Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I am new to preordering board games, as in never having done it before. I noticed that CoolStuffInc has the game on pre-order for 32% off retail price of around $80 and I was interested in preordering the game. The questions are I suppose:

If I pay the $53.99 now do I have to pay the difference in retail at release or do I just pay the cost displayed and that is it?

How can they charge such a low price for preordering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Campbell
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games are frequently sold, and available for preorder, at online retailers for significantly below retail MSRP. Since they are able to order from distributors in bulk, they pay a much lower price for their stock than your average friendly local game store. They are thus able to pass some of the savings on to you.

You do not have to pay any type of difference between the discounted price and MSRP. You simply get the game for the price you paid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LotrScaper wrote:
Games are frequently sold, and available for preorder, at online retailers for significantly below retail MSRP. Since they are able to order from distributors in bulk, they pay a much lower price for their stock than your average friendly local game store. They are thus able to pass some of the savings on to you.

You do not have to pay any type of difference between the discounted price and MSRP. You simply get the game for the price you paid.

I appreciate the friendly reply. It's interesting. I am a video gamer converting to board gaming and it's really different how the two markets operate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Galbraith
msg tools
mbmb
It's generally how things in general operate on the internet. Look at Amazon for books, movies, music and see the significant decrease in costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Middleton
United States
Wise
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is true, but 32% is a lot of discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Campbell
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperor_nero wrote:
That is true, but 32% is a lot of discount.

A discount of 20 - 30% off MSRP is fairly standard for large online game stores like CSI when it comes to boardgames.

The best analogy in the video/pc gaming world is digital distributors like greenmangames or Steam, but even those sellers are limited in their ability to discount.

There are very few pc/console game publishers because of the high cost of entry. This is particularly true in the console world, where a lack of competition has led to something approaching collusive price fixing.

In the board gaming world, there are a multitude of board game publishers, which means more competition, and thus lower costs. Moreover, since the product is always physical, publishers compete not just for consumers, but for distributors and game store shelf space. Very few have the luxury of requiring their games be sold only for a certain MSRP. Basically, the free market actually works in the lower entry cost world of boardgames (to a certain degree).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Batou Romaine
United States
New York
flag msg tools
When is the release date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone know what the UK RRP will be? Also, has anyone been able to pre-order it in the UK?
We normally get short-changed a little, as quite often $79.99 will equal £79.99 when we buy it over here.
gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hm, bit of a lack of replies there!

Well, I ended up buying it from OG Games. In truth, it was the only place I could find a pre-order in the UK.

£54.99 with £2.50 postage in case anyone else is after it;
http://www.oggames.co.uk/OG003378-battlelore-2nd-edition.htm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.