James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not necessarily an Obama hater but this is pretty bad

It's from wired.com so it must be true...
whistle

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/10/obama-nixon-media-w...

The President Barack Obama administration has “chilled the flow of information on issues of great public interest,” according to a Thursday report that amounts to an indictment of the president’s campaign pledge of a more open government.

“The administration’s war on leaks and other efforts to control information are the most aggressive I’ve seen since the Nixon administration, when I was one of the editors involved in The Washington Post’s investigation of Watergate,” Downie said.

Among other conclusions, the report found that the White House:

* Employs the internet to “dispense” favorable information while hindering efforts of a “probing press.”

* Often calls reporters and editors complaining about news stories.

* Spokesmen are “often hostile or unresponsive to press inquiries.”

* Has secretly seized telephone records from The Associated Press and Fox News.

* Declared in an affidavit for telephone records that a Fox News reporter may have breached the Espionage Act in reporting about the United States’ monitoring of North Korea’s nuclear program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ho-hum! As if the Bush/Cheney administration hadn't happened!

For a reality check, check out: http://www.yuricareport.com/Media/BattleForControlOfThePress...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

you're a racist and its all Bush's fault.... oh sorry, I get so used to hearing that....

so if Bush did it, then you are cool with it ?
Both men were wrong regardless of party. the difference is Obama ran on being the most open administration and has become the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shogren
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

For a reality check, check out: http://www.yuricareport.com/Media/BattleForControlOfThePress...

Many in the forum declare with certainty that Bush was the worst of the worst ever. Some, like myself, might see that claim as bit of hyperbole, but I've begun to change my mind...

Why? Because now folks see Obama doing stuff they didn't like when Bush did it and instead of getting up in arms about it (because it really ran opposed to their values), they blindly accept it and endorse it by dismissing it's current incarnation as nothing more than the continuation of the actions once done by the villain that they once so opposed. If the death of principles started with Bush, then perhaps the claims of the worst are justified.

It boils down to 'It's okay when our guy does it and it's evil when your guy does it.'. But in the end, it shows only a loss of principles and values by everyone.

Get a backbone and stand up for something for a change. If it was crappy under Bush, its still crappy under Obama. It doesn't matter if he's your guy or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
Most transparent administration EVAR!!

From the DNC web site, their platform page:

Quote:
We are committed to the most open, efficient, and accountable government in history, and we believe that government is more accountable when it is transparent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Peasley

Albany
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
bjlillo wrote:
Most transparent administration EVAR!!

From the DNC web site, their platform page:

Quote:
We are committed to the most open, efficient, and accountable government in history, and we believe that government is more accountable when it is transparent.

Agreed. Obama has really dropped the ball on addressing this in a satisfactory way.

Shame neither party lives up to their platform promises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Audacon wrote:
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

Many in the forum declare with certainty that Bush was the worst of the worst ever. Some, like myself, might see that claim as bit of hyperbole, but I've begun to change my mind...

Why? Because now folks see Obama doing stuff they didn't like when Bush did it and instead of getting up in arms about it (because it really ran opposed to their values), they blindly accept it and endorse it by dismissing it's current incarnation as nothing more than the continuation of the actions once done by the villain that they once so opposed. If the death of principles started with Bush, then perhaps the claims of the worst are justified.

I don't think most people do that, even those who support or supported Obama. Most of the people I know who voted for Obama (once or twice) are appalled at the current administration's continuation and extension of the Patriot Act and related policies. I don't think pointing out that they began in earlier administrations is excusing or endorsing them (and while the Patriot Act came on the scene on Bush's watch, the Bush Administration was far from the first US administration to spy on American citizens or infringe their civil liberties).

Quote:
Get a backbone and stand up for something for a change. If it was crappy under Bush, its still crappy under Obama. It doesn't matter if he's your guy or not.

Absolutely. On the other hand, there are other, unrelated areas where I still find Obama a far better president than Bush was, or than McCain or Romney would have been.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Controlling the "media" (whatever "media" really means) and controlling the "message" are two wildly disparate things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.