussing switches and who is best to open which door, waiting turn after turn for everyone to be in the optimum order. Then just when we get our opportunity to act a run of bad luck meant we couldn't do as planned anyway. An attempt to salvage the situation ended in disaster, but frankly we were all relieved when the mission was over; we didn't have any enthusiasm left to carry on playing, repeatedly flicking switches and turning doors around. There may have been a work around, but none of us felt motivated to analyse or discuss it by this stage. The group is now taking a nice long break from the mission in the S2 booklet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch Jones
England
Telford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 'shove' is one of the most over powered skills. I won 2 PO Scenarios using that skill that i would have ordinarily lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Headless_Ned wrote:
I think 'shove' is one of the most over powered skills. I won 2 PO Scenarios using that skill that i would have ordinarily lost.

Yeah... we couldn't believe it when we read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Shove is crazy good. Reminds me of Left 4 Dead 1 where you could (and did!) just melee shove your way through an entire level. PO's area control skills are extremely potent.

I suspected that zombie dogs would be truly horrifying to go up against, but it's nice to have some confirmation on that point. I'll probably include only one spawn of them to keep them as a truly fearsome but very rare and manageable foe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Charette
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
*Aboms are way too easy to kill. They are just experience feasts now.

They are still as hard to kill (if you do not play with kirk). I played M01 last night and we never found the concrete saw or a set of the molotov items. Also, with the ability to move 2 space per activation, the berserker abomination zombie can become quickly annoying. We had to trap him in the rotating security gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.